SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "From NASA To Amtrak, These Are All The Government Agencies With Tactical Teams"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"From NASA To Amtrak, These Are All The Government Agencies With Tactical Teams" Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You mean if we defund the police (tactical teams), the need for them won't just disappear?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I didn't see the Dep't of Education listed. I thought I read some years ago that they had bought a significant number of firearms. I can't imagine what they need them for. Actually, I can't imagine that we need that department.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Dept of Ed do have guns. Many years ago I had one get on my plane, per airline rules they have to give the crew paperwork, and announce themselves. She came up and said “I’s gots a gun.” Really made me feel confident.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Although they all don't have tactical teams, I can't think of a Federal agency that does not have an armed Law enforcement contingent these days.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
Dept of Ed do have guns. Many years ago I had one get on my plane, per airline rules they have to give the crew paperwork, and announce themselves. She came up and said “I’s gots a gun.” Really made me feel confident.

That would be their OIG. I can give you dozens of examples of fraud and various forms of criminal conduct that would involve Social Security - identity theft, beneficiary fraud, illegal aliens using fake numbers, credit card fraud, SSA beneficiaries who are wanted for various crimes from murder to drug running (Social Security assists the Marshals and other agencies when a beneficiary is involved and we can be helpful). I'm sure there must be some crimes that would involve the Dept of Education. But it's hard to think of many. Perhaps fraud on loans administered by the department. I would like to see how many arrests and prosecutions they are involved with. I'm guessing it can't be many, but I could be wrong of course.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I didn't see the Dep't of Education listed.

You didn't see them listed in this report on tactical teams because they don't have a tactical team. None of the several dozen federal Offices of Inspector General have tactical teams.

But yes, Department of Education OIG Special Agents are law enforcement. They investigate crimes relating to stuff like fraudulent financial aid applications, student loan scams, embezzlement of education grant funds, fake college diploma mills, bribery of officials to obtain federal education funding, etc.

And like all law enforcement, they are armed. Believe it or not, "white collar" criminals don't all go peacefully when someone shows up to arrest them. And not everyone involved in "white collar" crimes are the stereotypical fat, balding middle-aged guys sitting in an office behind a computer and bilking the system out of money... Many hardcore criminals involved in stuff like gang activity, drug trafficking, and the like also engage in "white collar" crime too. It's all about the money, however they can get it, whether's it's slinging dope, trafficking girls, or getting a fraudulent Social Security or student loan check in the mail.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
From the article, which is dated 9/16:
quote:
This has been in response to continued protests, which have at times led to violence, that have emanated from the the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota in May, as well as other instances of police brutality that seem to disproportionately impact African Americans.

That's about 3 paragraphs in, and is as far as I read. If that's the slant of this article, I think I'll pass on reading the rest of it... Mad

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
And not everyone involved in "white collar" crimes are the stereotypical fat, balding middle-aged guys sitting in an office behind a computer and bilking the system out of money...

Bingo.

A regular exchange at the Marshals when I'm there to process/book:

Them: "Charges?"

Us: "Bank fraud, Aggravated ID Theft, and Felon in Possession."

Them: "Gun charge?"

Us: "Yup."

The good news is that often they already have BOP register numbers, so the cellblock deputy doesn't have to input ALL of the biographic info.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Unless there is no other agency then this is another reason why our country is heading to hyoer inflation and devaluation of our dollar. We waste tax money on unnecessary things due to perceived needs. I would think the FBI team could handle anything CONUS. We are almost to the point where we can't pay the interest we owe, I guess when our country goes into financial collapse we will find out what we really need. Any private business would need to justify benefits of anything they have and non essentials usually get cut. How many businesses scaled down during Covid just to survive? Not our government though, they can print more money until it's worth nothing.

So, who will pick up the FBI's investigative mission, and how will that be funded? What you propose, based upon demand, is turning the Feeb into a full time tactical unit. And how do you propose funding all the additional equipment for the FBI?

I think you may still be buying into this idea that everyone has a SWAT team because it is cool, and they are just sitting around doing nothing but looking at their "toys". ("Toys" was what everyone in the 2000s called reasoning for tactical units, so I suppose in 2020, it's still toys, eh?).

The realistic view is tactical teams in 2020 are turning down operations because they are stretched too thin. Fed teams cover vast areas, and are in high demand. All federal teams, to include the ones that you look at the why and you scratch your head over. They may work for the USDA, or whatever, but wind up serving a FBI warrant out of the local RA. So, feds then use local teams. Guess what? Local teams do local stuff first, and loan themselves out to the feds second. This often causes agents to serve their own warrants on people that by all means should be a SWAT call. This leads to mistakes, and lawsuits due to the fact that they aren't properly trained or equipped to do the job they were sent into.

