SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
A month ago, Wal-Mart stated that they did not intend to limit gun or ammo sales as a response to the mass shootings: https://www.bloomberg.com/news...sales-after-shooting

However, just now, the Wal-Mart CEO announced that the company is changing their policy:

From https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/0...rific-shootings.html

quote:
Walmart said Tuesday it will discontinue all sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition that can be used with military style weapons, discontinue sales of handgun ammunition and stop all handgun sales in Alaska, following two “horrific” shootings at Walmart stores this summer.

The biggest retailer in the world is also asking customers at Walmart and Sam’s Club to no longer openly carry firearms in stores, in states where “open carry” is allowed, unless authorized law enforcement officers are present.

It said it won’t be changing its policy for customers who have permits for concealed carry. And it will be adding signage to stores in the coming weeks to communicate the changes.

“We believe the opportunity for someone to misinterpret a situation, even in open carry states, could lead to tragic results,” CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo distributed to employees on Tuesday. “We hope that everyone will understand the circumstances that led to this new policy and will respect the concerns of their fellow shoppers and our associates.”

“We’ve also been listening to a lot of people inside and outside our company as we think about the role we can play in helping to make the country safer,” he added. “It’s clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable.”

McMillon said he will also be sending letters to the White House and other Congressional leaders, asking for action on “common sense measures.” He’s calling on the government to “strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger.”

“Congress and the administration should act,” the CEO said.

The announcement from Walmart comes as the retailer has faced backlash, some from its own employees, for not pulling weapons from stores after a deadly shooting in July at a Walmart store in Mississippi, and another in August at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, where 22 were killed.

When it reported quarterly earnings last month, Walmart estimated it made up about 2% of the market for firearms today, putting it “outside at least the top three sellers in the industry.” It estimated the company had about a 20% share of the market for ammunition.

Following Tuesday’s announcement, Walmart said it’s market share of ammunition will drop to range of 6% to 9%, falling to the lower end of that range over time.

“We know these decisions will inconvenience some of our customers, and we hope they will understand,” McMillon said. “As a company, we experienced two horrific events in one week, and we will never be the same.”

Walmart said it intends for its remaining assortment to be even more focused on the needs of hunting and sport shooting enthusiasts. McMillon said he is a gun owner, who grew up in a family that raised bird dogs, and he noted the company’s founder, Sam Walton, was an avid outdoorsman, who hunted quail.

“It will include long barrel deer rifles and shotguns, much of the ammunition they require, as well as hunting and sporting accessories and apparel,” he said.

Walmart also last month said it would be pulling violent video game displays out of stores following the shootings.

On Tuesday, McMillon said he will also be encouraging other retailers to act “to make the overall industry safer.”

“We are exploring ways to share the technical specifications and compliance controls for our proprietary firearms sales technology platform,” he said. “This system navigates the tens of millions of possible combinations of federal, state and local laws, regulations and licensing requirements that come into effect based on where the firearm is being sold and who is purchasing it. We hope that providing this information, free of charge, will help more retailers sell firearms in a responsible, compliant manner.”

Reports from employees in Wal-Mart stores in various states are they're being informed by corporate that:

1) Open carry will not be allowed in stores. Those customers seen open carrying will now be asked to return the gun to their vehicle, with law enforcement called to trespass the individual if they will not.

2) Wal-Mart will not be replenishing their inventory of handgun ammo. The stores can continue to sell what is on hand, but once current handgun ammo is sold, they will no longer carry it.

3) Similarly, Wal-Mart will no longer carry 5.56, .223, or 7.62x39 once current stock is sold.

4) Wal-Mart will no longer sell semiauto centerfire firearms. (The news report only mentions handguns, which are only sold in Alaska Wal-Marts anyway, but reports from stores are that this may involve all centerfire semiautos... If that's accurate, it's unclear if they plan to pull these from the shelves, or if it will be handled like ammo where inventory is simply not replenished once it's all sold.)

And Sam Walton continues rolling in his grave, as his company strays yet further from its roots.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The lunacy continues.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well another good reason not to visit. Online ammo works for me and I don't have to hunt down a worker to assist me. I am however troubled by the trend.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And the country will be a safer place for their actions. Roll EyesRoll EyesRoll Eyes Just bending to the mob which will only inconvenience legal gun owners. Oh well, still lots of online sources to cheap ammo of 'all' calibers. Expect that to be the next target of the leftist, America hating, filth.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Meh.

