SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
OK, what gives? Somewhat against my better judgement, I went into the local (Elizabethton, TN) store in search of something else and found a shelf full of ammo, including 5.56 and 7.62x39. No signs limiting quantities or anything. Have they reversed their stance yet again, or is this a local decision? This area does have a large number of hunters, shooters and carry permit holders, has not had a Dem representative since 1880 and voted as much as 70/30 for Trump.

Walmart is about making a dollar.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37133 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have they reversed their stance yet again, or is this a local decision? This area does have a large number of hunters, shooters and carry permit holders, has not had a Dem representative since 1880 and voted as much as 70/30 for Trump.

My guess is their announcement was more guidelines than rules, and the compliance with those guidelines highly dependent upon where the store's located.

E.g.: The Walmarts near me, in a sub-rural area, usually have a "decent" selection of all kinds of ammo, but no firearms at all. The Walmart I visted while at a buddy's property up north, way out in the sticks, had a firearms counter nearly the rival, in some respects, of the counter at a popular place called Jay's Sporting Goods', and a dedicated employee standing behind said counter.

I haven't been in a local Walmart in several weeks, but, last time I looked, their ammo selection seemed unchanged from pre-announcement.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It could also just be old stock. Wal-Mart stated that they would continue to sell the handgun ammo and "short barrel rifle" (Roll Eyes) ammo that they had on hand, but would not be replenishing their inventory.

Posts: 32653 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In order for them to get rid of this ammo, they are marking it down on clearance. (And they evidently still have tons of it.)

So that they won't have it to sell to me later, they are selling it to me now for cheaper than I can get it anywhere else.

Why don't I feel like I'm being used?

Posts: 1354 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It could also just be old stock. Wal-Mart stated that they would continue to sell the handgun ammo and "short barrel rifle" (Roll Eyes) ammo that they had on hand, but would not be replenishing their inventory.

I heard this as well.

I stopped in a couple of weeks ago and I asked the guy that usually works the ammo section about that and he said that was what they were told. In addition, he told me that the CEO or whoever made the decision on no ammo sales was gone. He had left the company. The employee told me that he didn't know if that meant that Walmart might reverse it's decision or not. Also, I did not see any shortage of ammo in their ammo section.

Posts: 6669 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sam Walton is turning in his grave over what his children have done to the company.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4867 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Sam Walton is turning in his grave over what his children have done to the company.

The Waltons no longer own a majority of the company. As of a couple years ago, the various Waltons together hold 49% of the stock. None of the Waltons are executives in the company any more, and there are only two Waltons on the Board of Directors: Rob Walton (one of Sam's sons) and Stuart Walton (one of Sam's grandsons).

Posts: 32653 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Well, I sent them an email telling them of my disappointment, and my decision never to enter one of their stores again.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25648 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, what gives? Somewhat against my better judgement, I went into the local (Elizabethton, TN) store in search of something else and found a shelf full of ammo, including 5.56 and 7.62x39. No signs limiting quantities or anything. Have they reversed their stance yet again, or is this a local decision? This area does have a large number of hunters, shooters and carry permit holders, has not had a Dem representative since 1880 and voted as much as 70/30 for Trump.

I just happened to stop in my local Walmart just the other day (though I've greatly curtailed my shopping there since their recent stupid decision, I just can't completely cut them out yet unfortunately). Anyway, the ammo shelf was still full. Everything from 9mm to 5.56. Don't know. Maybe they just haven't been able to sell off their supply yet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30558 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a hard time believing this is old, unsold stock. This thread was started Sept. 3, over two months ago. I can't see any ammo in popular calibers staying on shelves that long, not here. I saw nothing to suggest it was being marked down for clearance, either. I didn't think of buttonholing an employee to ask about it, but, as usual, there was nobody at the sporting goods counter anyway. Razz

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Walmart is about making a dollar.

Now that I can easily believe.

What do you want to bet that announcement was put out as a sop for PR purposes with their fingers crossed behind their backs? Academy did something like this once. They stopped putting ARs out in plain sight, but continued to sell them, then after a while put them back out again.

Posts: 28134 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It’s not a local decision. The stores can only get what the distribution centers get and Bentonville tells the DCs what to send to the stores.

Posts: 13777 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a hard time believing this is old, unsold stock. This thread was started Sept. 3, over two months ago. I can't see any ammo in popular calibers staying on shelves that long, not here. I saw nothing to suggest it was being marked down for clearance, either. I didn't think of buttonholing an employee to ask about it, but, as usual, there was nobody at the sporting goods counter anyway. Razz

This is the main reason why I quit buying ammo from Walmart years ago. I would stand at the sporting goods checkout and multiple employees would walk by me like I was not there. I would eventually have to go to front desk to request assistance at sporting goods and then go back to the front desk again 15 minutes later to repeat.

I then discovered I could get ammo for significantly better prices and variety online shipped to my front door and have been doing that ever since.

I do find it odd that so many are finding full shelves of ammo at Walmart as they are known for their inventory control and fast turnover of inventory throughout the chain to reduce holding costs on inventory and space to store it. Maybe they have quietly changed their stance but did not want to publicize it.

Posts: 9777 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I grabbed a 100-round Federal Value Pack of .45 ACP the other day. The ammunition shelves seemed to be well stocked.

The employee who was handling that area seemed to know as much about ammunition, as I know about neurosurgery, i.e. not very much at all. It took several attempts to get a box of the stuff that I was asking for.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30918 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That's why there's still ammo, there's no one to sell it! Smile

Posts: 21168 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:

This is the main reason why I quit buying ammo from Walmart years ago.

Yeah, it would have to be a really good deal to jump through the hoops. Just as, if not more, annoying is having half a dozen people ahead of you all buying fishing licenses. Academy or, for that matter, a local shop, has about the same pricing and puts it on open shelves. I buy my ammo a little bit at a time; the shipping for online more than eats up any savings per box.

Posts: 28134 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I imagine Bentonville is getting an ear (or inbox) full about this. Given the demographics of a lot of Walmart shoppers, they may be reconsidering.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
In order for them to get rid of this ammo, they are marking it down on clearance. (And they evidently still have tons of it.)

So that they won't have it to sell to me later, they are selling it to me now for cheaper than I can get it anywhere else.

Why don't I feel like I'm being used?
Plenty of stock and no markdowns near me.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Went with the wife today to pickup a prescription and while she waited, I moseyed over to sporting goods. .223 ammo was filling the display case that use to hold rifles and shotguns. I mentioned to the clerk that I thought WalMart was not longer selling .223. He said once the local inventory was gone there would be no more brought in. Same with handgun ammo. The clerk was mad at corporate and said they probably will just quit selling ammunition period.

I then got distracted by the inventory robot that was cruising down the aisle. Had heard about it but not seen it. Wonder how many jobs that will eliminate.

Posts: 5712 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good inventory in my local Wally. So far.

I found a way to get damn near an instant response at the ammo counter. After a minute or 2 of watching employees hide or scurry down aisles like Pheasants running down corn rows, I simply remove the retractable belt hooked to the stanchion. They are on me pronto. I get the stink eye, they ring me up and I’m gone grinning inside.

Posts: 5772 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Another reason to avoid Walmart. Looks like target and grocery stores will get more of my business.
BUT....if you go to Target which bathroom to use?????

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post