SIGforum
Lost a bunch of contacts...makes no sense...advice from those smarter than me?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2550058364

December 02, 2019, 09:01 PM
chongosuerte
Lost a bunch of contacts...makes no sense...advice from those smarter than me?
iPhone 8+

I’ve lost untold dozens of contacts. Some from the last year, some from two years ago, and some from ten years ago. But I kept some from last week, last year, and years ago. Makes no sense.

Order of events:
Changed my gmail password in September or so. Didn’t bother to update it on my phone because I never use it. I realized later (as in an hour ago) that my contacts are shown as synced to that account.

Sometime about three weeks ago: Did the most recent iPhone system update. Kept getting prompts after to log into my gmail but ignored them Bc I didn’t care about that account. All contacts intact.

Last night: Finally put my new password into gmail. Immediately lost probably over a hundred contacts from various points since I’ve had a phone. My entire family’s numbers etc are gone, for instance.

I thought my phone was set to sync contacts to the iCloud nightly. When I try to open my iCloud it says nothing is there.

Any suggestions from the computer literate on the forum?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones
December 02, 2019, 09:51 PM
Pyker
Happened to me. 1st fix worked in my case.

Contacts vanished after update
September 22, 2023, 04:55 AM
Siuuu
Without iCloud backup can be a bit challenging, see if this can help you out: https://www.fonedog.com/ios-da...-without-icloud.html
September 22, 2023, 06:03 AM
calugo
I was concerned about losing all my contacts so I went the old fashioned route and grabbed a pen and paper and wrote them down. Archaic but it works and if anything fails I don't lose my contacts.