SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Un-biased (I hope?) Basics of Nutrition
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Un-biased (I hope?) Basics of Nutrition Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:I was diagnosed in 2012 with a fasting BG of 340 and an A1C of 11.2. This week my FBG was 102 and my A1C 5.5. But I've had it as low as 4.9. Metformin only no insulin. It's all about the carbs.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were diabetic. For you, carbs are trouble.

No problem at all. But honestly, I consider the diabetes more of a side effect of the sugar/carb addiction. Based on family history, I knew that I was predisposed to addiction, and thus avoided substances known as addictive such as drugs, alcohol, tobacco, sex with super models, etc. Sugar snuck in under my radar.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

The domestication of livestock for dairy use hasn't gone so well either, I think I read that about 60% of the world's population is still lactose intolerant.

So, after these 10,000 years or so of widespread grains and dairy, humans don't seem to have genetically evolved to handle it very well yet.

Just a wild stab at a nearly impossible question. Wink

http://healingplacemedfield.co...edged-sword-oatmeal/ -real quick read, first paragraph. I don't know this author or her nutritional take.

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/E...c/Cereal%20Sword.pdf -not a quick read, by Dr. Cordian, founder of the Paleo diet so he definitely isn't whole wheat's biggest fan.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I also buy bulk organic fruit in the summers and can or freeze-dry those.

Do you have your own freeze dryer? They've come down in price a lot over the past three years. How do you store the freeze-dried foods?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

Do you have your own freeze dryer? They've come down in price a lot over the past three years. How do you store the freeze-dried foods?

I do. Harvest Right. And yes, they have come down a lot. As far as storage, mostly I use mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. For stuff that I'm going to use fairly soon I vacuum seal in Mason jars.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The domestication of livestock for dairy use hasn't gone so well either, I think I read that about 60% of the world's population is still lactose intolerant.

So, after these 10,000 years or so of widespread grains and dairy, humans don't seem to have genetically evolved to handle it very well yet.

Just a wild stab at a nearly impossible question. Wink

http://healingplacemedfield.co...edged-sword-oatmeal/ -real quick read, first paragraph. I don't know this author or her nutritional take.

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/E...c/Cereal%20Sword.pdf -not a quick read, by Dr. Cordian, founder of the Paleo diet so he definitely isn't whole wheat's biggest fan.

It just reminded me so much of this scene from Snatch. Haha

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/iEQQ13jdccc

It is funny when you think about the fact that humans are the only mammal that still drinks milk in adulthood.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

I do. Harvest Right. And yes, they have come down a lot. As far as storage, mostly I use mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. For stuff that I'm going to use fairly soon I vacuum seal in Mason jars.

My wife wants to do this in the worst way. We just don't have the space right now. It'll happen when we finally get a house though, guaranteed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Drinking water on a regular basis is also an important aspect.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is funny when you think about the fact that humans are the only mammal that still drinks milk in adulthood.

I used to drink milk all the time, until that was brought to my attention. I quit. I couldn't tell you how long ago that was. 35 or 40 years, I guess?

I do recall there was hardly anything better than a stack of cookies and a cold glass of milk Smile

(I don't eat stacks of cookies, anymore, either.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

I used to drink milk all the time, until that was brought to my attention. I quit. I couldn't tell you how long ago that was. 35 or 40 years, I guess?

I do recall there was hardly anything better than a stack of cookies and a cold glass of milk Smile

(I don't eat stacks of cookies, anymore, either.)

"But where do you get your calcium?" Is a common response to people saying they don't drink milk. The first time I picked up a container of almond milk and looked at the label I LOL'd, it said "30% more calcium than milk" Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Glad to hear oatmeal is still a good idea because I sure do like it once in a while. Especially with a little honey, cinnamon and some raisins. Maybe that blows it nutritionally, but I don't think so.

As for other cereals being all that bad I can't scientifically dispute it, so I guess I'm doing my part to help future generations adapt. Oh wait, no kids of my own. OK I guess we'll just call it a vice of mine and carry on.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again, it isn't about perfection or absolutes, but about making better decisions and healthy(er) not black and white healthy/un-healthy.

Dr. Cordain, founder of the "Paleo" diet is pretty hard core with his opinions on what you should and shouldn't eat, and yet even he says to eat 85% Paleo, not 100%.

If you don't know what Paleo is, it is eating any veggies, un-processed meats (free range grass fed preferred), fish, eggs, nuts (and seeds Dakor Wink ) and fruit. Big no's are no dairy, grains or beans (because they contain harmful anti-nutrients).

So, even if you commit to this diet in accordance with the founder's recommendations, it is 85% of the wide variety of meats, veggies, fruits and nuts and 15% of the other stuff you want. Pretty broad and not that hard to stick to.

