SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cast Iron Skillet vs. 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Iron Skillet vs. 9mm Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Something every handgun shooter should know. Or do you? In a pinch would shielding yourself from gunfire with an iron frying pan work for you?

As a bonus, does caliber matter? Comment if you think 9mm would be a cinch, but not so easy for a .40 or the venerable .45ACP.

(If you already know the answer, feel free to vote, but don't ruin it for others.)

Question:
Would a Lodge cast iron skillet stop a 124 grain 9mm FMJ shot with a semi-automatic handgun from 20 yards away?

Choices:
No. It'd punch a hole straight through.
Partially. It would make a mean inward dent that could cause you injury, but not fully penetrate.
Yes, it would stop the bullet, leaving a superficial surface scratch.
Not only stop, but deflect the bullet with nary a scratch.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I think the bullet would fracture the cast iron into multiple pieces.

But I’m not sure.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would think it would probably stop it. But most likely damage it some. Probably still usable though

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Don't go punching holes in my pans!

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking the OP has actually done the test and is going to show us the results in a little while?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Something every handgun shooter should know. Or do you? In a pinch would shielding yourself from gunfire with an iron frying pan work for you?

As a bonus, does caliber matter? Comment if you think 9mm would be a cinch, but not so easy for a .40 or the venerable .45ACP.

(If you already know the answer, feel free to vote, but don't ruin it for others.)

So ummm....do you have a video to show us or some type of follow up?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I am being tempted to discover the answer, but that wouldn't be nice to the neighbors at 4:40 AM. Smile

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cast iron brittle , so much damage,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hold it in front of me when it is shot at!! Eek

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is no secret to those of us who regularly shoot at steel targets.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
You guys know that google is a thing?

https://youtu.be/GA7IWwpr7Nc

That’s one of 90,000 videos of people shooting at pans.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My buddy shot an iron skillet with his cap and ball revolver in 1972. So I have some experience that suggests what a 9MM would do.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If it will stop a rifle bullet, surely it stops a measly 9mm.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DennisM, you beat me to it. All I thought was "Pan Shot".

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
cast iron brittle , so much damage,

Yep, old cast iron pans are not real steel targets.
Years ago, a friend picked up a couple of old cast iron pans at a Goodwill and we hung them with rope on a target stand. We destroyed them in minutes using 9mm and.22LR, we didn't even get to shoot 5.56 at them.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/gkY4GEhHyek

From this video it looks like the bullet shatters when it hit the cast iron (lead splash on bottom), and a section of the cast iron is blown out continuing alobg the bullets trajectory.

I would think ANY energy used by the bullet to bust the cast iron, would be energy that isnt going to hit you. So blocking couldnt hurt. May not be the best, but every little bit helps.

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Interesting video. I guess I will stop wearing my skillet to the mall.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
https://youtu.be/gkY4GEhHyek

From this video it looks like the bullet shatters when it hit the cast iron (lead splash on bottom), and a section of the cast iron is blown out continuing alobg the bullets trajectory.

I would think ANY energy used by the bullet to bust the cast iron, would be energy that isnt going to hit you. So blocking couldnt hurt. May not be the best, but every little bit helps.

But what if you used a Lodge© skillet? Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What kinds of grease are the skillets seasoned with?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post