SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving to north Florida - Tallahassee - places to avoid?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to north Florida - Tallahassee - places to avoid? Login/Join 
posted
Gang, changed employers right as the pandemic lock-down began, am going to be re-locating to Tallahassee soon.

Don't plan on buying right away, two kids in college there and after they graduate may move again.

Areas to look at for rentals, plus areas to avoid? Will be moving up there early August.

Thanks!

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't live there but this looks like a good place to start to point you in the right direction.

https://www.neighborhoodscout....fl/tallahassee/crime

Posts: 9512 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I went to FSU but it's been a few decades! Generally, north of I-10 is good to go. East of town out on Apalachee parkway has some decent neighborhoods as well. Lots of options, depending on where you will be working and if you like more land, avoid subdivisions, etc.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you can afford. Southwood is A nice planned community on the SE side of town. Most of southside not so much. Northeast (north of 10 on both sides of 319/Thomasville is generally good). Bucklake area tends to be decent. Then there are spots tucked around town. If you see something but have questions hit me up and I’ll give you the skinny. Welcome!

Posts: 236 | Registered: October 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
^^^^

This.

Grew up there, lived in Killearn on North side, sort of old houses now. My dad and sister still live there and I visit a few times a year.

Then we lived off of Bradfordville Rd - some really nice places with big lots towards Centerville Rd. And its close to GA where you can find cheaper gas. Then off Velda dairy.

I would not want to live south of I-10 or West of N Monroe but thats just me.

No need for schools it seems but the district makes a difference obviously from a financial standpoint. Lawton Chiles on North Side is pretty good, Leon is a good school but the area is mixed from a housing standpoint. Lincoln also a good school.

Good outdoor gun range (Talon) West of town.

Could probably still get a nice piece of land not too far from town if thats what you wanted.

Good luck!

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Well it's about time you escape from SE FL! I can't answer where to move but I can say I'm very happy for ya'll for being able to prosper after all the years of hard work in SE Fl!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a flavor and don’t avoid these gems approx. 45 minutes north of Tally.

http://www.jonahsfish.com/menu/

http://www.liamsthomasville.com/

https://chophouseonthebricks.com/

Oh, and Talon range is the bomb !

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the tips, looks like north of I10 will be where we scout around.

I didn't even think of places to eat or shooting ranges, nice. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
Well it's about time you escape from SE FL! I can't answer where to move but I can say I'm very happy for ya'll for being able to prosper after all the years of hard work in SE Fl!

The branch I'm working for is in Birmingham, but I'm okay'd for anywhere in GA, FL, AL area. It's tough to make it in south Florida on one income.

<><

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
As others have said, definitely northeast part of town. I recommend north of I-10 and east of Meridian Road. Feel free to contact me via email and I will answer any questions you have. I have lived in Tallahassee for years and am former Tallahassee PD so I can definitely help you with places to avoid.

If you live in the northeast, you will never have to go to town if you dont want to. Pleny of stores, restaurants, etc

Also, check out Talon Range. You will thank me. [edited to add] Looks like someone beat me on the Talon range recommendation. Consider me am enthusiastic second. Also several good gunshops.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:
As others have said, definitely northeast part of town. I recommend north of I-10 and east of Meridian Road. Feel free to contact me via email and I will answer any questions you have. I have lived in Tallahassee for years and am former Tallahassee PD so I can definitely help you with places to avoid.

If you live in the northeast, you will never have to go to town if you dont want to. Pleny of stores, restaurants, etc

Outstanding, definitely appreciate the feedback. Knowing its a college town, I expected more property crime / car theft type of stuff & to avoid that, but really don't have any desire for city life or crowds. Thanks!!

<><

Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
Hit me up if you want to email or chat. I would be happy to help any way I can.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a quick follow-up & thanks to those who chimed in.

We found a place in the Northeast side of town & like it a lot. Lots of older homes, quiet neighborhood & much less crazy drivers.

Kids are having a bit of transition as they were all born and/or raised in south Florida, but they can always move back when the time comes if they prefer. Big Grin

Do appreciate the tips!

<><

Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
Just a quick follow-up & thanks to those who chimed in.

We found a place in the Northeast side of town & like it a lot. Lots of older homes, quiet neighborhood & much less crazy drivers.

Kids are having a bit of transition as they were all born and/or raised in south Florida, but they can always move back when the time comes if they prefer. Big Grin

Do appreciate the tips!

Glad he move went smoothly and you found a place. Have you checked out Talon Range yet? Its a must see. I can point you to 3 good gun stores, but stock is a little thin right now. Email is in my profile if you are interested.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Glad he move went smoothly and you found a place. Have you checked out Talon Range yet? Its a must see. I can point you to 3 good gun stores, but stock is a little thin right now. Email is in my profile if you are interested.

Haven't been to the range yet, been trying to find some furniture that's in very short supply. Having seen RogueJSK warning about that on a different thread, I managed to only get rid of the couch, if I didn't keep the loveseat, family'd be watching movies on lawn chairs in the living room. Big Grin

Email your way on some gun shops.

<><

Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
quote:

Haven't been to the range yet, been trying to find some furniture that's in very short supply. Having seen RogueJSK warning about that on a different thread, I managed to only get rid of the couch, if I didn't keep the loveseat, family'd be watching movies on lawn chairs in the living room. Big Grin

Email your way on some gun shops.

Good deal. Standing by.