SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Restaurant mislaid property
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Restaurant mislaid property Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Head off to Costco. That's where I buy my Maui Jim glasses for under $100. Then I buy a strap to let them dangle around my neck when indoors. I put them behind my neck when consuming a juicy burger so I don't get special sauce on the lenses.

2 nights ago at the restaurant, I accidentally left my credit card in the bill holder------but my Maui Jims were well secured. I retrieved the card yesterday.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Report This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Related story. I lost a pair of $180 Oakleys on the Haunted Mansion ride at Disney World. Very busy, tons of people, dark ride. We asked around with the staff, but nobody saw them. I thought they were gone for good, but we were driving by the lost and found the next day and figured no harm in checking. The lost and found there is massive BTW. It took some digging, but they actually had my glasses. In perfect condition too. How they were not stolen, stepped on, or even scratched is beyond me, but very thankful.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
It seems to me the owner was trying to help you. Someone stole from him. What can he do? A good faith effort on his part to help you (at no extra charge -- which is why I think you have no legal recourse).

I'd let it go.

I agree. Treat it as a learning experience. You are responsible for yourself and your stuff.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Report This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
When wearing sunglasses into a restaurant or bar, place your car keys with the glasses. I stick one of the temples through the key ring.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait for a sunny day and get to the restaurant about 30 minutes prior to open.

Watch the parking lot and see which employee is wearing them. Big Grin

Yes, you would think that would never happen, right?

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
When wearing sunglasses into a restaurant or bar, place your car keys with the glasses. I stick one of the temples through the key ring.

Was out with the lovely bride yesterday. Saw a lady talking with a sales person a few steps away from her sunglasses (grey, rainy day) which we’re sitting on a non-obvious counter. I said, “Don’t let your sunglasses get away.” then noticed that her keys were under them. She thanked me, then we both had a laugh about how she wouldn’t get far without the keys and what a good idea that was. A little later she walked by us on her way out. Once she saw me, she looked around for her sunglasses, then found them on her head. Smile

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Not in my opinion. If he were a true sociopath or Democratic politician he would merely say he misspoke initially.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
A few years ago my 8 or so year old daughter left her wallet with birthday money on the table of a large chain restraunt. Within about an hour we realized it and called. The shift manager took it pretty serious and called back stating that she reviewed the camera and saw the employee pick it up and hand it over to the shift manager on at the time. But, she couldn’t find it and was trying to get ahold of the manager that took possession of it. Needless to say it was never found. They ultimately reimbursed us for the contents and wallet. I don’t believe they necessarily needed to and I likely couldn’t have done anything about it other than never return. But, they were also in a bad position since a member of management admitted that it was on camera another manager taking it to never be seen again.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Report This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
The future's so bright I gotta steal shades...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Leave a negative yelp review stating an employee stole your sunglasses.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Annnnd we're back to "No good deed goes unpunished."

Look: The OP was the one who was careless with his property. Not taking a shot at him. We've probably all screwed up in a similar fashion. The owner tried to help. Somebody, likely one of his staff, did him wrong. What's he going to do?

I can understand the OP's annoyance, but this is a no-win situation for everybody involved--except perhaps for whomever stole the things. (And, if you're a believer in karma, you can believe [s]he'll eventually lose, too.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
the restaurant owner tried to help you and you seem to be looking for a way to shift responsibility for your screw up to him. I don't think you should do that. next time watch your own belongings.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's clearly defined case law and legal precedence in this area, the 1877 landmark case of Finders Vs Keepers. Wink

(I won't even bring up the counter suite and multiple appeals of Losers Vs Weepers.) Razz

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Without any evidence that this is actually the case, as the business owner, I would sue the snot out of whomever posted it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Of course the restaurant is not liable.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The original poster has accepted responsibility. That's where this should have ended.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Report This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I should have worded it better - opened a theft case... plenty of cases of theft are opened with no suspect

We would have filed that under the "We'll Get Right On It" status.

Cases are filed because the owner needs documentation for an insurance claim in many cases.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the restaurant owner liable in any way for taking possession of mislaid property and then losing it?

No.

You need to take responsibility for your own actions as you are the one who lost them.

Posts: 22887 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As usual with countless Internet discussions, assumptions are being made here, particularly that an employee stole the glasses. Other possibilities:

Someone other than an employee took them. Does that make the “restaurant” any less liable? Probably not (assuming it has any to begin with), but it’s a belief without evidence to claim that they were stolen by an employee.

They were taken by someone, but it wasn’t theft. “Oh, here are my sunglasses; someone must have found them and put them here.” In most jurisdictions theft occurs only if the taker has knowledge that the item belongs to someone else.

They got thrown out by mistake. I once piled a bunch of scrap paper on top of my wallet and when I threw the paper down the apartment building trash chute, my wallet went with it. After the first time I cleaned my then-new 9mm P320, the recoil spring and guide disappeared. Despite exhaustive searches (several times), I must now believe that it fell in the trash that was emptied shortly thereafter.

The manager was mistaken about where he put the glasses. Perhaps I’m the only one this happens to, but on far more occasions than I care to remember I’ve carefully put something away only to not be able to find it again. “It should be here! There’s no place else I would have put it.” Well, yes, there was. (I am still looking for a diamond needle file that isn’t where it should be.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The manager was mistaken about where he put the glasses. Perhaps I’m the only one this happens to, but on far more occasions than I care to remember I’ve carefully put something away only to not be able to find it again. “It should be here! There’s no place else I would have put it.” Well, yes, there was. (I am still looking for a diamond needle file that isn’t where it should be.)

It is interesting the assumptions one leaps to given incomplete information. Many ass-u-me that an employee stole the glasses. My first assumption was that the 70-80 year old manager misplaced them or someone else saw them and moved them to lost and found (or wherever they think lost and found should be).

Maybe this is because I have a couple teenagers, maybe this is because though I am not yet halfway through my fifties I still occassionally suffer from CRS (Can’t Remember ... pauses, scratches head, shrugs, mutters Something, and moves on), maybe it is because for a while during college I worked in a restaurant and know how chaotic they can be behind the scenes, maybe it is because I try to think the best of people and whenever possible ask for help instead of looking for a fight.

I dunno, but I’d re-approach the manager with something about these being my very favorite glasses, I’d be lost without them, and I’d tremendously appreciate any help he and his staff could provide getting them back to me. Maybe even offer a reward if that feels right, but I’ve always been more comfortable giving an unexpected reward on return rather than offering one. YMMV, but I’ve had better luck describing _my_ problem whatever it is, then asking humbly for the help of others in solving _my_ problem.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post