SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kayak Trailer.... which one ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kayak Trailer.... which one ? Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted
Looking for a kayak trailer. Tired of hooking these things up in the bed of the truck.

Considering Malone or Yakima.

Opinions ?

Which would you choose ?

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Tagged.

I'm leaning toward the Malone. People who have used it have had good experiences (but irrelevant sample size of 3).

Yakima has damper/spring suspension (not sure if that's good or bad, needed or not) but is also more expensive.

I like the structural shape of the Malone (triangle) vs the boxy shape of the Yakima. I think the Malone is rated for higher weight load.

So, I'm leaning toward a (used) Malone with the square crossbars. But following this for other considerations.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Yup.

The Malone has some multi-purpose flexibility in its design.

I also like the collapsible tongue option offered by the Malone.

However, the weight and suspension of the Yakima is also attractive.

Just looking for some opinions of users in the real world.

I’ve got four yaks and I would use the trailer for garage storage as well as for transportation of the boats for outings.

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
We bought a Yakima and have used it locally as well as for two trips to FL and the UP (from central TX). It tows very well and sits upright in the garage in front of the car. I can't compare it to the Malone but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Bump for comments

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am in the camp of buying a trailer that can used as a utility trailer that could haul a lot of different things. Not just a kayak. Just me I know.

Many people buy these useless niche items. Sorry, how I feel about it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Good suggestion. I looked at them quickly before but couldn't find anything suitable at a reasonable price. Many had the rear ramp.

But I searched again and found this. Something like this might work - can attach cross bars to the raised side. But don't really know anything about trailer and whether something like this is worth buying. But it would be cheaper if it works (well, maybe not - mounts + crossbars is probably $300-400).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry...y-Trailer/1000198095

I think I'd like something like this if it could be bought for < $1000.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers...y-Trailer-Rental/AO/

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Better, not sure where you are but there are ton's of good trailer manufacturers out there. Some local.

Big Tex comes to mind.

I would want at least 14" tires, preferably 15" for towing.

Look on craigslist too.

You will never be sorry that you bought a quality built utility trailer. A junk one, not so much.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite a few people around here use a basic utility trailer and have a welding shop make a kayak or canoe rack to sit in / be attached to the trailer. That being said, if I needed to haul kayaks on a trailer, I would buy one of the purpose built models. It would be important to me if it could be folded or stood up, to save storage space.

I currently haul ours either using a truck bed extender, on racks above the truck bed, or on roof racks.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'd get and modify a utility trailer, but not everybody has room to store one. If you want to launch from a trailer, I'd get and modify a PWC trailer. I'm sure the Yakima is great, but there's no way I'd spend $2,000 on one over the Malone that looks to be umder $1,000. On the other hand, I've never seen either in person, so maybe there is justification for the Yakima I don't see.

We use a KZ Venom 3311TQ to haul our five kayaks and five bicycles. Works great.

When we get to where we are staying, I have a rack for the truck I put the longer kayaks on and the shorter ones go underneath in the bed with the tailgate down.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Hang on to your wallet. Not as bad as the Venom above, but I really like these. Fits my lifestyle. Unfortunately, not my wallet.
www.sylvansport.com

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.commercialtrucktra...-Outback--5001670266

enclosed, out of sight , out of mind , why buy a $1,110 trailer for one single use?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'll consider an enclosed trailer -- good for trips. But need to weigh against local use and just carrying stuff like a fridge or something tall. For which I could just rent a u-haul. Decisions, decisions.

Dumb question for the more experienced. I kayak in places were sometimes the truck needs to take a 'step' up/down off pavement. Not a smooth incline but more like driving down a rock or small step in elevation. My truck doesn't have an aggressive approach/departure angle -- is trailer going to be okay for stuff like this? If not, that may be a deal breaker. Definitely need to be able to handle off pavement conditions like 6-8" steps in the trail.

Also, a lot of the 5x8 utility trailers I see have a rear ramp. Can I remove that easily? Kayaks will need to extend beyond the end.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'll consider an enclosed trailer -- good for trips. But need to weigh against local use and just carrying stuff like a fridge or something tall. For which I could just rent a u-haul. Decisions, decisions.

Dumb question for the more experienced. I kayak in places were sometimes the truck needs to take a 'step' up/down off pavement. Not a smooth incline but more like driving down a rock or small step in elevation. My truck doesn't have an aggressive approach/departure angle -- is trailer going to be okay for stuff like this? If not, that may be a deal breaker. Definitely need to be able to handle off pavement conditions like 6-8" steps in the trail.

Also, a lot of the 5x8 utility trailers I see have a rear ramp. Can I remove that easily? Kayaks will need to extend beyond the end.

You should be able to remove the ramp easily.

You're going to want a longer trailer or if the kayaks stick off of the back say 4' they could run on the ground going up a driveway entrance or things like that.

You might be better off buying a 12-15' boat trailer and putting bunks from side to side for the kayaks to sit on. Whatever trailer you buy, the larger the wheels the better......15" etc.

Going over a a small step the height of a parking curb should be ok if you're going super slow.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking about going with a Malone personally. It looks like it should be small enough to store and move around easily but big enough to carry 2-4 yaks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I’m thinking about going with a Malone personally. It looks like it should be small enough to store and move around easily but big enough to carry 2-4 yaks.

Yeah. I think I’m going to do this too. All the other suggestions are helpful for ideas. But I’m going to use my rack for storage as well, and when not in use (with the retractable tongue acdessory) I can stand it upright in the garage.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
If I get something like the Big Tex 30SA, can I install larger wheels to be at least the same as my truck wheels? 33” in diameter? I think the additional ground clearance may be good when travesing steps in elevation.

And can I get the trailer to accommodate a pintle hook hitch if needed?

I’m a little concerned about break over clearance so thinking shorter (5x8 or 4x6?) and higher might be better

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If I get something like the Big Tex 30SA, can I install larger wheels to be at least the same as my truck wheels? 33” in diameter? I think the additional ground clearance may be good when travesing steps in elevation.

And can I get the trailer to accommodate a pintle hook hitch if needed?

I’m a little concerned about break over clearance so thinking shorter (5x8 or 4x6?) and higher might be better

You'll probably have to move or even replace the fenders to accomodate the bigger tires.

Have you ever pulled a trailer with a pintle hitch? I'm not sure you're going to be happy with the banging and clunking that goes along with the use of one.

Contact Big Tex about building one custom for you. Maybe they'd do it.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
just find a jet ski trailer and modify as needed. That way you can park do any rigging and stow any gear while upright. Back down the ramp, launch, secure your kayak, park, and return. Repeat in reverse order when time to go home. It is much easier than any of the other options.

Posts: 914 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Yeah. I think I’m going to do this too. All the other suggestions are helpful for ideas. But I’m going to use my rack for storage as well, and when not in use (with the retractable tongue acdessory) I can stand it upright in the garage.

Did you guys get the Malone? Like it?

Why the Malone over the similar Yakima - Malone is cheaper (by ~$500) and has better load rating? Or something else? Or indifferent and Malone was just convenient to get?