SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The NRA is coming to town....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NRA is coming to town.... Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am a Benefactor Member and live in Dallas, but I don't know that I will attend the meetings or see the exhibits. At my age I'm not as interested in walking through a lot of crowds any more--I haven't been to a gun show in several years. I'm sure the speeches will be inspiring, but I'm already inspired enough.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I went to the one in Nashville a couple of years ago with my wife and we both had a really good time. The NRA had a nice display of guns from their collection of historic guns, and there were gun and accessory brands with displays that I wouldn't have been able to see in person anywhere in my area. It was a little crowded but the people were friendly, and there were deals on accessories bought directly from the manufacturers. We bought a Crimson Trace laser at a good price for my wife's P238 directly from Crimson Trace, ordered a CrossBreed holster at a discount, saw Ted Nugent at the Glock area, and handled lots and lots of guns. The wife did a video rifle shooting game and had fun with it, and then we walked down the street afterwards and had dinner out. I'd definitely do it again if it were in my area.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'd love to attend an NRA convention some day - although Dallas is 'close' its not really close enough. Perhaps they will come to Phoenix at some point in the near future.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
It is worth joining. Especially now!
I went last year when it was in Atlanta. Save your lunch money, because there will be lots to buy!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn’t think Dallas wanted them there and the convention was thinking of going elsewhere? Did I miss a change?

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The showroom floor is epic. Absolutely worth going. I'd go just to visit the Dakota booth.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I didn’t think Dallas wanted them there and the convention was thinking of going elsewhere? Did I miss a change?
The Mayor Pro Tem did make an asinine statement about it but nothing came of it (as I expected--he's a nobody).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Their loudmouth dickbag temporary Mayor didn't want them there. I don't know about the rest of "Dallas".

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
We did Nashville as well. What a great town. The show was fantastic. Far too much for one day. Choose your shoes wisely.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I have changed my mind on the NRA and the philosophical and substantive differences, and realized it was like people arguing about supporting and voting for Trump as president.

When I look at a world with out either of them, and the resulting outcome, it was a figurative slap in the face and reset reality.

So, please forgive me for the virtual bitch slap.
I don't take it personally. The NRA did some stuff that I'm aware of that I believe crosses a line into actually thwarting progress on our rights. Not all of this is public information, and it is not my place to share it. I do think they eventually saw the error of their ways, but I haven't yet reconciled with them. I've been a member of GOA, JPFO, and am a SAF life member, and maybe I'll join the NRA now, at least long enough to take my son to the convention.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

Their loudmouth dickbag temporary Mayor didn't want them there. I don't know about the rest of "Dallas".
The mayor asked them to reconsider as well, but there's a contract, and no way the NRA could secure another venue now even if it wanted to, which it doesn't.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roger. Thank you.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I think I will drive up early Friday morning and see the exhibits, stay the night, see more exhibits on Saturday, and then drive back at the end of the day. I think it would be cool if all SigForum members who are going met up as a group to meet each other. Then we could go separate ways or travel the show as a group.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It's worth the trip. The Mrs and I had a great time in Atlanta last year.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1832 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I am excited about this as it will be my first NRA convention. I have booked my hotel for Friday night. I plan to drive up very early Friday morning and spend all day Friday and Saturday at the convention and drive back Saturday evening. I was able to find a hotel at a great rate for Friday night close by.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
The City of Dallas itself is rather small in area and relatively small in population, with a little over 1 million residents. The City of Dallas also votes liberal. The surrounding suburbs have an aggregate population of several million and vote in a much more conservative manner. So the Dallas mayor & idiot mayor pro-tem represent the "liberal minorities" that are the majority in the city of Dallas.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a reply that I received from U.S. Senator regarding gun control after I put in my two cents....it didn't help. Going to re-up with the NRA.

"That's why I and several of my colleagues have introduced bills that would reduce gun violence. Legislation such as Senator Bob Menendez's (D-NJ) Keep Americans Safe Act and Senator Dianne Feinstein's (D-CA) Assault Weapons Ban of 2017 and Automatic Gun Fire Prevention Act, would ban the sale and transfer of military-style assault weapons, high capacity ammunition magazines, and bump stocks. I have also cosponsored legislation that would close background check loopholes such as Senator Chris Murphy's (D-CT) Background Check Expansion Act and Senator Richard Blumenthal's (D-CT) Background Check Completion Act. Additionally, I support S. 834, A bill to authorize the appropriation of funds to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for conducting or supporting research on firearms safety or gun violence prevention. S. 834 would repeal the law that prevents the CDC from conducting research into the public health issues related to gun violence. This restriction prevents the public from benefitting from objective scientific research into the various impacts of gun violence on the mental and physical health of our society, and even the author of the legislation has since expressed support for the repeal of this misguided law. For more information on these bills, please visit: http://thomas.loc.gov."

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Good reminder. I just emailed my son, who I bought a life membership for years ago. I reminded him he can get in for free and to go and enjoy.

Right, but the part you left out was I asked you to go with me but you're too cool off flying planes!
I'll go Friday and Saturday and see some of you there. Didn't know about a patron upgrade, have to find out more about that. Wife and I live between Fort Worth and Dallas so we're spoiled this year!

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
But I'm not a member.
Say what? Eek
We've had philosophical and substantive differences, and I've chosen to be a member of other organizations. However, I have appreciated their response to the last couple of hysterias.
The enemy of my enemy ...

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
Since I won't get the chance again, I was thinking of checking out the convention. But I'm not a member. What's worth seeing at the convention, and do you have to be a member?

There are a few exceptions to get in if you are not a member. LEO, Military, volunteer at youth organizations are few. I attended Atlanta's meeting as a BSA volunteer. I am strange in that I have a non-member NRA number.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post