SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Restaurant mislaid property
Page 1 2 3 4 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Restaurant mislaid property Login/Join 
posted
I went to a restaurant last night for Valentine's day with my wife. It's a small mom and pop type place. I left my sunglasses on the table when I left. When I got home, I realized I had forgotten them, so I immediately called back to the restaurant. The owner explained that he had found them when clearing the table and set them aside for me. I explained that I would be back the next day after work to grab them.

I went back tonight, but the owner could no longer find them. He spoke with the employees, but was still unable to find them.

Is the restaurant owner liable in any way for taking possession of mislaid property and then losing it? I assume an employee snatched them. The glasses cost me more than $200, so I'd like to get them back. I understand that I should have been more attentive and not left them in the first place. However...he had them in his possession and can no longer find them.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I will be curious to read what those in the know say, but you’re asking if the restaurant should be held liable for protecting something that you didn’t—?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
not sure of the legality - but I suppose you could try to file theft charges ...

he admitted to having them - perhaps they were stolen - either by him or someone else while they were under his 'care'

doubt anything would come from it

but might hasten the perpetrator to return them

i have heard of cases like this when someone turns in a wallet and then the someone on the shift crew steals money / CCs from the wallet...

good luck

(ETA: why I don't pay $200 for sunglasses Wink)

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Not in my opinion. If he were a true sociopath or Democratic politician he would merely say he misspoke initially.

You could have offered a reward along with your phone number should he come across them. There is a certain skill required to get people to give you information. Watch some detective shows.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The owner is 70 - 80 yes old, so it likely was not him. He indicated both on the phone and in person that he put them on his office desk, so he has no idea how they were misplaced. He did take my name and phone number.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

not sure of the legality - but I suppose you could try to file theft charges
Who would you charge? The owner is not suspected. There are multiple employees, so in the absence of security video showing who took the glasses, how do you know who to charge? Is there a requirement for probable cause?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

(ETA: why I don't pay $200 for sunglasses Wink)

---------------------------------------

My wife would agree, but we all have our vices. Living in the land of sun, I wear shades 9 hours a day, every day, all year. I have a perma-raccoon tan. My wife is probably hoping my raccoon face will go away.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
quote:

(ETA: why I don't pay $200 for sunglasses
My wife would agree, but we all have our vices. Living in the land of sun, I wear shades 9 hours a day, every day, all year. I have a perma-raccoon tan. My wife is probably hoping my raccoon face will go away.
Yeah, I was thinking that two hundred is a bit pricy for sunglasses.

My general purpose glasses are tri-focal. I figured that I did not really need the intermediate segment for sunglasses, so mine are bi-focal. Lenses for my bi-focal prescription are $139 at Costco Optical, their frames start at $39 and go up from there. Or an $18 upcharge on the lenses if you use your own non-Costco frame.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I think you’ll have to eat it. You have no proof that you spoke to the owner and he agreed to anything.

Unless they have anything on video, you are likely SOL.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
quote:

(ETA: why I don't pay $200 for sunglasses
Yeah, I was thinking that two hundred is a bit pricy for sunglasses.

My general purpose glasses are tri-focal. I figured that I did not really need the intermediate segment for sunglasses, so mine are bi-focal. Lenses for my bi-focal prescription are $139 at Costco Optical, their frames start at $39 and go up from there. Or an $18 upcharge on the lenses if you use your own non-Costco frame.

I too am in the sun and out on the water most days from 8+ hours a day. Protecting my eyes is worth a lot more to me than the $250 I spend on the Maui Jim sunglasses I wear daily, which are optically correct and block all of the UV rays etc. etc.

OP: I really don't think you can charge the restaurant owner with anything. Sadly, if he didn't find them, and you called, you would have just chaulked it up as forgetfulness and they were lost forever. Chances are an employee has them, but how do you prove it? You could try offering a $50 reward there, no questions asked, and at least if you get them back for $50 it's a lot cheaper than buying new ones. Or walk the parking lot behind the restaurant and see if they're laying on a cars dashboard or something of one of the employees, but even then you can't prove they're yours.

posted Hide Post
Really? You forgot them....what would your thought process be if he told you he didn't have them?

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As a matter of civil law, I'd guess the owner would be considered a "gratuitous bailee" - liable only if keeping them on his desk was "gross negligence."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

not sure of the legality - but I suppose you could try to file theft charges
Who would you charge? The owner is not suspected. There are multiple employees, so in the absence of security video showing who took the glasses, how do you know who to charge? Is there a requirement for probable cause?

I should have worded it better - opened a theft case... plenty of cases of theft are opened with no suspect

the owner admitted he had them - then he did not ? where did they go ? either he lost them or someone took them ...

it 'could' be investigated potentially. lots of crimes are investigated for less.

(guy drives away after stealing $40 of gas ... porch thief steals a $70 PS4 game by your front door ... etc)

not saying it WOULD be. Disclaimer - IANAL or LE so please correct me if I am wrong.

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It seems to me the owner was trying to help you. Someone stole from him. What can he do? A good faith effort on his part to help you (at no extra charge -- which is why I think you have no legal recourse).

I'd let it go.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
NO

(what's with all the complicated answers) Wink

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Highlights the potential repercussions of trying to help someone.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
From the owner's point of view; "no good deed goes unpunished".
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Owner just needs this sign.

posted Hide Post
I don’t understand what you think you can do about it. Yes it’s a huge bummer to lose your glasses especially after someone says they have them but what are you going to do sue him.

Buy a new pair and move on.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Report This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the multiple posts above.
Take it as a learning opportunity.

Having left my $160 sunglasses at Best Buy, I feel your pain.
I now have a strap attached and let them hang around my neck when out and about.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Report This Post