SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sometimes it's hard to be a woman : Sarah Palin's "perpetual gut punch"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman : Sarah Palin's "perpetual gut punch" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Yet another female ex-presidential candidate that can't let go of the past. I guess since I'm a man that I "just can't understand" how they cannot get the fuck past it.

Sarah Palin's "gut punch"

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not being in the woman shoes, I may not fully understand how she feels, but I do believe she was wronged in many ways.... not only by McCain, but by many in the republican party as well. She was mocked, ridiculed, dismissed and generally disrespected. I would have a level of bitterness as well if this was me.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
McCain seems like the loser here. He is selling her out. He is de facto blaming HIS loss on her. If John McCain had any regrets about HIS choice of 2008 running mate, he should have kept them to himself. HE was a poor campaigner in 2008 and he's been on an ugly downhill slide ever since.
:

Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor and John McCain’s 2008 running mate, reportedly said she feels a “perpetual gut-punch” every time she hears about McCain’s regret in picking her for his team.

“That’s not what Sen. McCain has told me all these years, as he’s apologized to me repeatedly for the people who ran his campaign,” Palin told The Daily Mail. She said over the years, "I stop him all the time and say, 'Please don't apologize.'"

McCain wrote in his book, “The Restless Wave,” that he regretted not choosing his friend, Connecticut Senator Joseph Lieberman, as his running mate, calling it “another mistake that I made,” according to The New York Times. McCain reportedly wrote that his advisers warned him against picking her a vice-presidential candidate who caucused with Democrats.

His advisers picked Palin, the Alaska governor and Tea Party favorite.

“I attribute a lot of what we're hearing and reading regarding McCain's statements to his ghostwriter or ghostwriters,” Palin said. “I don't know unless I heard it from Sen. McCain myself.”

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If my running mate, who, after all these years, has been telling me he picked the right running mate in me, but now, literally at death door, he tells the whole world that he should have picked someone else, I'd feel the need to respond, too.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
McStain is an angry POS

However, as a former Alaskan, I can tell you that the state only has 2 degrees of separation not 6. She was despised by everone I knew from Wasilla (including high school class mates) and everyone in oil & gas. Alaska had not yet recovered from her disastrous ACES tax “strategy” when the 2014 worldwide oil & gas downturn hit (oil & gas is over 80% of states revenue direct and indirect). Pretty big double whammy for the permanent fund. She was definitely more popular in Lower 48 than Alaska.

She isn’t very smart but she is media savvy. She needs a lot of validation and the one of the reasons for her poor results as governor is she surrounded her self with yes men to get validation instead of surrounding yourself with people who can run things.

McStain isn’t validating her any more and to her that must be like cutting off the drug you’re addicted to

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We're talking about events of a decade ago- a decade- a substantial portion of one's life. Nature provides humans with coping mechanisms, one of which is to feel less hurt over time. This wasn't the death of a child. This was a political loss involving people who have made a career of politics. If you can't handle defeat and can't handle ridicule, you really should not be a politician, especially at this level. (are you listening, Hillary?)

Time to get the fuck past it. Ten years. It's past time to get past it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If my running mate, who, after all these years, has been telling me he picked the right running mate in me, but now, literally at death door, he tells the whole world that he should have picked someone else, I'd feel the need to respond, too.

This ^^^^^

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We're talking about events of a decade ago- a decade- a substantial portion of one's life. ...

Time to get the fuck past it. Ten years. It's past time to get past it.

Then maybe McCain should do so. I agree with Q and don't blame Palin for responding.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Terrific, you agree with Q.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
McStain is an angry POS

However, as a former Alaskan, I can tell you that the state only has 2 degrees of separation not 6. She was despised by everone I knew from Wasilla (including high school class mates) and everyone in oil & gas. Alaska had not yet recovered from her disastrous ACES tax “strategy” when the 2014 worldwide oil & gas downturn hit (oil & gas is over 80% of states revenue direct and indirect). Pretty big double whammy for the permanent fund. She was definitely more popular in Lower 48 than Alaska.

She isn’t very smart but she is media savvy. She needs a lot of validation and the one of the reasons for her poor results as governor is she surrounded her self with yes men to get validation instead of surrounding yourself with people who can run things.

McStain isn’t validating her any more and to her that must be like cutting off the drug you’re addicted to

I agree with tatortodd.

Sarah Palin isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. But John McCain chose her. He could have chose Joe Lieberman, which IMO would have been equally bad but for different reasons. But it was HIS choice.

McStain is an angry POS

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
She was mocked, ridiculed, dismissed and generally disrespected.

Deserving if you ask me. She was clearly not ready for the national stage. She was the ying to McCain's yang - an attractive young woman.

Having so little knowledge and experience, she would have needed to be excellent at the art of bullshit. She was not.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
HE was a poor campaigner in 2008 and he's been on an ugly downhill slide ever since.

Yes, he was, and that is part of the reason he lost. The other is that he was running against Hadji. McCain could have picked Thomas Jefferson as his running mate and they'd have still lost in 2008. Nobody was going to beat the first black president and the machine he had behind him.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I don't think McCain wanted to win. His strategy for many years, long before first running for POTUS in 2000, has been to inflict as much damage on the GOP as he can. He's worse than a Dem. No Dem could do as much damage as McCain. In fact, his quest to hurt the GOP extends to his deathbed, where most people would rather make amends than settle old scores. I won't miss him at all. I don't know one person in AZ who doesn't hate the guy, except Dems and lefties. He's the best thing they could hope for. With Flake retiring too, those folks are going to have to look for a new standard bearer to fight the GOP.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Stuff her in McCain’s coffin and bury them in the deepest cave we have. Christ, STFU you losers.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
As Para said, it's been a full decade since the decision was made to pick Palin as his running mate. The arguments for or against that decision are so old there is mold on them.

McCain is a vindictive, petty and irrelevant old man and should STFU and die with some dignity. The sooner the better in my opinion.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
No one was going to beat the Democratic candidate in that election. McCain is not smart enough to know that he was the lamb offered up by the Republicans for that election. The Republicans were saving their better candidates for a time when there was a chance of winning. Both parties have done this going back to forever.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the thing I remember most about Palin is that she wasn't smart enough to lie and bullshit the public

McStain on the other hand was a master

and yeah, I think that McStain is showing his true colors by saying what he did

simply reinforces my opinion that he's a low life scum sucking bastard

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
McCain won the nomination by default. All the others in the primary screwed up, thereby leaving McCain as the winner, but with nearly no popular support. Giuliani blew everything else off, betting that he'd take FL and thus shoot to the top. Huckabee, Romney and Ron Paul were going nowhere fast. McCain stuck it out, mistaking the media's lovefest with him for popular support. Though the media only loved him because they knew the GOP base hated him. I really have never met anyone who supported him; they only voted for him because they hated the other guy more.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Not a Palin fan, but she was the best part of McCain's pathetic campaign. If not for her on the ticket, he would have really been blown out.

With the attacks on Palin and her family, American politics took a nose dive into depths of ugliness never before approached. Ridicule of her Down's baby. Sexual jokes about her 14 year old daughter.

McCain is going out with all the pettiness, egomania and nastiness he dragged through his traitorous life.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
agreed

McStain embodies the absolute worst of America and he appears to not only be proud of it, but wants everyone to know just how contemptible he is while he is dying

c'mon - just kick off already

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not an innate human characteristic to let things go, it is a learned behavior. Politicians in particular need to have thick skins and let go of the past. Both Mccain and Palin need to move on.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post