Notify
Tools

Bat boys Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
In MLB, do the bat boys travel on road trips with their team, or are bat boys furnished for visitors by the home stadium?

What do they do during school months?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
I don't believe they travel. I had a friend that was a bat boy for the Padres in like 89 to 91 if I remember correct and he made darn good money from all the cash tips from the players. He only worked home games. Made enough money to buy a buy a brand new Acura cash money at 19 yo.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
They're not all boys.

The young lady currently down the first base line for the Padres plays catch with the right fielder between innings and I'll tell you what; she knows how to toss them balls - with accuracy!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home team provides bat boys. During the Summer, some of the boys maybe kids of players or, other team employees.

During the school year, the boys tend to be older or, on a different school schedule. The club house manager is responsible for getting them up to speed on what to do, usually they have a rotation of kids they can call-on.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They come from caves.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Home team provides bat boys. During the Summer, some of the boys maybe kids of players or, other team employees.

During the school year, the boys tend to be older or, on a different school schedule. The club house manager is responsible for getting them up to speed on what to do, usually they have a rotation of kids they can call-on.

I suppose each team has to furnish uniforms in various sizes as it travels around.

I bet there are plenty of “volunteers.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The local AAA team has a Bat Dog as well as Boys. Local guy who is doing it for the publicity for his dog training school. Actually pretty cool.

In addition to retrieving the bats it also takes a cooler of water out to the 2nd base umpire and then also comes back and gets it.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Oddly, they all answer to the name "Robin."

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post