New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sleep Apnea Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
For those of you diagnosed with sleep apnea, what has been your experience using a CPAP machine?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Report This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I use a BiPAP & can't do without it. You'll get used to it if you try. Do it, your life will be better...and likely longer.

Sleep Apnea can kill you in a bunch of ways if left untreated.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
CPAP saved my life. After 10 years no longer needed it.

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you had a sleep study done and they're telling you that you need one, get it and use it. Your quality of life will improve immensely.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Report This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
If you had a sleep study done and they're telling you that you need one, get it and use it. Your quality of life will improve immensely.

In what ways?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Report This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Kind of a pain to get used to the hose attached to your face. I think it took about a week and a half to get used to it. Going on my second year now, it is indescribable how awesome it is to get a decent nights sleep again.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It took a little getting used to. If I fall asleep without it now, I don't sleep very long.

I would not give it up.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Report This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
In what ways?

I have an APAP which is a little different in that it tracks your breathing pattern and adds pressure in rhythm with your breathing. I've been told an APAP is better but don't know, I can say I like it and recommend it.

- Way better sleep
- awake more rested and potentially happier
- lower stress on your heart
- lower risk of heart attack, stroke
- wife not complaining about snoring and you stopping breathing
- Less grouchy
- less agitated
- more energy
- I haven't had any night terrors since, Prior I took on pirates, grimm reaper, bad guys from harry potter, to the detriment to my knees, whole in the wall/fist, drapes and curtains.

Its hard to list or even know everything. I can tell you it is one of the best things I've ever done for my personal health.

I can tell you that if you have been tested and it is recommended for you then get one no questions asked.

I use just a nose mask and it has worked fine it was easy for me to adjust to wearing. For me I picked it up right away with no problem. It is good to just sit on your bed and practice wearing it and breathing in and out of your nose. Then when you do the same thing when you go to bed that first time it should make it easier. Rhythmic breathing exercises are great for going to sleep regardless of using a machine, breath in for the count of 6 and then out for the count of 6. If you do that with the machine you'll fall asleep pretty quickly.

If you get one and don't notice a difference in the first week I'll send you some coffee.

Well that is what I know I hope it will help you some.

-S

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Report This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
the apneic events where you cease breathing at night can occur hundreds or thousands of time per night and interrupt your sleep cycle.

Getting more hours of continuous sleep and being able to progress naturally through the various stages of sleep and through the complete cycles will allow you to get more restorative and restful sleep.

It's a struggle to get used to sleeping on the machine, but when you can get 7+ hours of quality sleep, you will regain energy and overall better health.

Also, if you are overweight or obese with a large neck, please do everything that you can to drop some weight. The extra weight around your middle and along the neck can really hamper your ability to breath, especially laying down at night. There have been some folks with sleep apnea that no longer use the machine when they were able to drop a fair amount of weight.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is I don't snore anymore,takes a little getting used to. I've only been doing it a month and for 5 of those days I was sick and couldn't breathe out of my nose. I feel I'm still getting use to it.

Posts: 366 | Location: north east, ohio | Registered: January 11, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:

In what ways?

You won't be tired all the time once you're getting REM sleep. Sleep Apnea also puts a heck of a strain on your heart. If you have a family history of heart issues, SA is a HUGE risk factor.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Horrific nightmares that woke me flailing like demons were trying to kill me.

Not fun.

I tried tranquilizers, hypnotics, etc. to no effect.

Gave up on it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
8 weeks in. Worst waste of time on my case. Made my sleep worse.
Constant waking. Dry mouth. If i got 4 hrs of sleep with it, it was a good night.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
On a machine since '99. Feel more/better rested in morning, etc. The bigger payoff is the long term longevity issues, mitigating congestive heart failure.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you guys serious about these violent dreams being related to SA ? I have them so bad I sometimes wake up drenched in sweat. Sometimes I scare myself with this stuff. I don't really know where it's coming from but if it's related to SA,why?

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Report This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
CPAP saved my life. After 10 years no longer needed it.

I got one 8 years ago and went for a sleep test checkup this last weekend. The assistant said I did not meet the low apnea threshold my doc set so mine may be gone as well. Won't know officially for a week or two.

That being said, I still get a better nights rest with the cpap machine than without.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Report This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Best thing I ever did for myself... and Mrs. 'Hook too. No more snoring or waking up knowing I didn't get a good night's rest because of it. My daily struggles to remain awake after lunch virtually ceased within a week. I've been on it 6 years and will never go back to sleeping without it. And I have a backup machine just in case the main one quits - that's how important it is to me.

There is a forum member who sells CPAP machines and other equipment for a fair price in the classifieds. I have bought from him before and found him great to deal with and very honest.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Report This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Bi-pap for me. No longer fall asleep at my desk. Lost some weight due to getting the restorative sleep.

My wife uses one, I use one, and it really has made a difference.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Been on a CPAP since '97. Couldn't sleep without one.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get a mask that works well for you. Some DME suppliers will allow you to exchange the mask within 30 days if it does not work for you. If you need to exchange it, do it.

Most people who do not keep using their CPAP quit because their mask is uncomfortable.