SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations on Places to visit in Germany
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations on Places to visit in Germany Login/Join 
Figment Of
My Own
Imagination
Picture of dlayne
posted
I'll be in Germany for a week in August. I'll be staying in Frankfurt and using it as my hub. Any towns/cities you recommend within a day trip (preferably train) of Frankfurt? Interests include history, photography opportunities, culture experiences. This will be my first time in Germany. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 4220 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: December 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm a car nut, so the Nurburgring is top of my list.
Followed by the Mercedes, Porsche & BMW museums.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Hubertus knife, in Solingen

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Take the train to Munich (Munchen) and a local bus/streetcar to Dachau concentration camp. https://europeforvisitors.com/...u-transportation.htm

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start here and use as resource.

Frankfurt is central but away. Due West is the Mosel Valley and Rhine Valley, where the Rhine river winds through, small idilic village and Germany's wine growing region. South Eastern Germany around Munich is Bavaria, where a lot of American's impressions of Germany are from. Gingerbread houses, alpine villages, lederhosen/dirndil's, Octoberfest. Nuremberg also in Baveria is a very active city with a impressive old town, there's a year round Christmas market (also America's impression) where you can find a lot of unique holiday keepsakes.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Rothenburg ob de Tauber.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Heidelberg is beautiful! Munich is a must. I really enjoy Freiburg as well.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Heidleburg is close and a nice day trip. Untouched during WWII.

Stuttgart is a short train ride and both Porsche and Daimler AG are there.

Day trips to Netherlands and Belgium as well if you're a WWII buff.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Take the train from Munich (after seeing Dachau) to Garmisch/Partenkirchen. Garmisch is right at the bottom of the tallest mountain in Germany, the Zugspitze. Beautiful town, lots to see. Take the cog train to the lodge at the top.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Bad Homburg is nearby Frankfurt and is a really interesting town. Other suggestions above are all great; Bavaria is my favorite.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Takr the train to Munich (Munchen) and a local

That train ride one-way is going to be around 4.5 to 5 hours with a regular train and maybe 2.5 hours on the ICE, just so the OP understands if he's planning on day trips.

OP: Frankfurt itself is a good place to explore and I would also say check out Stuttgart (Porsche museum, etc), the medieval town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Nuremberg.

You MUST also get a Doner Kebab while there! Turkish immigrants answer to the Greek Gyro, but WAY better!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#Germany

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like beer: Train to Munich. Then take the S8 Herrshing. Hike or hail a cab to Kloster Andechs. Enjoy!

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're a Cold War buff, Checkpoint Alpha and the Fulda gap are pretty cool to see. There is a neat museum, and some of the original barriers are still there. Stop by the monestary in Kreutzburg for the world's best Bier (in my opinion).

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Head west to the Reingau and other wine growing areas of the Rhine. Summertime is wine time on the Rhine. If you can find a wine festival, all the better. Plus there are LOTS of cool castle and villages to explore along the Rhine.

In Mainz there is an interesting museum on Gutenburg and the first printing press, etc.

Good call on Rothenburg, it is a drive, but a great experience.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I'm a gear head and enjoyed the Porsche museum as well renting a 911 for an hour in Stuttgart. MB and Porsche are in Stuttgart. There's a train stop right at the Porsche museum. The factory tour is well worth it, but you'll want to reach out to them ASAP to reserve a spot. South of Stuttgart is Tubingen, a cool old town. Hohenzollern Castle is neato too.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Takr the train to Munich (Munchen) and a local

That train ride one-way is going to be around 4.5 to 5 hours with a regular train and maybe 2.5 hours on the ICE, just so the OP understands if he's planning on day trips.

OP: Frankfurt itself is a good place to explore and I would also say check out Stuttgart (Porsche museum, etc), the medieval town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Nuremberg.

You MUST also get a Doner Kebab while there! Turkish immigrants answer to the Greek Gyro, but WAY better!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#Germany

Aw man. What I would give to get to the Markt Platz in Darmstadt. Used to hit a place that was owned by a Greek family. Thin sliced leg of lamb, not that processed loaf stuff. A side of fried goat cheese as well. I'm drooling thinking of it.

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If you're a "Cathedral person" (I am), do Heidelberg, Cologne (Köln); Aachen, Trier, and Strasbourg (France); also Munich (München) if you go that far. The Astronomical Clock in Strasbourg Cathedral is world-famous.

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I'm a gear head and enjoyed the Porsche museum as well renting a 911 for an hour in Stuttgart. MB and Porsche are in Stuttgart. There's a train stop right at the Porsche museum. The factory tour is well worth it, but you'll want to reach out to them ASAP to reserve a spot. South of Stuttgart is Tubingen, a cool old town. Hohenzollern Castle is neato too.

It'll be a while before I scratch that part of my bucket list.
I could probably spend a whole day in the MB museum.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
There used to be a bar/fleabag hotel/whorehouse across from the Hauptbahnhof in Frankfurt. I wasn’t aware of all the varied services they offered when I checked in but figured it out pretty quick. Maybe it’s still there. I’m not recommending a visit, though.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
You'll be close to lots of American military and if you have access to the posts, there is plenty of stuff to do with MWR. If not, you can still check out their websites to see what is recommended close to where you will be. Here is one example. CLICK HERE

Personally, I could take a week in Frankfurt and never really even get out of town. So much to do, so little time. If you do travel, I like Trier. Cool old Roman town with ruins and a nice tourist market. Another suggestion I have is to do a Volksmarch somewhere in the Idar Oberstein region. While there try some Spiessbraten. Outside of those suggestions, a Doner Kebab is highly recommended. Plenty of old castles all around the Rhine and Mosel River Valleys. Garmisch is well worth the trip and it'll be a nice cool spot in August and the water coming off the Zugspitze is beautiful.

Have fun whatever you choose.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post