SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The NRA is coming to town....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NRA is coming to town.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My stepson and I are driving down Thursday. I've been to several but his never been and his really excited. Looking for some recommendations on places to eat, specifically where would you go for brisket/ burnt ends and chicken fried steak?

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I really like Babe's Chicken House for chicken fried steak. Thier sides are awesome and served family style, all you can eat with amazing biscuits. People talk a lot about Pecan Lodge BBQ but I've never tried it. I can recommend Mike Anderson's BBQ. I can't say that I've ever seen burnt ends on their menu but brisket, sausage and such are very good and they are very convenient to the convention center. For burgers I like Jake's Hamburgers. Thier McKinney Ave. or Henderson Ave. locations are near the center as well. McKinney has much more "scenery" than Henderson.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
Lockhart Smokehouse has great BBQ and I'm a fan of Dunstan's for steaks. Dunstans's on Lovers Lane has a great back room & their prices are very affordable.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
For great BBQ I can personally vouch for Lockhart Smokehouse and pecan Lodge as both are fantastic. Neither has chicken fried steak, but Pecan Lodge has fried chicken, but I would not go to a great bbq place for chicken fried steak so I would find somewhere else for that.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ thank you, we'll definitely be trying some of those places

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Lockhart and Pecan Lodge will likely be mobbed, especially PL. IMO, the brisket is the only highlight off PL's menu, and it isn't worth the line. I suggest you go over to Big Al's on Inwood instead. Very little line, and excellent brisket, beef ribs, and everything else. I second Babes for chicken, but there are so many places that have great CFS. I actually really liked a little bar downtown called Press Box, or the Rodeo Bar and Grill if they've reopened. No offense to anyone, but places like Sammy's, Mike Anderson's, and Sonny Bryan's are a step above the big chains, but they're all about sauce and sides.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I still think it would be cool if we can pick a time and location for SigForum members to meet up just to meet in person. Maybe someone can pick out a location on the first day and post it here for members to meet on Friday or Saturday somewhere at the convention.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I still think it would be cool if we can pick a time and location for SigForum members to meet up just to meet in person. Maybe someone can pick out a location on the first day and post it here for members to meet on Friday or Saturday somewhere at the convention.

Everyone wear your David Truong Molon Labe ring or carry a SigForum challenge coin in order to identify yourself.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

Everyone wear your David Truong Molon Labe ring or carry a SigForum challenge coin in order to identify yourself.

I will bring my challenge coin! Heck I keep forgetting to take it with me when I travel and take a picture of it when traveling so I will remember this time.

posted Hide Post
Wish I wasn't so far away, I'd be there in a heartbeat!! Enjoy a good time guys!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
I am going to and going to stay in dallas, but if anyone needs a RV hookup, i have one and my place is 2 hrs NE of dallas..js..we should do a SF meetup for supper or a beer >>??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I am planning to ride my motorcycle up early Friday morning, go to the show, stay the night Friday night in a hotel, stay as long as I can Saturday, and then ride back Saturday evening.

I still think it would be great to either meet up with other SigForum members at the show at some point or get together somewhere Friday night. Let me know you ideas.

BTW: Has anyone received their pre-registration packet yet? I registered a good while back and have not received my packet yet.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I pre-registered around the 1st of March and I've yet to receive anything.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:

We registered a little before that and we got ours yesterday in the mail.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:

We registered a little before that and we got ours yesterday in the mail.

Registered March 5.
Email claimed badges would be shipped by April 16.
Received badges today (3/18) by mail.
Figuring two days for USPS delivery, they came right on schedule.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I wish they would come back to Portland.

No chance though.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
My badge finally came in yesterday.

NRA Life Patron

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I got my badge and lanyard the other day; at least I think it is. I thought it would at least have my name on it, but it doesn’t. It says it is the expo pass.

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I had the same thought but checked some photos I took from the Houston convention a few years back and it was a generic pass with no personal identification.

NRA Life Patron

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
About 90% sure that I'm driving up to Dallas, and staying with a buddy real close to the Mustangs at Los Colinas.

From what I've gleaned, I don't need to pre-register and I just need to plunk down my Endowment Member card and I'm good to go. Is that correct?

I'll have my Sigforum copper challenge coin with me.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post