Notify
Tools

Korean War Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
The so called Korean War started today in 1950.

It is still going.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
My father (USAF) served in Korea and Japan immediately after WW-II.

Thank God for men and women like him who did.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AzMikeCFD102,

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Yet it is often referred to as The Forgotten War.
I was just telling my husband that it amazes me how many people I talk to who 1) don't know there is a difference between the North and the South and 2) have heard of the Korean War but they think it was Korea vs. the US.

I am thankful to all veterans, but personally to those of the Korean War.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
My father was there, he never talked about it.
Seems that he wanted to forget about it.
I doubt he did though.
I totally agree that is The Forgotten War.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father flew F-84"s in Korea

Posts: 159 | Registered: February 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Truman should've let MacArthur take N. Korea.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I recently read a great book covering the cold war, the soviets had positioned atomic capable bombers close and the thought is they would have been forced to retaliate. More than likely targeting Seoul or Tokyo.

We will never know of course

The one thing I do know from serving very close to the DMZ, I would not wanted to be in those trenches on top of those hill (they are still there, with range cards drawn on stones) facing those bugle blowing chicoms.

Especially in the winter

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

MacArthur pretty much did.

Those pesky upstairs neighbors got a little miffed by our presence and knocked us around some, though.

I've read alot of the air war over Korea, then later on, read: 'This Kind of War', by TR Fehrenbach.

A very eye opening, head shaking read about the ground war and the pathetic state of our Army after WWII.

I also spoke with a number of Korean War vets and some of their stories were jaw dropping.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Why Did America Fight the Korean War?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...EUM&feature=youtu.be

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:

MacArthur pretty much did.

Those pesky upstairs neighbors got a little miffed by our presence and knocked us around some, though.

I've read alot of the air war over Korea, then later on, read: 'This Kind of War', by TR Fehrenbach.

A very eye opening, head shaking read about the ground war and the pathetic state of our Army after WWII.

I also spoke with a number of Korean War vets and some of their stories were jaw dropping.

"This Kind of War" was required reading the last time I was assigned to Lorea. Recall the closing. That the United States was strong in the air and one the seas. So we were attecked on the ground. That Korea was the only time a communist invasion was tried. After that there were "civil wars" and "wars of liberation."

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
As a veteran of WW II, Korea, and RVN. IMHO Korea had the toughest terrain, weather, and least interest of The Great American Public of the others. The Chinese 24th Army who were facing my unit (3d Inf Div) soldiers were tenacious fighters, ill equipped,ill clothed,ill fed, but still a force because there were so many of them!!

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Weather in Korea is always some mixture of hot wet, and cold. My father served in the Navy on a destroyer then on a river gun boat. He never talked about it until the month before he died. I now know why out of all the war movies, Apocalypse Now was the one that affected him the most.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My dad was 4F due to a bad ear but his brother (my uncle) went. He's never talked to anyone about his experiences there, even his kids. He's almost 90 now and I sat down with him last fall and asked a few probing questions to try to get something out of him and...nothing. He simply won't go there.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My Uncle was there as a Medic. There were horrible times he rarely spoke about.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
One lesson to be learned from that war is how utterly unprepared the U.S. was in 1950 for a ground war. It was as if Washington never expected to need infantry after 1945.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were not ready for another war.

Truman had severely cut military funding in 1948 while Stalin supplied North Korea and China with whatever military equipment was necessary for an invasion. Plus, following WWII our troops in Japan were in a occupation status.

First American troops sent to Korea from Japan in June 1950 were eaten up by NK forces.

Weeks later, MacArthur's invasion at Inchon saved the day for us. (30 foot tides at Inchon)

IMO, the Korean War should have ended at the 38th Parallel before we entered NK.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
My uncle, my dad's older brother, fought in Korea in the Army infantry and caught a serious sickness / disease there that damaged his liver. He never fully recovered. Slowly, over the decades, his liver continued to deteriorate until it finally failed, couldn't get a liver transplant, and died in 1991 at the age of 59 during my first semester in college so I couldn't even make it to his funeral. He was a brave, intelligent man that I enjoyed visiting and talking with while we had time and still miss him and think of him frequently. My dad and my aunt, miss him too as do his four children, my cousins. Thank you for your service tio(uncle)!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HJrocket:
As a veteran of WW II, Korea, and RVN. IMHO Korea had the toughest terrain, weather, and least interest of The Great American Public of the others. The Chinese 24th Army who were facing my unit (3d Inf Div) soldiers were tenacious fighters, ill equipped,ill clothed,ill fed, but still a force because there were so many of them!!

Were you by chance in the 204 Field Artillery Battalion (I saw where you live)? My grandfather was a vet of WW2 and Korea and served with the 204th in Korea. I inherited everything related to his military service. Of note, I have his original 8mm film (color and black and white) that he took of the 204th in Korea. In one scene, he actually filmed them crossing over the 38th Parallel.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
KANE CHARLEY 6
posted Hide Post
BB61
204th FA Bn. was a federalized Natl. Guard unit, they were equipped with 155mm Guns "Long Toms" and were assigned to Corps Artillery. I was in 3d Inf Div. 39th FA bn, a 105 How unit in direct support of 15th Inf Regt. Started out as FO with L Co 15th inf, ended up battery Commander "C" Battery 39th.
Hence my CUT Kane Charley Six was my net call on LL during the war.

OLDUtahskibum

Posts: 203 | Location: Sandy,UT (Greatest snow on earth) | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My uncle whom I never met died November 28, 1950 in Korea. He was a forward observer.
He was a graduate of West Point, class of 1950, which meant he graduated sometime in June. We're talking graduation to death in less than six months.
His class suffered the highest percentage of first year deaths of graduates. They sent many lieutenants to Korea without basic officer school training due to the need to get troops there.
My dad was a fellow graduate and never made it to Korea.
I currently have a nephew who is flying Apaches in SK.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post