SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever been to the city in the US with the highest elevation???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever been to the city in the US with the highest elevation??? Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Hmm looks like it's been bumped. Not going to find me even walking at either place for this flatlander, at those Heights.
http://www.townofalma.com/

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Been to Leadville numerous times and have hiked up a couple of "fourteeners" in the area.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Been in Leadville several times. Once in 1960 when I bagged venison there. Later spent a couple days there on 3 different vacation trips.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived there very briefly in my younger days...
worked in the molybdenum mine there, first on the muck crew, then on the dynamite crew...

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Not to Leadville, but in the mid 1980s I did take a couple of trips to CO by motorcycle. I remember an Independence Pass, ~12,000 feet, and being winded just in a short hike to a vista point. I also rode the stretch of US 550 known as the Million Dollar Highway, and it snowed on Berthoud Pass in July.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run in plain, no-name New Balance shoes.

I've never been to Leadville.

I could not run 100 miles at SEA LEVEL!

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to run the 100. Now, tOo old and fat. Link to the shoes, please.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
back in the 90's we visited, we sat on our asses, as we are flat landers.

some say that you do not notice Altitude sickness until 6 or 8 hours later , I call , B.S.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I honeymooned in Keystone. I had a headache the whole time and was very short of breath.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Their airport is famous as well. Landed a Cessna 172 there, got pictures, and even managed to take off again.

For Gym shoes we are almost exclusively New Balance in this house except for my wife's running shoes. She has been in Asics for about 15 years and won't swap her running shoe.

I try to buy the ones made in the USA for us. But I thought these were pretty slick and could not pass them up.

We also buy them for the kids granted they are $50 bucks sometimes on sale for $35 at the local place that actually properly measures the kiddos feet.
They last and get passed down so they are worth it. The $25 target and walmart shoes don't make it past a couple of months and have no chance of being passed down.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
(Sunset wonders pensively if he could afford those blue wonders)

I could only afford them because I got them for about 50% off. I buy almost exclusively from www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com (New Balance Clearance and Factory Seconds outfit)

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I bet sigfreund is familiar.

Yes, he is. Smile

View from the porch:

And from where I used to work. (See Old Man Massive in the center? He’s a character in a friend’s book.)

I am jealous!!!!! I love it out there. There are times I wish I would have gone to college out there or moved there after college. I inquired with the Eagle County Sheriff's office and Vail PD but did not do anything more then get their application packet, never filled them out.
Sometimes I wish I had but then I would have never met my wife and had these three awesome boys so I don't fret too much about it.

quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I honeymooned in Keystone. I had a headache the whole time and was very short of breath.

Tony.

I have a buddy that has a place in Bachelor Gulch so we spent a lot of time there and the surrounding areas. I love it out there.
I would get the headaches and that was about it but I drank tons of water and that seemed to help.
Never had any altitude sickness. The highest peak I have climbed out there is Bald Mountain. Wanted to do Mount of the Holy Cross but it was closed due to bears.

I have not been in a few years but need to get back out there and when my boys are old enough to really travel easier I hope to do the area twice a year winter for skiing and summer for all the other greatness.

quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Always wanted to run the 100. Now, tOo old and fat. Link to the shoes, please.

I got mine here
https://www.joesnewbalanceoutl...t/mtlead-v3/mtleada3

If you sign up for their e-mails I think you can get an extra 15% off and free shipping.
I got an email that offered me that so I payed a little less.

If you search elsewhere there are less subdued color options out there.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I road through Leadville on the way to Sturgis on my old H-D Springer. I spent some quality time in the old time bar in downtown Leadville. A nice place to visit!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Never been to Leadville but I've been to Cripple Creek and Victor, not too far away.
Air's a little thin there so exercise will make you breath a lot more.
Calling it a city with a population of 2600 is going a bit out there.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Ever seen a football game in the highest elevation, Division I, football stadium in the U.S. at 7,165'?

Been to Leadville too Wink

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
Hmm looks like it's been bumped. Not going to find me even walking at either place for this flatlander, at those Heights.

I met my wife at the South Park Saloon in Alma almost 12 years ago.

I could make a snide joke about the 2 mile high club but I wont.

Jd

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the 100 mile mtn bike race twice. Since it's out and back you actually get to see the pro's that are in the race. Even though I wasn't in the same area code as the leaders, it was pretty cool knowing you were racing against pro's

Posts: 166 | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Of course I've been there. More than just a few times. Read about the city and what's underneath it. Its honeycombed with tunnels. They didn't name it Leadville for nothing. If you run there, don't bring your shoes inside until you clean them Probably worse than reloading or casting your own bullets, full time.

Yes, mosquito pass is interesting, but not really a hard 4wd road. If you're a little skittish, drive back down to Leadville, don't try driving over toward Fairplay. The road is more interesting on that side.

There was mention of Holy Cross. There's a mountain and then there's Holy Cross City. Some interesting boilers as you're coming into the city. As you're driving up towards the city, you see some interesting signs on the road. Like damage is very likely, 4wd tow trucks don't go beyond here, etc. Then you get to Frenchy's Creek. Smile They've drained the swamp up there.

The peak is best viewed from over below Breck. Some years you can really see the cross. It doesn't melt off evenly so at some times, some years, you only see part of it.

A lot of Mexican immigrants. No, I didn't check their papers. I only get to imagine. I used to know a guy who's brother owned a trailer park there. He sold it and moved down valley to Bueny. Stay in Bueny, visit Leadville. Got lots of money? Head over the pass to Aspen and buy the family an ice cream cone. You'll need a mortgage. Its how they keep the riff raff out.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD2177:

I met my wife at the South Park Saloon in Alma almost 12 years ago.

Hey, I've got a T shirt from there. Leadville advertises their donkey race. Fairplay had a moped race, advertised as "hooters on scooters"! Big Grin

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:

Alma, CO isn’t a city, but yes, it is higher than Leadville.

I try to make it out to Leadville at least once a year. I have promised myself that one day I will live there. I’m on the hospital’s mailing list, but so far the only PA openings have been PRN. Keeping my fingers crossed though!

Posts: 427 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
If you sneeze in Alma you'll miss it, small mountain town. I've only done 1 14ner and it was pretty cool doing so, amazing views. Ridden all the good roads on a motorcycle here, great views, lots of twisties and some roads you wish there were guardrails. There's lots of activities in the mountain towns. Just have to take the time to research them.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try to make it out to Leadville at least once a year. I have promised myself that one day I will live there. I’m on the hospital’s mailing list, but so far the only PA openings have been PRN. Keeping my fingers crossed though![/QUOTE]

Also look at the Vail or Frisco hospitals even Breckenridge has a big clinic (for the ski accidnets) neither are very far from Leadville and plenty of people commute.

Jd

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post