SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is it worth it fixing an "inexpensive" watch?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it worth it fixing an "inexpensive" watch? Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I bought an OEM leather strap for a beater Victorinox gifted to me in 2001. The watch was $8 thrift-store used quality. The new strap was bought in 2008 or so after the old one disintegrated. It cost $30-something delivered.

The GF is dead. I rarely wear a watch. But it is one of the very few things from her that I still have.

Funny how we attach importance to small material items.

Seiko has a repair facility. If you mailed them the watch they'd probably drop a new movement into it. At the least, it'll only cost you postage to have them assess it. In the repair note, stress "Case and bracelet to remain.'

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Can a watch be demagnetized? We have an industrial demag loop in the instrument shop.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it my be magnetized. You can get a demagnetizer on Amazon for $12.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My theory on what caused the initial problem was a sawzall. Using it cutting up a boat without thinking. It dawned on me a while into the project that what I was doing probably wasnt automatic watch friendly, so I started taking it off. It still didnt get real bad till a year or so later.

How it went from right to very fast sitting in my desk for two months I couldn't say.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
My theory on what caused the initial problem was a sawzall.

Rolex makes a watch just for this purpose. The Milgauss. Love the green bezel model!

I bet the guys on jewelers row would have a nifty demagnetizer.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Five minutes a month is a daily average of ten seconds/day. Pretty damn good for that movement.

Your watch movement needs service, Cleaning, re-assembly and lubrication. Most watch repairers will also regulate and demagnetize as a part of their service. It will cost you $100-150 for the service.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
quote:

Rolex makes a watch just for this purpose. The Milgauss. Love the green bezel model!

I bet the guys on jewelers row would have a nifty demagnetizer.

Lol

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, I just took an older Orange Monster in for repair, it will cost me more to fix it then I paid for it. But I like the watch and now they are triple for a new one.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wait... what? Using a Sawzall messed up your watch? How so?

I don't understand. Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Original Monster with 7S26 movement, worth more than you paid for it - by a lot.

New movement is under $50.

Regulate it at the time of replacement and you will be amazed at how well it keeps time!

Don't need to send it to Seiko, any qualified watchmaker can do the work.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Wait... what? Using a Sawzall messed up your watch? How so?

I don't understand. Confused

Violently shaking it for 30-40 minutes at a time.

Ever cut something non ridged / unsupported, with a reciprocating saw, where the saw is moving just as much as the blade? That. A lot.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have. With a Sawzall, even. Razz Big Grin

I just never really thought about it messing up my watch. As I think about it now, I guess I'm not usually wearing a watch when doing that sort of thing, which is probably why I never thought about it. Smile

Do you think the long-duration shaking caused strictly mechanical issues (bearing damage, for instance)? Magnetizing has been mentioned -- could the vibrations cause that sort of thing? Or am I mixing potential causes?

(Geeze, maybe I'm just dense tonight. It's been quite a week....)

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Can a watch be demagnetized? We have an industrial demag loop in the instrument shop.

Yes

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post