Lawsuits cost money.

Basically, you can choose to pay for it now. Or you can pay for it on the back side.

And as an addendum, bean counters in agencies look to cut special teams and training first when they are in need of money to cover budget shortfalls. There is no magical SWAT union that has kept these teams afloat. If they couldn't justify their piece of the pie they got defunded. (ala all of the teams that popped up in the 90s that have went away since). Liars and hacks like Radley Balko and Peter Kraska made a fine living off of seeing a tactical team behind every tree, and "researching" a false narrative at the CATO institute on it for years. They were the golden goose of these types of threads for years.

The sad state of affairs is LE special operations in busier than ever. It's a cross section of the society in which we live.

You want to save money? Figure out how to decrease the type crimes that create the demand. THEN you will be onto something.

I want to save money? Nope, I want to see our country avoid the inevitable financial collapse we are charging full speed toward. I guess the govt is obligated to address every need regardless of where the funding comes from. I sure you run your household the same way, even when there's no money you keep spending. The fact is that if we keep spending like we have and never address the way our government runs none of this will matter. It really doesn't matter how many of these needs there are (and no I'm still not convinced they all need this) if we can't pay for it. There's no money, that's the bottom line, we have been paying with IOU's and it cannot be sustained.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
You mean if we defund the police (tactical teams), the need for them won't just disappear?

You mean if we just keep printing money it will all be ok since we need this? Maybe you can tell me how we are paying for all these things since nobody else can. Us Americans think we can have it all and the house of cards will never collapse. It just doesn’t work that way and stating that there’s a need but never stating how to pay for it doesn’t justify the need. Financial ruin is closer than you guys think. Live it up while you can, it’s not going to last.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Pay now, pay later.

You choose.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Something tells me the money for these "tac teams" is a drop in the bucket of government spending, wasteful or otherwise.

You could slash them all today and not make a dent in spending.

You should probably look elsewhere if you want to curb spending and, frankly, short of literally shutting the entire government down, you're never going to stop the train.

One doesn't make a dent in trillion dollar deficits by cutting a few millions here and there.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

One doesn't make a dent in trillion dollar deficits by cutting a few millions here and there.

If you eliminated, outright, the Federal government's civilian non-DoD workforce, every last body: You'd cut the DISCRETIONARY spending of the government by less than 7%. That's roughly how much the entire non-DoD Federal workforce costs out of the whole discretionary budget.

The other 93% of discretionary spending would remain (OK, theoretically, because it might be a problem to send hundreds of billions of dollars of grants, loans, and guarantees flowing downstream without civil servants.) 100% of the "mandatory" spending would remain, which is a MUCH bigger slice of the fed.gov budget budget and includes such things as entitlement programs (Social Security and Medicare alone are almost 40% or TOTAL Federal spending) and debt servicing.

I purposely leave DoD out of this equation because their civilian workforce is vast, and the military has become dependent on civilians to keep huge swaths of the military machine oiled and running. But if you axed them, too, you might save a few more percent on the discretionary side.

My agency's total budget is $138M. We're one of the ones everyone is routinely shocked and outraged about, the "why do they NEED sworn agents... with GUNS???" crowd. The annual cost of all of our law enforcement "toys" like body armor, communication equipment, firearms, ammunition, keeping vehicles on the road, training facility costs, other training to maintain compliance with Attorney General's Guidelines under our empowering legislation, and the like, come to well under 0.5% of that. Measured by our FTEs("Full-time-equivalent" slots)sworn LEOs are also less than 30% of the agency's workforce. The rest are auditors, administrative staff, support employees, etc.

Law enforcement in any of its "tactical" or other forms are an utterly insignificant part of the tax and debt burden on the citizenry.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
If you eliminated, outright, the Federal government's civilian non-DoD workforce, every last body: You'd cut the DISCRETIONARY spending of the government by less than 7%. That's roughly how much the entire non-DoD Federal workforce costs out of the whole discretionary budget.

Further perspective:

There are around 2,800,000 of these non-DoD federal employees.

Out of those, around 5,000 are federal law enforcement officers on tactical teams.

quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Law enforcement in any of its "tactical" or other forms are an utterly insignificant part of the tax and debt burden on the citizenry.

Indeed.

posted Hide Post
I would assume most of those teams are additional/collateral duties for their members. Could be wrong but I doubt the NIH guys report to work like that hoping for a "call-out".

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
True for the smaller agencies/teams, but a number of them are full-time tactical teams.