However, let's contrast that with the absolutely absurd USDA recommendations or the food pyramid 45%-65% carbs? Crazy. The only good thing I can say for the current pyramid (2017) is they at least moved grains from the base of the triangle up a rung and veggies are now the base. Now, if we can get them to see the light on the other ones and keep going!

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Post workout actually is the best time for carbs and BCAAs.

I disagree wrt to the BCAAs.

BCAAs have the characteristic of being directly metabolized in the muscles, as opposed to the liver. Thus, taking BCAAs during intense workouts, be it strength training or cardio, will increase endurance.

The common recommendation is for 5g each before, during and after workouts. The trainers with whom I've spoken have rated the importance as during, before, then after, in that order.

I usually only add BCAAs to my workout water. My post-workout protein powders all have BCAAs in them. For my Challenge I've temporarily added 5g of BCAAs before the workout, as well, to "pre-load."

quote:
On Black Friday we have a tradition of hiking 30+ miles. I made it 26mi before even eating anything at all (since T-Day dinner the eve prior), I wasn't hungry and had plenty of energy.

I think I may be getting there?

Today was a cardio day. I went first thing in the morning to beat the predicted snowfall. Usually in the morning I'll have a breakfast bar. (Low-carb protein bars right now.) Found I simply wasn't hungry. So I had a glass of water, mixed up my workout drinks, and went to the gym. Did 30 minutes of high-ish intervals. My legs got tired during the workout, but never gave out and I never felt hungry. By the time I finished my post-workout stretching my legs were no longer tired.

Had my usual post-workout shake (currently one scoop of ON Gold Standard 100% Whey protein and 5g of creatine).

I'm still not hungry, I was up at 07:00, and it's nearly noon.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Post workout actually is the best time for carbs and BCAAs.

I disagree wrt to the BCAAs.

BCAAs have the characteristic of being directly metabolized in the muscles, as opposed to the liver. Thus, taking BCAAs during intense workouts, be it strength training or cardio, will increase endurance.

The common recommendation is for 5g each before, during and after workouts. The trainers with whom I've spoken have rated the importance as during, before, then after, in that order.

I usually only add BCAAs to my workout water. My post-workout protein powders all have BCAAs in them. For my Challenge I've temporarily added 5g of BCAAs before the workout, as well, to "pre-load."

quote:
On Black Friday we have a tradition of hiking 30+ miles. I made it 26mi before even eating anything at all (since T-Day dinner the eve prior), I wasn't hungry and had plenty of energy.

I think I may be getting there?

Today was a cardio day. I went first thing in the morning to beat the predicted snowfall. Usually in the morning I'll have a breakfast bar. (Low-carb protein bars right now.) Found I simply wasn't hungry. So I had a glass of water, mixed up my workout drinks, and went to the gym. Did 30 minutes of high-ish intervals. My legs got tired during the workout, but never gave out and I never felt hungry. By the time I finished my post-workout stretching my legs were no longer tired.

Had my usual post-workout shake (currently one scoop of ON Gold Standard 100% Whey protein and 5g of creatine).

I'm still not hungry, I was up at 07:00, and it's nearly noon.

I was never into bodybuilding, I'm not up on all the pre-post-during workout nutrition stuff.

Yeah, once your body becomes adapted to primarily using fat for energy it is a lot easier to go long periods without eating because it isn't expecting quick burning carbs all the time.

When fasting, I have found that any "hunger" I feel around meal times isn't real hunger, it is just a conditioned response combined with perhaps some ghrelin (hunger hormone) secretion as well. Even on a 24hr plus fast, the "hunger" I feel for the couple hours around a meal time is about the same as on days when I'm eating 3 meals.

It is really cool to be metabolically flexible like that (the way our bodies are designed). Steady energy, skipping meals due to work or whatever doesn't matter. I do it strategically to save time and burn more fat. My job has me in the field in burned up houses a few times per month. On those days, I never ate lunch anyway, too busy. Now, I just skip b-fast, skip lunch due to being busy (and don't even notice) and get a solid 18-22hr intermittent fast in, then enjoy a large meal for dinner, usually at a restaurant (I may be travelling) and it is a fat loss day!

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was never into bodybuilding, I'm not up on all the pre-post-during workout nutrition stuff.

I'm not so much "body-building" as "body-maintaining." Or maybe a bit "body-improving" Smile

When I joined Life Time Fitness over twelve years ago (when it was still a cool place, then), new members got a free "body age assessment." I was 54 at the time. They told me I could hit a body age of 45 if I did all the right things. So I proceeded to do all, or most, of the right things. Most of the time.

I guess it worked, because I feel only marginally less able than I felt 12 years ago and people, when I tell them my age, are flabbergasted, thinking I'm at least ten years younger than I am.

