SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The NRA is coming to town....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NRA is coming to town.... Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Since I won't get the chance again, I was thinking of checking out the convention. But I'm not a member. What's worth seeing at the convention, and do you have to be a member?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I think you do have to be a member, but once you are admission is free. Of course that shouldn't be an issue since you are joining on 3/24 anyway Wink

And yes, it is 100% worth going. But give yourself a lot of time. If you are going to do it in one day be there when it opens and plan on staying until close. There is that much to see. I took my dad last year and about two hours in we realized that we were never going to be able to walk the entire floor. So we sat down and mapped out the vendors we really wanted to hit and still barely had time.

Also just being in the same building with so many like-mined people was refreshing. I saw a whole lot of MAGA hats.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlie Daniels band is the concert Saturday night!

We are flying in Thursday night going to the convention all day Friday and Saturday, concert Saturday night then fly back Sunday afternoon.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It’s definitely awesome and you definitely see to join! It’s kinda like a mini-Shot Show. Very cool. Sometimes vendors will release ne products there.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I'm not a member.

Say what? Eek

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I still remember the great time I had in 1996 at the NRA Convention... NRA Museum displayed the 2 Walker Colts that belonged to Capt. Sam Walker... Also free Lone Star when we visited a cowboy boot mfg./store! Join. Go.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:... But I'm not a member. ...

You have the powah to change that... Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
But I'm not a member.

Say what? Eek
We've had philosophical and substantive differences, and I've chosen to be a member of other organizations. However, I have appreciated their response to the last couple of hysterias.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
quote:
But I'm not a member.

Say what? Eek
We've had philosophical and substantive differences, and I've chosen to be a member of other organizations. However, I have appreciated their response to the last couple of hysterias.

No organization is perfect. Please consider joining.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have changed my mind on the NRA and the philosophical and substantive differences, and realized it was like people arguing about supporting and voting for Trump as president.

When I look at a world with out either of them, and the resulting outcome, it was a figurative slap in the face and reset reality.

So, please forgive me for the virtual bitch slap.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I didn’t realize they were going to be in Dallas. I think I will make the drive up there to go attend. I just filled out the pre-registration and took advantage of an offer to upgrade my life membership to Patron for $300. Smile

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
You can join the NRA the day you visit and then entry is free of course. I was up for renewal last year when in Atlanta and I just joined in the day I went.

If you really want to see it all then definitely plan on being there from open to close. Or do two days leisurely. I did one day and would have enjoyed it more if able to go two days. There is a lot to see. And if you start talking to vendors or other attendees you can kill a lot of time. Lots of hands on also of various firearms, weapons and optics.

If you like to take freebies (huggies, key chains, vinyl decals, moral patches, bottle openers, gun oil and lubes, lip balm, brochures, ink pens, letter openers, hats) then bring a backpack to carry it all in. They give you a large recycle grocery style bag but a backpack is far more comfortable to carry and handle.

Bring some funds since you can buy just not firearms. Also for food and drink. As I was leaving a vendor was selling AK mags for $5 so they wouldn’t have to take any back with them. Had another vendor passing out, for free, Miller Lite in cans at the end also with huggies.

Good times, enjoy it.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:But I'm not a member.

You should reconsider joining, the NRA may not be perfect in your eyes, but they have way more clout than ANY other gun rights group, as evidenced by all the hate being directed at them by the "useful idiots".

No other group is garnering the headlines of the MSM like the feared NRA.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Good reminder. I just emailed my son, who I bought a life membership for years ago. I reminded him he can get in for free and to go and enjoy.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I plan on going. Having a get together and Dallas and the show will be a nice backdrop.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Already booked, should be great time.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] We've had philosophical and substantive differences, and I've chosen to be a member of other organizations. However, I have appreciated their response to the last couple of hysterias.[/QUOTE]

The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Do you agree 100% with everything those other groups stand for and can they influence legislation and the politicians as well as the NRA can?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
quote:
But I'm not a member.

Say what? Eek

The NRA is the 800 pound gorilla so to speak. If nothing else they are always the ones that the antis look at and blame. Which allows other organizations like GOA to operate more behind the scenes without having to publicly argue against the idiots.

If there is no NRA then the antis will simply shift there focus to the next organization.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I didn’t realize they were going to be in Dallas. I think I will make the drive up there to go attend. I just filled out the pre-registration and took advantage of an offer to upgrade my life membership to Patron for $300. Smile

Just registered myself and will be upgrading to Patron prior to the convention.

Reminder: If you have a Texas LTC or out of state reciprocal license feel free to carry.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The main exhibit floor is open to all, members don't have to pay an admission fee. There are other events, meetings, dinners, etc. that require membership, and/or an invitation. Plenty to see and do for non-members.

The vendor exhibits are far more extensive than anything you'll see at a gun show. Most exhibitors have their top technical and marketing staff present for one-on-one conversations, and at least one example of everything they are selling. Many manufacturers use this show to present new or imminent products.

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post