SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automotive Batteries
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automotive Batteries Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^this^^^
Surprisingly.

Posts: 590 | Registered: December 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Take a picture of the receipt with your smartphone.

I tried just today to get a battery exchanged under warranty at Sam's Club. I figured they could look it up in their system, but I had let our membership lapse in 2018 while we were gone for three months. Apparently, when I resigned up, I got a new member number and all of the info under my old member number was deleted. To Sam's Club's credit, they still handled it, but I should have had the receipt.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Optima red. The best, and worth the extra cost. Starts up my 8.1L GMC every time in very cold weather. Used the Optima 6V for years in my Porsche 356, and never failed me even after months of storage.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck416:
quote:

^^^this^^^
Surprisingly.

Project farm’s tests are entertainment only. He even admits as such. I won’t go into all the errors he makes in that video here, just go to the comments section and check it out.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have a EastPenn Dekka distributor here that I buy batteries from for the golf cart, motorcycle, may do that for the truck next time.

Last one was a 5 year WalMart Maxx that lasted 3.5 years, so just outside full replacement, buying a new battery at Advance using 20% off online and some discounts net cost $67. Half the Walmart cost.

Basically in FL a battery lasts 3 years, doesn't matter which one I get, the heat is brutal on them...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
Ive been researching batteries online and have found very little information available. I’m planning on replacing my 8 year old factory flooded battery before I have to start traveling in the spring.

For what its worth here are the options that I have come up with (in no particular order).

1) An odyssey battery (top of the line AGM from Autozone for $250.

2)Gold series flooded battery from Advanced Auto for around $150.

3)Dealer replacement flooded battery for $190.

The orginal 8 year old battery was made by johnson controls.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J387:
Ive been researching batteries online and have found very little information available. I’m planning on replacing my 8 year old factory flooded battery before I have to start traveling in the spring.

For what its worth here are the options that I have come up with (in no particular order).

1) An odyssey battery (top of the line AGM from Autozone for $250.

2)Gold series flooded battery from Advanced Auto for around $150.

3)Dealer replacement flooded battery for $190.

The orginal 8 year old battery was made by johnson controls.

For the price difference I'd consider the Odyssey.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Given current times I no longer care what brand name is on my batteries. All I care about is 'cost' and 'warranty'. As such, my last two batteries have been Walmart MAXX and they seem to be doing just fine.

Here too. I have them in my truck and tractor and they have worked fine

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Autozone bought the Diehard brand from Sears and will be selling Diehard batteries soon, if not already.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Autozone bought the Diehard brand from Sears and will be selling Diehard batteries soon, if not already.

No, Advanced auto parts bought Diehard batteries in Dec 2019, they are manufactured by Johnson Controls which also makes duralast batteries (Advanced auto's brand).

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Lets see...I have a Walmart Eversart maxx in my wife's car, my tractor and my old chevy. The one in my tractor has been there for five years now. It's a great battery and reasonably priced at around a hundred bucks.

Not sure who makes it, probably Johnson Controls but it's a good one.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop by a "Batteries plus Bulbs" store and have them fix ya up.
Their Duracell batteries are made by Deka.

Since you have a diesel and if living in a cold climate, I'd recommend their Xpower or Odyessy battery.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AGM batteries handle vibration better and have less self-discharge.

I just upgraded my airplane battery to a lithium. Man are those great. The cranking amps are insane, and you can let it sit for 3 months and it won't lose a fraction of a volt of charge (while a lead acid may be a brick by then). The downside is they are easily double the cost of a lead acid battery.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
If I properly looked up your vehicle, you need a size 48 battery. Per Consumer Reports here are the top rated batteries:

What I've found interesting is the brand that gets the top ratings varies by battery size.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2005 Dodge 2500 w/Cummins and I had to get batteries for it in 2014. I searched and researched and decided on CAT batteries from a nearby Caterpillar dealer.

I understand that there are only a couple (or a few?) battery manufacturers, but it's also my understanding that they build different batteries to different specifications - some having a higher bar to beat than others. With at least two hard drive crashes since 2014 I've lost my links and data, but I had come across a comparison between batteries built for Caterpillar vs. standard automotive batteries and the CAT batteries were built to a higher standard.

Edit to add:

This is the model of Caterpillar battery I bought:

https://parts.cat.com/en/catco...high-output/230-6368

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Advanced auto parts bought Diehard batteries in Dec 2019, they are manufactured by Johnson Controls which also makes duralast batteries (Advanced auto's brand).

Johnson Controls also makes the Everlast Maxx batteries for Wal-Mart.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any experience or information on installing AGM battery into a vehicle that originally equipped with a conventional battery charging system?

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
AGM are the exact same lead acid chemistry as standard wet cell batteries. There's no problems using them in a standard charging system.

However, due to their construction they can be charged faster than a wet cell battery so charging systems designed for AGM batteries will cook a standard wet cell battery.

Posts: 10828 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Bought an Optima red to go in my truck back in 2011 and it hasn't died yet. I did drain it down once when installing a CD changer and swapping out the fog lights.

Bought another truck last year, was going to Advance to get another red battery. Yikes! They cost twice as much now. Eek

Went with a returned battery that was on the counter. They tested it out at over 1,000 cranking amps and were asking $60 for it. Been good so far.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
AGM are the exact same lead acid chemistry as standard wet cell batteries. There's no problems using them in a standard charging system.

However, due to their construction they can be charged faster than a wet cell battery so charging systems designed for AGM batteries will cook a standard wet cell battery.

THIS. No issues putting AGM in a vehicle designed for lead acid.