SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trip/Hauling Advice...Yellowstone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip/Hauling Advice...Yellowstone Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
We are taking the family out to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Parks. I have not driven this route ever and will be the designated driver since my wife is terrified to drive my GMC 2500HD with a 28-ft trailer on it. My truck only has a 26gal diesel tank...Why?...I don't know. Anyway, I have no idea how far apart refueling stations are and was thinking about bringing a auxiliary tank of some sort. Any recommendations? Most I have seen online are many hundreds of dollars to over $1K. I have no idea what size I really need, nor have I towed anything quite this big before.

We are renting the travel trailer (bumper pull), probably weights around 5K lbs. My dad has nearly the same truck, but a regular cab and it's rated for 14K lbs with his gooseneck trailer. The rental place is also supplying a weight distribution hitch.

Any recommendations on an affordable tank and hauling tips are most welcome. Thanks!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I last went up there in 1985. I can't imagine you'd have any trouble finding a filling station. I rode a motorcycle with a ~150-mile range and never had a problem. Even then there was also heavy RV traffic. These obviously weren't diesels, but diesel fuel is much more common (at other than truck stops on the interstate) now than then. However, fuel anywhere near the parks, let alone concessionaires within the parks, will cost a lot more. If you wish, perhaps a few jerry cans of diesel, filled up before you leave at the cheaper station and carried with you, might be something to look into.

Posts: 27947 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure when you are taking this trip nor what route you are taking but if any part of your route takes place on I-80 in Wyoming there are plenty of truck stops and places to re-fuel.

Is your trailer open or enclosed? I ask this because winds can be very fierce on parts of I-80 in Wyoming. I have seen many vehicles and semi's with trailers be blown over.

I know there are many forums members here who have lived and worked in Wyoming who can provide some great insight. I only worked out there a short time and relocated at the worse possible time (January.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would look at gasbuddy.com and see the location and price of diesel fuel.

http://www.wyominggasprices.co...263940&sid=2934&ft=A

Just move the map along your route and check location to see if they have diesel and the price.

So you are saying that you do not have a permanently mounted hitch on your truck rated for the trailer??

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We have driven to, and through Yellowstone at least 5 times. Admittedly not in a diesel vehicle. However, even way back when we never had a problem with refueling. And I am pretty sure it has gotten better over the years.

To be safe, I would just get a couple of 5 gallon fuel cans, fill them with diesel and carry them along. 10 gallons of diesel should provide at least 100 miles of reserve.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I would plan on driving 150 miles per day inside the park. Clearly you do not have to, but I would use that in my calculations. It's been about 10 years, but if I recall there was one fuel source inside the park, it is not what you would call complete either.

We planned our days to include trips to towns bordering the park. Typically around 1500 we would get gas, ice, groceries, and a meal. Then a drive back into our camp ground, arriving about dark.

I'm betting an extra 10 gallons of fuel would be plenty. Unless you have zero desire to leave the park.

If you are unfamiliar with the west the distances are intimidating. Notice that all states fit onto the same size map page, pay attention to scale. 100 miles between towns with any sort of service ( fuel, groceries, post office, roller grill, all under one roof ). 1/4 tank is EMPTY.

Make absolutely certain you have a reliable spare and a way to change it. I just spent 7 hrs waiting on a repair halfway between Fargo, ND and Bismarck, ND. I was originally quoted 13 hrs, I shit you not. Self reliance is sorta important. I was in a semi, but that time frame is not typical near even the least populated parts of MN.

It's been my observation that Super Duty Deisel pickups are just about as common as any other class of vehicle. Lots of work rigs out there that are pulling trailers. Just be aware that services are not every 25 miles and you'll be fine.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You sure don't want to run out of fuel in a diesel pickup. I agree with reflex/deflex: when there's 1/4 tank remaining it's time to fill up.

Posts: 26900 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuel is plenty available. Plan on a consumption at 1/2 of what it gets empty, so don't plan on driving on less than 1/2 tank.

Posts: 1081 | Location: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Spare(s) for the trailer as well.

Although I don't visit much anymore, I seem to remember waiting a long time behind large RV's and towed trailers. Keep in mind, the roads are steep and narrow in many places without turnouts on many. A 28' bumper pull may be an adventure if you don't tow a lot, especially in places like the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Although more expensive, I'd seriously look at a 5th wheel. It may be worth it depending on your distance to go and budget, I'd rather pay to put in a hitch and rent the trailer than tow a bumper pull. If it's a travel trailer, it might be 5k empty and pushing 7+ loaded with water and such. More if you pack heavy.

Not having towed anything through the park, fuel was not a concern for me, fill up close to the entrance if needed and I was fine even at 13mpg. If I was you, I'd add two 5gal cans of diesel and be happy.

