SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Cider Vinegar anyone? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone here using apple cider vinegar for health reasons? I heard years ago that it may help with weight loss, and just yesterday was speaking with a woman who was attributing her lowered blood pressure to taking apple cider vinegar. Also supposed to be good for reflux, which I have. My blood pressure is starting to creep up, and who couldn't stand to lose a few pounds. So is anyone one here taking it, and for what purpose? Good results? Any down side besides that it tastes like crap. Do you take it in the morning or evening? Before or after meals?

I'm going to give it a try but would like to hear your experiences if any.

Thanks

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Fifty plus years back my Dad was on the honey/apple cider vinegar kick. He read some books authored by IIRC a Country Doctor regarding the benefits of both honey and ACV.

Rodale press I think. Forget the Authors name.

I'm sure the internet is full of info as well.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I put a little in my first glass of water in the morning after I eat. I also put a little in the water for the dog and chickens. Can't really testify to any benefits from it but I'm still kicking and feisty as ever.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Ugh! I've heard of people using it but never heard of it really doing any good. Brings back old memories.

Slight thread drift.

Back in early 60s while in High School I worked summers in what was then the worlds largest vinegar plant. Every fall they ground apples for the juice (don't even ask about all the trash and critters which got ground up with the apples) which was put into large wooden tanks and allowed to ferment. When ready for making vinegar the fermented juice was pumped into huge tanks filled with charcoal and circulated through the charcoal which speeded up the natural transformation of fermented juice (alcohol) into vinegar (acid). The stuff was stored in other tanks until pumped into the plant and bottled or put in old whiskey barrels. Worst part of the job was climbing down into those big tanks and cleaning them out.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere to use organic A/cider. 1tblspoon in 4oz of water. Rinse, as vinegar is hard on tooth enamel. Only been doing this A couple of months.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I tried it for a couple weeks but it gave me really bad stomach acid so I had to stop. The reading I did says it should not do this but it really messed me up.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I use Bragg's apple cider vinegar.
Raw and unfiltered.

It's available at Safeway and Feed Meyer's (Kroger) near here. Amazon have the stuff, just make sure it is Bragg's.

I have a tablespoon in 8 oz of water every morning. Followed by another 8oz. of just water.

The reason for the additional water is rinse away any residue that can affect your teeth.

And an examination and reduction of the daily sugar intake is also beneficial to weight control.

When buying Bragg's I look for the residue on the bottom of the bottle, that when shaken is disseminated throughout the bottle.

For summer, I make up a jug of water, 4 tablespoons of the stuff with honey and stir. Placed in the fridge for a cool drink. I cook with it, adding a little to a banana bread recipe.

But then, I grew up with liberal amounts of vinegar on the fish and chips; no problems with the acidic nature for moi.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
My wife was taking a shot of the Bragg's mentioned above every morning for a while. If you want a list of things it DOESN'T fix - just let me know Wink haha jk

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
It works for my reflux and tends to not make me very hungry at all when I take it with a couple of garcinia cambrogia tablets early in the day.

Posts: 1536 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've been using Braggs for several years. I keep it in the fridge and just take a big slug out of the bottle every am and chase it with cold water, same way I used to do Jack Daniels. Helps with sugar cravings and eliminates heartburn. Don't know of any downside. Aldi sells a good brand of organic cider with the mother/residue in the bottom of the bottle.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have heard a couple of older folks say it helps their arthritis.

I take a shot daily after lunch and sometimes after a heavy meal. It does help with heartburn and seems to speed up digestion a bit.

There is no way to make it pleasant to drink. Shoot it and follow with water.

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
I give my pup Annabel 6 tablespoons per day of Braggs organic preventatively for UTI's. Seems to do the trick.

YMMV. Wink

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I use it when I make BBQ, and BBQ makes me happy and being happy is good for your health. how's that for transitive reasoning! Big Grin

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My mother swore by it, she said it completely eliminated the arthritis pain in her hands, that had been pretty severe.

I have started taking it as a mix for arthritis in my neck and it does seem to be helping my pain and range of motion little.

I also add local honey for taste and to potentially help with allergies.

My recipe, found online, is a variant of the "jogging in a jug" once sold in stores. I may try taking it twice a day… or increase the vinegar in the mix as the mix doesn't supply enough I don't think. I need to do the math...

1 can frozen apple juice.
1 can of frozen grape juice.
1 1/2 cup of Bragg's apple cider vinegar Raw and unfiltered.
1 1/2 cup of local honey.
Water to make one gallon total mix.
Keep in the fridge in a milk jug.
Shake before using.
I take a 2. or 3 oz daily.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I've tried Bragg's for acid reflux but it didn't work for me.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using Bragg for a couple of months and both wife and I notice a drop in B/P. We add local honey also.
Good tip on Aldi. Will check it out next visit.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Can't hurt you in small amounts, but I don't know that there is any truly convincing science that it really helps. Just anecdotes.

Like most folk remedies. I know Granny swears by it, but unless Granny did a double blind study with a thousand subjects and followed them for five years, Granny doesn't really know.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Fifty plus years back my Dad was on the honey/apple cider vinegar kick. He read some books authored by IIRC a Country Doctor regarding the benefits of both honey and ACV.

Rodale press I think. Forget the Authors name.

I'm sure the internet is full of info as well.

It was Dr. Jarvis. He fitted me for my first pair of glasses

https://www.amazon.com/Folk-Me...Health/dp/0030274109

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Windex do the same thing, including the healing of warts?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use it to catch fruit flies when they suddenly appear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post