SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please tell me about Green Bay/Kewaunee, WI
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please tell me about Green Bay/Kewaunee, WI Login/Join 
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted
I just had a second interview for a job running a new fisheries research vessel on the upper Great Lakes for USFWS. When not underway, I would be splitting my time between the two above locations. (assuming I get offered the job).
It's a big step down in pay, but also a big reduction in responsibility and stress. The offshore oil and gas business is just awful and getting worse, I'm looking at a potential layoff next month (after 5 consecutive pay cuts over the past 2 years).
So what's good and bad?
Where are the good schools?, I'll have one in 1st grade and one starting preschool next year.
How is the housing market?
Gun laws?

I have another interview on Friday to take command of a USNS ship out of Norfolk, VA for a heap more money, but I already know all about that craphole, so I'm leaning towards the frozen North.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have a football team in Green Bay that seems to attract a lot of attention!
Heard tickets can be hard to obtain.
Only visited there during off season for football.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
They have a football team in Green Bay ...

Number one reason not to move there. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Cold as shit in the winter, really really cold, then again the three weeks of spring, summer and fall are very nice....

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Green Bay is very nice in the spring-summer-fall.
Door County and surrounding national forests are fantastic as is the "top" of Lake Michigan.
Wonderful country if you have interests in the outdoors.
I travel to Wisconsin frequently for work. I have found Wisconsin people to be extremely friendly and almost overly helpful. Hard core Midwestern values.
Only downside is Winter. If you get involved in winter sports (skiing,ice fishing,snow mobiles etc)you would probably be happy there.
Wisconsin seems to be booming. The Governor has done wonders since he was first elected.Of course this is coming from somebody that is pinned down in Chicago.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Well, the “good news” is that I would be off Dec, Jan, and Feb every year. Though the kids would still be in school, I could slip off to the Caribbean to run yachts or something every winter.

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
The place for a burger in Greenbay.
Als

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
How do your feel about cheese? How do your feel about the cold?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Bratwurst and beer. Two of the necessities of life.

As was mentioned, upper Wisconsin is beautiful for 3/4 of the year.
Winters up here can be a bitch, but the past few have been quite mild.
Summers, you might see a few days in the 90°'s, but it doesn't last long.

If you're working fisheries maybe you can prevent them from netting nearly all the Chinook and coho like they accidentally did a few years ago. Made our charters pretty sparse for a couple years. Otherwise good fishing. Lake Michigan, you'll find rainbow, brown and lake trout; chinook and coho salmon. Besides perch, bass and walleye. Inland, you can go for sturgeon.

Deepest part of Lake Michigan near there...over 800' deep near Door Peninsula.

Gun laws are great now. Concealed carry by permit, open carry, no magazine restrictions that I know of.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For many, WI has a good quality of life for families. The gun laws are great, though we’re late to the CCW movement.

WI is a ‘purple State’ though we have been solidly red the last 8 years or so with Gov Walker. The unemployment rate is currently 2.9%.

Don’t let the cold weather scare you off. This time of year 50 and light wind feels great.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
I have lived in Green Bay for 15 years. Born and raised in California.

The schools in the area are top notch. Lots of opportunities abound for your kids in the area. My three kids go to inner city Green Bay High Schools. I have never had a problem and the teachers are great to work with.

But. Damn. Damn. Is it cold. My favorite months are September and October. Deer hunting is great. Gun Deer Season is a special time of year here in Wisconsin.

Did I mention that it is cold? Summers are great. In general, the people here are very family orientated and most people that live here grew up in this region.

Posts: 316 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention.......the housing market has been picking up this past year. Homes on the market don't seem to last very long if they are priced well. Lots of new homes going up everywhere. The past two years this area is really starting to grow.

But, especially if you like rural living there are lots of homes for sale in the country near the Kewaunee area.

Also, there is a GREAT meat market there in Kewaunee. Also a great cheese factory with a store that sells fresh curds. Get used to fish fry on Friday if you come.

Posts: 316 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I think the others have mislead you about one fact.

Winter is 368 days long in Green Bay.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of people from the Yoop travel to GB to shop, use the airport and medical facilities. Pretty decent town overall.
And we actually have seasons. Winter and August.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
So, let me get this straight... I'm getting the distinct impression that the weather there is rather on the... 'cool' side? That's what you guys are saying?
So my South Florida Sonny Crockett ensembles will only be good for three season wear, and I will need to buy some socks to go with my loafers. Got it.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Learn how to ice fish and buy a good pair of boots and a snow thrower

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Don't go cheap on the socks, and you may make it through 1 1/2 seasons. Big Grin

My dad grew up just north of Green Bay, in New Franken. A very nice rural area, but still close to Green Bay. Kroll's East Restaurant has good burgers and chili. It's an old style dinner that hasn't changed much since my dad and his friends hung out there in the 50's.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
my South Florida Sonny Crockett ensembles

Big Grin

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in SE WI. What I can't stand more than the cold winters (especially in Northern WI) is the clouds for weeks at a time. I would never move back just for that simple reason. I'm a sun person. If you love the sun you will tire of WI quickly. The fishing is great. Hunting. Lots of lakes and water activities. Decent schools. Heavy drinking population, so be aware that's a cultural thing up there. Dining is ok, but about the only thing I miss is a Friday night fish fry. Pretty friendly, typically good-natured folks. Of the towns in WI that would be worth living in, Green Bay wouldn't be bad. It is pretty nice for a few months a year.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
So, let me get this straight... I'm getting the distinct impression that the weather there is rather on the... 'cool' side? That's what you guys are saying?
So my South Florida Sonny Crockett ensembles will only be good for three season wear, and I will need to buy some socks to go with my loafers. Got it.

3 seasons, try 3 weeks. Any longer than that and somebody might ask you to "sq-eel like an pig!"
Your cloths better say Oshkosh and your boots better be high, with laces.
Your hat will have a gun related tag or farm implement brand on the front.
Formal wear would be Camo.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post