I'm sure you're familiar with towing, but even if you have the Duramax Diesel, don't tow in OD and that type of thing.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you going to be driving on US212 (Beartooth Highway)? Very scenic, but not really large vehicle/trailer friendly.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
I was there last summer with only an SUV and had no issues with finding gas stations. There are at least 3 gas stations in Yellowstone. I would always fill the tank once you are 1/2 empty.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The larger tank was an option in your truck.

Fueling stations shouldn't be an issue. But, for just this trip, I'd buy or borrow a few 5 gallon gas/diesel cans with diesel in them and throw them in the bed and secure them. Cheap enough and 10-15 gallons should get you anywhere you need to go.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As many have said gas will be a problem.

But make reservations now.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/plany...isit/campgrounds.htm

I stayed at Fishing Bridge, hard side only, and used it for a base to the park.

Also have stayed here and it was nice.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/yellowstone-park/

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You didn't say where you're coming from, so I'm not sure what route you'll be taking....but if it's from the east, you should be fine on fuel stations. We drove out through South Dakota on I-90, went up to Devil's Tower, and then came across Wyoming on US16, 20, and 14. As long as you're smart about filling up (I usually start looking for a pump once I hit half a tank), you shouldn't have to worry about finding fuel stations. Our truck is a gasser, but everybody out there drives trucks (or huge RVs), so Diesel is readily available.

Be prepared for steep, windy, mountain roads...not the most fun to drive with a trailer. Make sure your brakes and tires on both the truck and trailer are in good shape.

I hope you have reservations already for camp sites. They fill up really fast in the park, and a rig that big is going to limit you somewhat as to what is available to you. If you can't find something in the park, there are lots of NFS campgrounds on the east side on US14 that we passe don the way in, as well as a number of commercial places...but it would be a long drive in every day.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
You'll be alright; we have diesel trucks out here too. You should not need to buy an auxiliary tank, but use your head about fill ups, especially since you'll still be getting used to the truck's mileage range pulling a trailer.

FWIW, our infamous winds are not as prevalent in the summer months. Best advice I can give you is probably to pick your camping space early in the day and use one spot in GTNP to explore that NP and southern Yellowstone. Then do the same thing moving north. Find your spot early in the day and tour out of there. Have a great time! The two Parks will meet or exceed your expectations. Keep your sense of humor about summer traffic and the other tourists.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We always stayed outside the park in West Yellowstone. There are several RV campgrounds there if you can't get a reservation. I always did a lot of photography. If you want to see the most wildlife, plan to get up once or twice before daybreak and be in the park at daybreak.

We always did this and by 10am returned to the campground, rested did chores, any sightseeing, and headed back into the park about 3pm since the animals are more active late afternoon through dusk. We always went late September or the last week of May, so adjust your times accordingly.

We always ran into people complaining about not seeing a lot of animals, other than buffalo, and this was always because they went in the middle of the day. You will see animals any time of the day but they are not as active in the middle of the day.

There is a campground just inside the West Yellowstone entrance that usually has elk in the campground.

You should have a wonderfull time.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Two spare tires for the trailer. Make sure you have the tools to change them as well. You'll need a jack for the trailer. Travel trailer stablizers are just that and aren't intended to lift the wheels off the ground.

Spend some time making sure you have the hitch setup well. You also want the trailer loaded correctly. You want 10-15% of the loaded trailer's weight on the tongue. Closer to the 15%. The trailer needs to be loaded before you set up the hitch. Once everything is hooked up, your truck should be level and trailer level or slightly nose down.

Also, make sure you adjust your brake controller in the truck for the trailer you'll be towing.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
We drove to Yellowstone from Las Vegas 2 summers ago. Our tow vehicle is Gas (V8), towed 18ft travel trailer. 3 adults and 3 teens. I don't think there is a need to add (and spend) for auxiliary tank. When we did our trip, I top off the gas tank once I see it go down to HALF. Soon as I see the next gas station, I fill up.

We camped inside Yellowstone for 7 days (Fishing Bridge). It is the only full hook-up camp site inside the park.

Enjoy your road trip.

Posts: 1885 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I traveled the whole country back in 2005,2006 in a Ford F350 Power Stroke pulling a 38ft. fifthwheel. Up and down the east coast.back and forth up and down. Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce and Zion, Yosemite to name some of the parks. Up the west coast from San Diego to Anacortes WA. Never a problem finding fuel. When the gauge was hitting 1/4 start looking for fuel. We also used a phone app called Gas Buddy.

Fan of Sig, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Browning, etc, etc.

Posts: 168 | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post