SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ¿ Instead of more toys, I should order Rosetta Stone® Puerto Rican?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

¿ Instead of more toys, I should order Rosetta Stone® Puerto Rican? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
Because I am betting that here in central Florida, I'd be at a tremendous advantage in the next few years.

https://support.rosettastone.c...r-Spanish-Spain-5030

Growing up in Ft. Lauderdale in the fifties and sixties, I had TV Spanish in 5th and 6th grades, but I wasted four years in Middle and High School taking German. It was supposed to be " the Language of Science."

I kinda got along in Cuban way back when, and in Mexican the last several years, but I think I need to get with the times, considering what God hath wraught recently.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the islanders speak English. Spanish is different from place to place, but not much different than, say, the difference between Brooklyn and Memphis. Never a bad idea to learn Spanish, though.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the islanders speak English. Spanish is different from place to place, but not much different than, say, the difference between Brooklyn and Memphis.

A place I worked at had a TexMex and a Puerto Rican. They had to converse in English, because they couldn't make heads nor tails of each other's Spanish.

I think the Puerto Rican was multi-unintelligible, as his English was pretty hard to follow, too.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
This Cuban born American, has spoken Spanish with individuals from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Spain, Argentina, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, The Dominican, and Honduras. No Problem

It's like an American, an Englishman, and an Australian all talking English.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
This Cuban born American, has spoken Spanish with individuals from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Spain, Argentina, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Panama, The Dominican, and Honduras. No Problem

It's like an American, an Englishman, and an Australian all talking English.

Sure, but can you understand a heavy Cockney or Brummie accent?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure, but can you understand a heavy Cockney or Brummie accent?

Yeah, but a Cockney accent... now that's a different thing all together Smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Whatever is spokenin Miami is nigh unintelligible. I can get by in Mexico and Cuba, and talk with Spainards, but neither my English nor Spanish worked in Miami

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
¿ Instead of more toys, I should order Rosetta Stone® Puerto Rican?
Nah, cause that's like, so 'last century'. Wink

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Www.duolingo.com

Just like rosetta stone, but FREE. Plenty of other free stuff out there.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the islanders speak English.

The issue isn't that they CAN speak english, it's that they don't, won't or act like they can't depending on the situation, and in certain areas of the city, they speak in the native language all the time.

So if you want to be able to understand whats being said about you, around you, or in the background you need some level of spanish comprehension, and it is getting worse.

We have a pretty good sized contingent of PR people in Central Florida, one of my wifes co-workers has just brought 6 family members here to live, she doubts they'll go back..

Can't blame them either for not wanting to go back PR is a major shithole right now.

Posts: 23394 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Heard on the radio, Orange County's plans for the influx.

School systems are asking to remove student classroom capacity caps, eliminating certain testing, hiring new Spanish speaking teachers and other employees, and making most tests available in Spanish.

Governor Scott has relaxed rules temporarily:
"For the time being, Puerto Rican students can start classes in Florida schools without birth certificates and health forms, for example, and would-be teachers can seek jobs without official college transcripts. The orders also mean Puerto Rican teachers can start applications at local school districts without paying some required fees."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...-20171006-story.html

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://tinyurl.com/y72v6ols

"Exodus from Puerto Rico grows as island struggles to rebound from Hurricane Maria

The government of Puerto Rico’s guess is that by the end of 2018, 200,000 more residents will have left the U.S. territory for good, moving to places such as Florida, New York, Texas, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New England. It would mean another drop of more than 5 percent in the island’s population.

Experts say the storm and its widespread devastation undoubtedly have sped up the pace of migration as residents have dealt with extended power outages, communication lapses, infrastructure failures and, in some cases, isolation. What already was the largest exodus in the island’s history now includes people fleeing in droves simply to achieve some sense of normalcy."

I hope they all get off welfare quickly, and vote conservative, not progressive.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
They have joined the crowd at the local Publix that sends thier cash back home. There is a separate line next ti the lottery counter. The line is always long. In this line they convert cash to Western Union transfers to other countries. Once done they shop for groceries with EBT. Somehow the employees manage patience and get through the language barrier. It is amazing seeing them do it. For fun some times I wear a US Border Patrol hat to buy lottery tickets! The last time I looked, a ICE hat was 26 bucks on Amazon.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
The last time I looked, a ICE hat was 26 bucks on Amazon.
Twelve bucks, and a bargain at that!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
The last time I looked, a ICE hat was 26 bucks on Amazon.
Twelve bucks, and a bargain at that!

That's the same border patrol hat I wear! I have received some looks with it on! You have to have your wits and situational awareness to wear it around here!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Because I am betting that here in central Florida, I'd be at a tremendous advantage in the next few years.

https://support.rosettastone.c...r-Spanish-Spain-5030

Growing up in Ft. Lauderdale in the fifties and sixties, I had TV Spanish in 5th and 6th grades, but I wasted four years in Middle and High School taking German. It was supposed to be " the Language of Science."

I kinda got along in Cuban way back when, and in Mexican the last several years, but I think I need to get with the times, considering what God hath wraught recently.

Spanish TV in Orlando schools 1960, I was in 2nd grade.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Www.duolingo.com

Thanks for that link. It's a cool site, I took a ten minute first lesson. It tells me I am 7% fluent in Spanish now, must be the "new" math. Wink

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Www.duolingo.com

Duo Lingo is really good. It's also crowd sourced, so the programs improve over time.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Www.duolingo.com

Duo Lingo is really good. It's also crowd sourced, so the programs improve over time.

It has High Valerian, but has neither Latin nor Klingon.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Www.duolingo.com

It has High Valerian, but has neither Latin nor Klingon.

I've been on Duolingo for 4-plus years and really like it. I can now read Spanish reasonably well, but I'm weak on the spoken side.

Regarding Klingon, a Duolingo course has been developed for it, but it hasn't been released for Beta yet. It's been a while so I think they may have sent it off to Qo'noS for content approval.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post