SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump urges Ban on Bump Stocks and other like modifications
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump urges Ban on Bump Stocks and other like modifications Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I'm fine with banning bump stocks specifically. They are dumb.

I'm not. I'm not fine with it in the least.

Bump stocks are dumb though.

quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
I am okay with this. I am also okay if they ban binary triggers.

I also saw some mention of raising the age to purchase ARs from 18 to 21 perhaps like handguns. None of these changes bother me but that’s probably because they don’t affect me.

Yeah, if it doesn't appeal to me, I'm totally cool with banning items other people might enjoy. Roll Eyes

quote:

I am just concerned about the potential for scope creep with banning things...

Uhhh...yeah, ya think?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Fellas, the Pres has been four or five steps ahead since he was a candidate. He has earned the ability with me to at least see what he has in mind. We have a habit of ALWAYS jumping to Defcon 48 when we see things we don't know about.

If he is going to support bad changes, I'll deal with it then when we actually see what he has in mind.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I listened closely to his speech.

Taken at face value, he pretty much just crapped on the leftest "plans for bans".

Go listen to it again.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Yep, keep in mind that they had well more than 60 votes in the Senate for a bump stock ban after Vegas, but the dems kept adding things like an AWB to the bill so the whole thing just collapsed.

It could very well go the same way again this time. The dems could care less about bump stocks or enhanced background checks, they want a ban and may very well not settle for anything less.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Fellas, the Pres has been four or five steps ahead since he was a candidate. He has earned the ability with me to at least see what he has in mind. We have a habit of ALWAYS jumping to Defcon 48 when we see things we don't know about.

If he is going to support bad changes, I'll deal with it then when we actually see what he has in mind.

My initial thought when seeing this was that he was likely just stringing these leftists along the same the NRA did when they called for a review of the regulations.

After all, Trump did not mention anything about new laws in regards to bump stocks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

This.

Hey look!!! Something shiny! They get all excited for a moment, maybe actually pass something, then forget about it. If we do have to give something up, I think it will be like DACA, if you really want these bump stock thingies, fine I want xyz. He seems to be one step ahead, always, even when it seems he's put his entire foot all the way down his throat.

It's all for show, or a small concession to be negotiated for a bigger prize. That way they can run home to California and New York and claim a victory and the American people can laugh their asses off.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What would banning of bump stocks have done to prevent the school shootings? What would universal background checks have done to prevent Sandy Hook, Douglas high or the several church shootings? What would waiting times have done? Nothing, nothing, nothing. In all cases signs were ignored by the authorities the knuckleheads in society want to give more power to. It's almost as if no one really wants to solve the problem......hmmmmm.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
If we do have to give something up, I think it will be like DACA, if you really want these bump stock thingies, fine I want xyz.

This is also how I think it should be approached. You want this? We want that. That's compromising, don't give up anything without something in return.

For example, you want bump stocks banned, we want teachers and administrators allowed to CCW in schools. You want to up the age limit for buying AR's? We want the removal of all gun and magazine bans at the state level.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I don't see why we have to give anything up. School shootings are going to continue and we are going to run out of rights to give away. If this were truly regarded as a crisis, we could have armed guards in every school by the end of the week. Fundamentally changing society seems to be the long route for fortifying schools against attack.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:

For example, you want bump stocks banned, we want teachers and administrators allowed to CCW in schools.

They already are allowed. Or at least, the feds aren't stopping the states from allowing it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

For example, you want bump stocks banned, we want teachers and administrators allowed to CCW in schools.

They already are allowed. Or at least, the feds aren't stopping the states from allowing it.

Ok, point taken, but I think you see where I'm going with the main point of my argument.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 578 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Do any of you all listen to "The Student of the Gun"? (I listen to the podcast 1-2x a week from the iPhone podcast app. Its also on IHeart Radio and I guess on-line elswhere) In my opinion Paul Markel has some very good feedback on this (And other matters related to so many parties trying to basically take away our liberties and grow government)

http://www.studentofthegunradio.com/

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok, point taken, but I think you see where I'm going with the main point of my argument.

Indeed I do.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
A little here and a little there is a bad thing. Pretty soon your a mile down the road wondering how you got there.

The focus should be on strengthening and enforcing the existing laws.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Banning features is a bad principle. Remember, these are Progressives.

Terrible mistake to just give this away. Trump may be a little naïve about these gun grabbers.

Trump needs a bump stock put to his nuts for even considering such a thing.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
How about a deal? We can give them bump stocks if they give us Pelosi's retirement.

Throw in Chuck the Schmuk Schumer and I'm good with the deal.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
quote:
THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 20, 2018

February 20, 2018

MEMORANDUM FOR THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

SUBJECT: Application of the Definition of Machinegun to “Bump Fire” Stocks and Other Similar Devices

After the deadly mass murder in Las Vegas, Nevada, on October 1, 2017, I asked my Administration to fully review how the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives regulates bump fire stocks and similar devices.

Although the Obama Administration repeatedly concluded that particular bump stock type devices were lawful to purchase and possess, I sought further clarification of the law restricting fully automatic machineguns.

Accordingly, following established legal protocols, the Department of Justice started the process of promulgating a Federal regulation interpreting the definition of “machinegun” under Federal law to clarify whether certain bump stock type devices should be illegal. The Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking was published in the Federal Register on December 26, 2017. Public comment concluded on January 25, 2018, with the Department of Justice receiving over 100,000 comments.

Today, I am directing the Department of Justice to dedicate all available resources to complete the review of the comments received, and, as expeditiously as possible, to propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.

Although I desire swift and decisive action, I remain committed to the rule of law and to the procedures the law prescribes. Doing this the right way will ensure that the resulting regulation is workable and effective and leaves no loopholes for criminals to exploit. I would ask that you keep me regularly apprised of your progress.

You are authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.

DONALD J. TRUMP

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/n...n-las-vegas-shooting

Posts: 545 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I'm fine with banning bump stocks specifically. They are dumb.

There better not be any of that 'rate increasing device' BS though...

https://imgur.com/gallery/TO8BGgw?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today, I am directing the Department of Justice to dedicate all available resources to complete the review of the comments received, and, as expeditiously as possible, to propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.

If you read what this actually says, it does not call for banning bumpstocks. It calls for expeditiously ruling about devices that turn a legal gun into an illegal one. Let's see what the final rule looks like before jumping to any conclusions.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund at 2147, 17Jan17:

I have been looking at tea leaves and sheep entrails, though, and that leads me to predict that within the next year, many, many of President-Elect Trump’s supporters will be complaining about things he’s done or hasn’t done.

Okay, I missed it (this one, anyway) by a month.

I don’t have a slide fire stock, have no desire to own one, and believe they’re a ridiculous waste of money and ammunition, and, in fact—like most features that permit high volumes of poorly-aimed fire—actually reduce the shooter’s effectiveness. I will, however, remind everyone in the “It’s okay because it doesn’t affect me personally” crowd that that’s been true of at least a few gun owners and every single infringement of our gun rights that has ever been enacted.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post