SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chrome videos will not play/load.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrome videos will not play/load. Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Yesterday I started having issues with videos not wanting to play in Chrome.

Nothing was important and I had other things to do so I didn't think much about it.

Same thing tonight. Youtube and Netflix no go with Chrome. Open the same thing in Firefox and it works. Checked and Chrome is updated as is my OS. FWIW I'm on a Macbook.

Youtube pages load but it will not play at all. I can click on the timeline thing and it will jump to another part of the video and show a different frame on the screen but will not play.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
comet24,
Have u tried VLC player - never had a problem with any videos playing in it on my iMac or Linux laptops .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bernborough2000:
comet24,
Have u tried VLC player - never had a problem with any videos playing in it on my iMac or Linux laptops .
best .

Yes, I use VLC. It is great as it will play almost any media.

My problem is web-based videos like youtube and Netflix. As far as I know for VLC I need the video file on my computer.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

posted Hide Post
comet24 ,
Sorry mate , never realized , If u want to save the video on your Mac and then play it , you can use 4K video downloader ( FREE ) , for Youtube - have never bothered with Netflix .
best .

posted Hide Post
comet24,
common problem dating back past 2015 - over 5 million entries found by Google - think they would have fixed it by now - caused by " extensions " or adblock or God knows . If you open Chrome and go up to the apple symbol and Force Quit chrome and then reopen chrome , it sometimes fixes it .
Best .

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bernborough2000:
comet24,
common problem dating back past 2015 - over 5 million entries found by Google - think they would have fixed it by now - caused by " extensions " or adblock or God knows . If you open Chrome and go up to the apple symbol and Force Quit chrome and then reopen chrome , it sometimes fixes it .
Best .

Interesting. I've used Chrome for years on a MacBook without issue. I did google it but so much to dig through. I did close Chrome and restart it but no go. Didn't think to force quit it though.

Now today it is working. Why/how I don't know. Wish I did as I like to understand what the problem was.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Mine was busted yesterday too, but it looks like there was an update.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Whenever Chrome acts up on me I just "Reset" it. I only us it at work (FF at home on all my Macs). Try the steps below. Also check make sure your Flash extension is up to date.

Launch Chrome and open its Settings menu by clicking on the button in the top right-hand corner of the window.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit ‘Show advanced settings…’. Scroll down the window once again and locate the ‘Reset settings’ menu. Confirm the process by hitting the ‘Reset’ button in the dialog box you will see.

Check your extensions afterward because some get disabled during the reset.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post