SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    July 4th celebrations not permitted
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

July 4th celebrations not permitted Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
It feels like something bad is stirring in the more populated areas of Utah. Every day for the last week or so, the local news have run stories on how scared the pets get, how to keep them safe, all the fires currently burning in the state, and today, a story on all the children who have been injured by fireworks in years past. Isn't that how restrictions usually start? To keep the children safe?

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. There has to be some consideration of the danger that fireworks pose during this severe drought. Here's a picture from the porch of my daughter's apartment in Orem yesterday. Fire started by fireworks.

Fire caused by the misuse of fireworks. Fireworks, firearms, and forks, aren't the problem and don't cause fires, deaths, and obesity (respectively).

I know that's not what you meant, but I spent part of the day arguing with a neighbor, who thought fireworks should be illegal.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Perhaps. Or perhaps not. There has to be some consideration of the danger that fireworks pose during this severe drought. Here's a picture from the porch of my daughter's apartment in Orem yesterday. Fire started by fireworks.

Fire caused by the misuse of fireworks. Fireworks, firearms, and forks, aren't the problem and don't cause fires, deaths, and obesity (respectively).

While true, that fails to take into account Stupid People.

Yes, it sucks that sometimes we're all deprived because of the actions of Stupid People, but sometimes that's what's needed for the preservation of the species. The same kind of Stupid People who would fail to notice that it's dry as a bone, fireworks can easily start fires, and burn the entire neighbourhood to the ground are the same kind of Stupid People that are one of the reasons high explosives aren't sold OTC. Nobody really much cares if they blow themselves to Kingdom Come, but the innocent bystanders are another question.

Likewise: I don't give a damn if you burn your house to the ground through stupidity. I do care if you burn down my house or the woods that surround it.

If we have uncommonly dry weather around here, which has happened, municipalities, counties, and I think even the state, have been known to prohibit fireworks on and around Independence Day. (Save the annual thing over the Detroit River, as water does not burn.)

I'm good with that. Because Stupid People.

I'm not about prohibiting fireworks, but we no longer go celebrate the 4th with friends. Because Stupid People. You see: A neighbour's home was burned to the ground a couple years ago due to alcohol-infused stupidity and fireworks at another neighbour's.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I don't need fireworks, me. If I was an American citizen, I'd be down on the range ready to shoot as the sun came up, and still be there to read by the light of my glowing barrels when the sun went down.

tac

You're an American in Spirit, Tac. Wink

Bless you for that comment, Sir.

Brought a lump to my throat.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, let's give up all our freedoms for safety.

We have to give up our freedom to celebrate our freedom for safetys' sake. That makes sense.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Update by the OP:
Our village fireworks on Lake Tahoe went off last night with no further problems. The other local festivities not so much. No county permit: The patriotic outdoor concert, a very popular event normally held on the village green and attended by 500, was moved to a church that seated about 100. The vendor fair on the village green was cancelled. The parade was cancelled. But the crowds were smaller, and that was pleasant.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
How hard would it be to write up an evacuation plan.... it seems if everything is in the same area one plan would work for anyone requesting a permit.... copy and paste can be your friend.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
How hard would it be to write up an evacuation plan.... it seems if everything is in the same area one plan would work for anyone requesting a permit.... copy and paste can be your friend.

Evacuation Plan in Event of Terrorist Attack:

1. Shoot attacking terrorists.
2. Evacuate bodies to morgue.

Feel free to cut and paste at will.

How would any other evacuation plan not be a road map for the terrorists to kill more people?

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:
I don't need fireworks, me. If I was an American citizen, I'd be down on the range ready to shoot as the sun came up, and still be there to read by the light of my glowing barrels when the sun went down.

tac

You're an American in Spirit, Tac. Wink

Bless you for that comment, Sir.

Brought a lump to my throat.

tac

Smile

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post