The only reason I've been inside a Wal-Mart in the past 10 or so years was to pick up a jug of Mobil 1.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Jesus. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Well another good reason not to visit. Online ammo works for me and I don't have to hunt down a worker to assist me. I am however troubled by the trend.

Yeah... better selection and availability online.
BUT it is a disturbing trend.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another reason to avoid Walmart. Looks like target and grocery stores will get more of my business.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Yeah... better selection and availability online.
BUT it is a disturbing trend.

Well, it makes me extremely angry to see this.

Last minute I needed some shotgun ammo last week and was able to run down the road to Walmart and quickly pick some up. I was taking my father in law to the range. I could've easily needed handgun ammo as well. I find this move by Walmart infuriating. Cowards.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'm truly sorry for the tragic shootings and the deaths and injuries that occurred in a few of their stores. I'm certain that some of their employees have suffered because of these tragedies and they have my sympathies.

There was a time when humans in general, and especially Americans were known for their resolve. They grieved over their tragic losses, and then moved on. Now, many Americans (and the American businesses they lead and work for) seem incapable of moving past their grief without making knee-jerk policy decisions that will appease some customers and employees while accomplishing nothing meaningful in terms of results.

Not that I haven't been disappointed in Walmart before but every time I find myself making an exception and continuing to make at least a few limited purchases from them. Thankfully, Walmart has now given me yet one more reason to seek alternatives to shopping with them.

I can only hope that other more reasonable retailers will step up and fill the role of reasonably priced firearms and ammo that Walmart will leave behind with this decision.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I'm truly sorry for the tragic shootings and the deaths and injuries that occurred in a few of their stores. I'm certain that some of their employees have suffered because of these tragedies and they have my sympathies.

There was a time when humans in general, and especially Americans were known for their resolve. They grieved over their tragic losses, and then moved on. Now, many Americans (and the American businesses they lead and work for) seem incapable of moving past their grief without making knee-jerk policy decisions that will appease some customers and employees while accomplishing nothing.

Not that I haven't been disappointed in Walmart before but every time I find myself making an exception and continuing to make at least a few limited purchases from them. Thankfully, Walmart has now given me yet one more reason to seek alternatives to shopping with them.

Well said! I have stopped shopping at ours altogether. This latest move re-enforces my decision.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Political pressure cave in. I used to buy only raisin bread from Walmart...no more for even that.

I would expect the company will receive not only criticism but it may reflect in revenue.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Not good. Not good at all.

Hey, at least this will increase sales for smaller gun shops and the like. If I need to squeeze something positive out of this.

I think I’ve only ever been to a Walmart like three times in my life so .... screw ‘em anyway.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Might be a blessing in disguise. Walmart bought ammo in massive quantities so it could undercut and hurt local mom and pop gun/ammo shops. Guess who is going to be getting my business now?

I’m very disappointed to see this happen. Actually a bit angry because once again people who did nothing wrong are being punished. I’m really getting fucking tired of this trend. Really, really tired of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Do they still sell baseball bats & hammers?
The whole lot of them are stinking sniveling cowards.

ETA - stickman brings up a good point. This will help every other ammo seller!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
This sucks for me. I bought just about all of my pistol ammo there. Paid cash for everything.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wal Mart, Dicks and the like need to get off the fence and just stop selling all guns, ammo, targets and cleaning supplies. Just dump it all, don’t even hold on to one box of shells for old grandpappy’s double barrel. Don’t be half assed woke, go all the way.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problem is, this is just a sign of things to come.

I know a lot of folks will say just buy online. Issue is some states target that also. What happens then?

Others will say start rolling your own. Great, but components won't be far over the horizon when they finally hobble the assembled ammo market.

Eventually what used to be a fun hobby becomes a pain in the ass and support drops out. People get busy with life and family and say fuck it, throw the shooter in the closet, drop their club memberships and stop going to competitions.

Anything like what walmart is doing is just another cut toward eventual death of what used to be a really fun pastime.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Not good. less competition means higher prices.

But the local gun stores are going to make out like bandits!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post