The supplement thing happened almost by accident. My wife and I were at Costco. They had Muscle Milk (the original) on sale. I bought it on a whim. Lo and behold: I found that having that protein shake directly after a workout reduced DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) significantly. Found out about BCAA by happenstance, too. Further DOMS reduction and marginally better workouts.

The reason I know about the optimal use of BCAA is because I studied the heck out of it before buying my first can.

Creatine is the only supplement I purposely set out to buy and use.

quote:
Yeah, once your body becomes adapted to primarily using fat for energy it is a lot easier to go long periods without eating because it isn't expecting quick burning carbs all the time.

*nod*

I'd never really thought about it that way. This thread has been something of an eye-opener for me. Or perhaps filling in a missing bit of the puzzle.

I'm finally having a light lunch (large cup of home made fish soup, which my wife was careful to keep as low-carb as feasible), after beginning to feel like "Hmmm... food sounds good right about now."

It'll be interesting to see how my body feels tomorrow morning, after this morning's semi-intensive cardio workout and the snow I expect I'll have to clear later today.

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is valuable and timely for me. I've always done a protein shake (I alternate between whey and plant based) directly after my workouts. A few months ago I started adding a BCAA to my water for sipping during the workout. I was just starting to wonder if this was even necessary since protein has amino acids anyway. Sounds like I should continue.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eating isn't really there to be enjoyable

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
A few months ago I started adding a BCAA to my water for sipping during the workout. I was just starting to wonder if this was even necessary ...

I was once wondering if BCAA was doing anything for me... when I inadvertently ran out. I did experience a drop in endurance.

posted Hide Post
Sigh. Such a waste of bandwidth.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calorie Basics

Not sure how well known this info is so I'd figure I'd post it:

Different macro-nutrients have radically different calorie amounts per gram. Protein, about 4 cals per gram, carbohydrates about 4 cals per gram, fats 9 cals per gram and alcohol 7 cals per gram. These are approximate (there's rounding), if you look at the macros on a nutrition label and do the math for the fat/carbs/protein, it should be really close.

It should jump out ('cause I bolded it Big Grin ) that fat has more than double the calories, or put another way, double the nutrient/caloric density as carbs and protein. This is not good, or bad, it just is. However, can be very useful info.

Fats are great survival food, lots of calories (gets the Inuit through the winter). Also, a good way to feel satisfied on less food. I can assure you, despite the prevalence of oversimplification ("it doesn't matter what you eat so long as it is less energy than you expend"), eating 2200 calories of fat will feel way different than 2200 calories of carbs, just in terms of hunger (either would leave you malnourished Wink ).

Next concept Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and daily caloric needs. BMR is how many calories you need each day just to survive, breathing, heart beat etc. at your current weight (maintaining it). So, if you stayed in bed all day with a bedpan and food delivered plus a TV remote of course. The simple formula is bodyweight times 10. There is a very complex formula taking into account age and gender with confusing math, but each time I bothered with it, it was within 100 cals so I don't see the point. 180lbs BMR equals 1800 cals.

To get your daily caloric needs, you multiply the BMR calc number by an activity factor. 1.2 for sedentary, 1.4 for moderately active, 1.6 for very active (athlete). So, our 180 lb person would stay at 180 as an office worker (who doesn't workout) at 2160/day so we'll round up to 2200. If they workout a few times per week, take the stairs etc. times 1.4 = 2520 (2500 close enough). Let's give our example person the benefit of a doubt they workout some and say 2500/day will maintain their current weight.

I have found when I am tracking calories, this easy math is pretty darn close. Close enough (considering it isn't an exact science) to be useful in determining either a weight loss or weight gain (muscle hopefully) target cals/day.

You can fine-tune it of course just by tweaking the activity factor. Lets say the math puts you at 2400/day maintenance and you used the 1.4 activity factor. So, you track all your calories every day for 2 weeks and get a starting and after weight. At the end, your average daily calories were 2800/day yet you ended within a lb of where you started. Maybe up your activity factor to 1.5.

Final item (mentioned previously), fat contains approximately 3,500 cals per pound. So, a reduction of 500cals per day (from a maintenance level) should result in 1lb per week of fat loss. However, in the real world fat loss is not linear!!!!! Our bodies are constantly adapting, week to week it may look like -2, -1, -2, -.5, +1.5 (you freak out), etc. You are feeling like crap that final week, yet averaged out it was .8lb per week. Pretty darn close!

I'd also bet $ that if you put (identical twins or clones) person A on a 2200 cal/day diet of crap and person B on a 2200 cal/day healthy whole food diet (same workouts, same everything else), person B would lose more weight owing to a more efficient body working at a more optimum level.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Fascinating, useful info Strambo. Thanks! I'm going to copy and paste that into a doc for future reference.