SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automotive Batteries
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automotive Batteries Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I have always used Die Hard or AC Delco batteries at or just under 900 CCA. I purchased two Die Hards about two years ago rated at 730 CCA, biggest they had. One apparently has a bad cell and I need to replace it. With no more Sears around us, who else makes a good battery. There seems to be so many companies out there making them, but I’m Leary about most of them. Any recommendations? I’m running a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I would go with EastPenn/Deka. Their batteries are sold under various other name brands. Oreilly Superstart brand is one.

Interstate is made by Exide.

Your Die Hard batteries were made by Clarios/Johnson Controls.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Interstate batteries

Posts: 1535 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've had success with the Maxx battery line at Wal-Mart. Johnson Controls manufacturer.

My 2004 Sierra's battery OE battery was replaced with one in 2010 at about 80k. My daughter got the truck in 2012, she traded it in 2016 with 157k and that battery was still in it.

Installed one in my '67 Pontiac also in 2010, just replaced it May of 2019. And just installed one in my '12 Wrangler as replacement for the OEM one.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a plain ol lead acid battery you won't go wrong with Interstate.

Also, if you have a batteries Plus in your area, stop in there and talk with them. A good selection and prices are competitive.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Optima Red is in my truck.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interstate, and you should change batteries in pairs, otherwise the old but still good battery will wear down the new one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Project Farm-Which Car Battery is Best? Let's find out!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 95 | Location: Southeast Michigan -- Downriver | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Given current times I no longer care what brand name is on my batteries. All I care about is 'cost' and 'warranty'. As such, my last two batteries have been Walmart MAXX and they seem to be doing just fine.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walmart MAXX seems to hold up on my 3 pickups

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Around me Advance Auto will run sales and offer a $50 gift card with purchase of their gold battery. Those have done well for me but in south Texas the continual heat kills batteries, not cold. My batteries last about three years. I ran those on my diesels with no issues.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I believe I remember reading on many forum battery threads that there are only two lead-acid battery manufacturers, and all nameplates are solely for marketing thereof.

I prefer the AGM form of battery, but hate to pay the top dollar for it. It is about $200 for a Group 48.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I would go with EastPenn/Deka. Their batteries are sold under various other name brands.
The shop I've used for decades stopped carrying ACDelco and recommended Deka. "Good" or "Better" were my two choices and I replaced my OEM 6-year old ACDelco with the 'better' Deka. The 4.8L V8 again fires up like it is brand new ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Have had good luck with these, but since joining Costco, and they sell Interstate...

Lots of "internet scholars" claim that these are not the same (i.e. lower quality) Interstate batteries as the ones sold through other more traditional Interstate vendors like gas stations, mechanics...

Does anyone have first hand knowledge on this topic?

quote:
Originally posted by wxl:
Walmart MAXX seems to hold up on my 3 pickups

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Whatever brand, buy the most powerful that will fit in your truck. Same size batteries can differ in CCA, yet the cost difference is minor.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are only a few mass battery producers, HOWEVER they're made to different specs for Walmart and others, easiest to compare is the better battery is going to have the higher CCA and higher weight (AGM vs AGM, etc.) You also have some boutique manufacturers such as AGM Lifeline, etc. Get the highest CCA and warranty for your size. Even Deka has several levels of quality of battery. You want a real treat, go in the back of an Advanced Auto to use the restroom, look at the pallet of batteries they're shipping back (cores), most of them are Advanced Auto batteries, AND, most of them are relatively new......a year old +/-

Regular brands my preference would be
Interstate
Motorcraft
Deka
AC Delco or Diehard

Boutique brands are better than the above but much more expensive
AGM Lifeline
Odyssey
Optima- (these are no better than the normal batteries since they moved production to mexico several years ago).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://www.consumerreports.or...ying-guide/index.htm

More or less mirrors my thoughts on the issue.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Optima Red if it will fit (have one in my 2005 Tahoe, but they don't make one for my VW Golf).

Second option is the best battery that Napa has in stock with the high cold cranking amps.

Third option is an Interstate battery.

I try to buy my batteries at NAPA as there is almost always a Napa within a few miles even in rural areas. I live in a very rural area with only 3300 people in my town. We drive 25 miles to the next big town to get groceries and supplies.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Everstart Maxx from Wal-Mart.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Maxx at Walmart. An added plus is that if you travel and the battery goes belly up, your warranty will be honored at any Walmart. I know.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post