SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Restaurant mislaid property
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Restaurant mislaid property Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Most definitely go after the restaurant dude. Hammer and tong.

Next time a customer leaves something of value there, it will probably immediately go in the trash.
For sure.

"What glasses???"

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
A reasonable person would have put them in a desk drawer, or in the cash register, etc.

IMO, a "reasonable" person would not consider legal action against someone who MIGHT have been negligent with a Lost And Found item. Come on, people. OP left the glasses at the restaurant, and we are holding the manager responsible?

Maybe the manager stole them (highly unlikely after he admitted to finding them). Maybe an employee snagged them. Maybe a cleaning lady or another customer took them. Maybe they got bumped into the trash. We will likely never know.

Don't blame others for your own mental lapse/negligence. The manager should not be held responsible for failing to maintain custody of a LOST item. It would be different if the manager borrowed the glasses with OP's consent, but that is clearly not the case here.

And, as far as the manager saying he wasn't there - I don't blame him. What has he to gain by talking to OP? Nothing.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm the most non-litigious attorney you'll probably ever meet. I let stuff slide all the time. Please don't take anything I said out of context. I said that legally the restaurant owner is probably responsible, mostly because of the short time frame. A reasonable person would have put them in a desk drawer, or in the cash register, etc.

Personally I would have let it slide, except and until I heard him on the phone instructing the employee to tell me he wasn't there. Then I'd make him buy me a new pair. How? Demand it, and probably small claims court if he didn't comply.

You almost immediately jumped to calling the owner a "MOFO" and a "bastard" because in all probability he was a busy restaurant owner with little time to spare, felt he could do nothing more for the loser of the item, and didn't want to deal with it any more. Put yourself in the owner's shoes. Was it so unreasonable for the guy to not want to take any more calls?

Would it REALLY be worth your time to take the restaurant owner to court, when he had tried to help? Sure, he could have locked the item up or secured it better. But is that REALLY negligence worthy of taking him to court? I don't think so.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My dentist told me about leaving his retainer at a restaurant when he was a kid. The owner said he did recall seeing the retainer but was not sure. His Dad was not upset with the owner. He just made the kid get in the dumpster and go through all the trash. He finally found the retainer. He said he never forgot his retainer again.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
re the manager and the calls,

while gone all week may be excessive, we do not know what his schedule actually is or what he was doing at that time,

as someone who has been in a management role in the past, for a couple companies, there are times when you cannot stop and take every call as they come in,

I've had to have people take messages for me many many times because I have been doing stuff that I could not stop,

not making excuses for the guy , just saying we don't know what he had going on,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Report This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This post is a waste of time. Any investigation or involvement of law enforcement would be a waste of time. Involvement of the civil courts would be a waste of time (and unjust).

At most, maybe convince the owner to give you a gift card to his establishment since he had them and didn’t safe guard them, and I’m sure he feels bad about that.

Time to buy new sunglasses if they don’t appear.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally I would have let it slide, except and until I heard him on the phone instructing the employee to tell me he wasn't there. Then I'd make him buy me a new pair. How? Demand it, and probably small claims court if he didn't comply.

Yeah... that might've done it for me, too.

At this point I believe the OP's at least in the clear leaving a negative Yelp review.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
Ever wonder why Shakespeare penned the line: "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"?

[facepalm]

No, because unlike pretty much everyone who has no idea why Shakespeare penned that line, I know the play.

The character Dick the Butcher in Henry VI makes the suggestion in the context of Jack Cade’s overthrow of the crown being easier of the lawyers aren’t standing in the way by defending law and order.

It’s a pro-lawyer line.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This guy is dangerous. A lawyer that reads Shakespeare. LOL

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have any other, more obvious "pro-lawyer lines" in current use that you could share?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I somehow think there are more of the OTHER lines. Of course there is the proverbial," The lawyer that represents himself has a fool for a client."

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

At this point I believe the OP's at least in the clear leaving a negative Yelp review.

Some of y'all are something else.

Yeah, go ahead and leave a negative review because you carelessly misplaced your sunglasses, and the owner had the nerve not to make you whole. I'm sure everyone will have your side of things.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post