SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever been to the city in the US with the highest elevation???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever been to the city in the US with the highest elevation??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have many times as it is in my favorite area of the country.
So I bought some shoes named after it.
Won’t be able to miss me coming Eek

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I have an old friend from my college days that live there. Her husband runs 50 and 100 milers for fun. Roll Eyes I believe that is one there he has done. Roll Eyes

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Been there? Yes.

Hiked there? Yes.

Run there? Heck no.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too like the obnoxious colored running shoes. While not a New Balance user nor much of a trail runner, those are pretty cool!

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Their airport is famous as well. Landed a Cessna 172 there, got pictures, and even managed to take off again.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
(Sunset wonders pensively if he could afford those blue wonders)

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nope, but I've been nearby at Vail, Breckenridge, Cooper Mountain, and Keystone.

Skied off the Continental Divide at Copper Mountain which required hiking uphill from the chairlift. That's some very thin air up there. I can't imagine running at that kind of elevation because hiking in ski boot kicked my butt.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was there in 2012. Photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631070925666/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631039816880/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Nope, but I've been nearby at Vail, Breckenridge, Cooper Mountain, and Keystone.

Skied off the Continental Divide at Copper Mountain which required hiking uphill from the chairlift. That's some very thin air up there. I can't imagine running at that kind of elevation because hiking in ski boot kicked my butt.

My son lived in Aspen one winter and there was a lift that ended before the top of the hill and a snow cat would take you the rest of the way. My son didn't like to wait for the snow cat, threw his skis over his shoulder and jogged to the top, beating those who waited.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Like Bryan11 said in an above post, flew in on a really hot day, landed, and on the way out saw a sign at end of the runway to check Density Altitude. It was high that day and the 172 felt very anemic. Interesting little town.

My brother lives in Aurora, CO and has built up a lot of extra red blood cells that carry extra oxygen and it gives him an advantage when he goes down to lower elevations.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drove up Pikes Peak in 1971. Got out of the car, and three steps later, almost passed out.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Yep, and got the T-Shirt but not the shoes! ;-)

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I bet sigfreund is familiar.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I didn't have any fainting spells, but I admit I didn't do a lot of physical exertion when I was there (Leadville, not Pikes Peak). A little walking around in the museum and the train. I took the train ride.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice shoes.

Yes, Mosquito Pass is a fun hike, the railroad grade for Hagarman Pass is pretty easy, the road for Hagerman is 4x4 and pretty steep. The Mineral Belt trail is pretty easy and paved.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I bet sigfreund is familiar.

Yes, he is. Smile

View from the porch:

And from where I used to work. (See Old Man Massive in the center? He’s a character in a friend’s book.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there yes, even drove over Mosquito Pass a few times, the Pass is only open for 3 months a year you need to know how to 4 wheel drive, if you don't, you will get yourself into trouble real fast.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful spot. It's been a few years but just outside of town theirs a location where you can stop and check out the peaks in the area. There's something like fifteen 14k+ tall peaks all in a row. It's on the only spot in the US Rockies. It's even more amazing when you turn around and realize you're surrounded by 12-13k peaks in several directions as well.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Been there several times. Cool little town and I had the best burrito I've ever had there! Little hole in the wall place, think it is called the Golden Burro or something like that.

Posts: 671 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I believe Leadville has one of the highest levels of background radiation in the world, second only to a place in India if memory serves. I think the residents get an annual equivalent dose equal to about 70 chest xrays every year.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post