SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer geeks New Hard Drive ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer geeks New Hard Drive ? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
I am considering a new hard drive for my desktop (Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB) question is, it does not have any cables or mounting hardware will that create any problems or should I look for one with cables and hardware?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
You should open your case and check that first. Some cases have toolless mounting, you just slide the drive in. Others have brackets in a drive tray you slide out and mount the drive to it then slide it back in.

If worst comes to worst then you can buy a bracket that will fit most cases, if you don't know your case model.

As for cables, they don't typically come with drives. You need to find out what cable your drive needs and make sure your board accepts it.

You also need to check what kind of power to connect the drive and make sure your power supply has that type of connector. This is mostly only if your power supply is very old or the drive is very old.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
If you are removing the old and replacing, you will use your existing cables/hardware. If you are adding a second drive, you more than likely have the extra power cables inside already (usually 3-4 depending model), but will probably need to get the SATA cable. Open it up and look for the extra 4 wire power cables. And also look on your motherboard for an extra SATA slot. SATA cables, and mounting screws, can be bought at a local computer store.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
https://www.newegg.com/Product...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If this is the drive your looking at, you need a sata power connector coming off your power supply. This has been around for more then 5 years so you most likely have it, but it helps to verfiy.

you'll also need a sata cable, something like this Again check your board and how the case is set up, you might want 90 degree or straight depending on the layout.

This link has all the brackets and screws you could hope for. Again check your computer case, most likely all you'll need is some screws.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Also you should be able to get the model number of the existing HD from your device manager and ID what type of HD and what kind of connectors it has...

quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
https://www.newegg.com/Product...ALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If this is the drive your looking at, you need a sata power connector coming off your power supply. This has been around for more then 5 years so you most likely have it, but it helps to verfiy.

you'll also need a sata cable, something like this Again check your board and how the case is set up, you might want 90 degree or straight depending on the layout.

This link has all the brackets and screws you could hope for. Again check your computer case, most likely all you'll need is some screws.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of logrusmaster
posted Hide Post
What are you using the hardrive for and how much space are you actually using?

SSD is the good stuff but if you want and need 2TB maybe not.

-------------------------
If not me then who? If not now then when?

Posts: 618 | Location: Earth | Registered: August 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post