Find
Notify
Tools

Korean War Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HJrocket:
BB61
204th FA Bn. was a federalized Natl. Guard unit, they were equipped with 155mm Guns "Long Toms" and were assigned to Corps Artillery. I was in 3d Inf Div. 39th FA bn, a 105 How unit in direct support of 15th Inf Regt. Started out as FO with L Co 15th inf, ended up battery Commander "C" Battery 39th.
Hence my CUT Kane Charley Six was my net call on LL during the war.

THANK YOU for your service.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HJrocket:
BB61
204th FA Bn. was a federalized Natl. Guard unit, they were equipped with 155mm Guns "Long Toms" and were assigned to Corps Artillery. I was in 3d Inf Div. 39th FA bn, a 105 How unit in direct support of 15th Inf Regt. Started out as FO with L Co 15th inf, ended up battery Commander "C" Battery 39th.
Hence my CUT Kane Charley Six was my net call on LL during the war.

My grandfather was a CWO in the 204th. He was breveted to major in the Army during WW2 and offered a transfer to the regular Army and the promotion made permanent at the end of the war. He declined and was discharged. Missing the Army, he went back in 1949 and joined the 204th. They didn't have a position for an officer at the time so he took a CWO slot and went to Korea. According to a book written by his CO, the 204th fired over 100,000 rounds in their first year in Korea. There is a marker in Korea that I have a picture of commemorating the 100,000 round. A general from I corps came down to fire the official round as well.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post