SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well/Water Treatment Experts, a moment of your time?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well/Water Treatment Experts, a moment of your time? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Water Test from daughter's new well just came in, numbers look pretty good and it's approved under EPA standards for domestic use, so there's that.

Two numbers are high:

Iron .61 mg/L (recommended limit is .3)

Manganese .13 mg/L (recommended limit is .05)

pH is 7.27

Is there a cartridge type filter that will help with these numbers?

If not, what is recommended?

In fact, is there really a need for anything at all?

The well at her old place was NASTY and required an expensive and maintenance-intensive multi-stage filtering system and we'd REALLY like to avoid going there again.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My iron level was .81...

my dad put in two filters that use green sand to get the iron out....they are backwashed every two days with a bleach type product....

now the level is zero

and I can tell you that at the EPA allowed level of iron-you can still taste it in the water.

Go see a local well driller or plumber in the area and get the right kind of system for the area she is in.

All of my neighbors use salt to "soften" their water (it takes out the iron) but the discharge for their systems put salt water into their septic system and kills the good bacteria-they will be having poo problems in the future.

The bleach remnants in my system gets discharged elsewhere and not into the septic.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup, she had the green sand system at her old house. Backwash on a timer, quarterly ($$$) visits from the water treatment folks to replenish chemicals.

Worked well enough, but an expensive pain in the ass.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
She can get the same system and instead of having them re-fill it-she can DIY..

My system uses big ole tablets I put one in every week...the 5gal bucket full of them is about $120-ish and it lasts a year....the initial cost is expensive but for $120-ish a year...it's worth it to me...and barring any tornados or comets the sand should last indefinitely

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
My well was drilled through 260' of solid Texas limestone. I don't know the actual iron content coming out of my well, but I know it's high enough to require the replacing of a Pentek 20" Big Blue sediment filter at least once a year. It sits just ahead of the water softener and has a deep orange color when I replace it.

Once a month I pour a cup of Iron Out into the saltwater tank to ensure the media stays clean enough to do it's job. I am down to 1000 gallons on the dial in-between regeneration cycles, but that's partly due to the high calcium content of the well water besides the iron content. I know when I need to add the Iron Out when the shower soap no longer feels slick.

My salt water discharge goes directly into the drain leading into the house. Interestingly, I have never had a problem with it killing off bacteria in my aerobic septic system in the 11 years we've lived here. In fact we've only needed 2 septic pump-outs, the last one this year.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The well water here is 17 times harder than the city water supply. We use potassium chloride in a water softener rented from Culligan $23 per 40 lb bag. I bought 4 bags yesterday at Costco.

Salt ruins the plants.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I don't like them locally (cause they prey on the elderly and ignorant), but aqua-clear has a good product that will remove those contaminants.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post