SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My daughter wants to take a trip... should I be concerned for her safety?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My daughter wants to take a trip... should I be concerned for her safety? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Make some business cards with your name and number with the following quote: "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will kill you."

Seriously, I would make sure she has some bear spray for national parks. I also liked the idea of the satellite phone. I don't know about back east but in the western national parks, there are a lot of spots where you have no cell phone coverage. Does she know how to change a tire too? Basic maintenance skills may be helpful in the case of overheating, jump start, tire issues, etc.

You asked about Vasque boots. I used to sell them and still wear them. They are associated with Red Wing Boots. I wouldn't put them as a top tier boot but more than adeqate for what you are talking about.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SPOT, ACR or Sat Phone.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Maybe a contact number for a SF member near that area.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Heck, I went to Europe for a couple months when I was 20. First month with a foreign lamguage class, the last I took off with a friend and toured Europe on the Urail. Made a deal to call my mom every Wed at a certain time (this was over 2 decades ago, no cell). As a young girl in several foreign countries, I did fine. Even separated from the friend for a weekend or so to visit another friend stationed in Germany at the time. It all worked out great. It'll be the experience of a lifetime.

I currently have an iPhone app called "find your friends".. I'm sure there are several similar apps out there that use GPS..it won't work in the actual wilderness, but my biggest concerns for her would be on the roads, and in civilization, actually Wink

And p.s. I don't think bear spray works so great? Maybe look into it a bit more before purchasing.

Time to let her spread her wings (but acquaint yourself with the unknown friend first)!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
SPOT, ACR or Sat Phone.

Sat phone can be tricky in a canyon. They're also bulky (especially the last gen rentals) and while not heavy per se, a lot heavier than the PLBs.

The PLBs will be much more forgiving in terms of "line of sight".

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Have all three read "Trail Safe" by Micheal Bane.

The elevation can do a number on you if you aren't used to it.

An extra pair of sunglasses, in case the first gets broken.

That's about all I can add.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
SPOT, ACR or Sat Phone.

Sat phone can be tricky in a canyon. They're also bulky (especially the last gen rentals) and while not heavy per se, a lot heavier than the PLBs.

The PLBs will be much more forgiving in terms of "line of sight".

-Rob

I will strongly reccomend the Garmin InReach device for emergency communication. We have one we take in the back country and there are two additional benefits the others don't offer.

1. You can leave "breadcrumbs" to mark your travels that people she wants to see (YOU) can follow online.

2. If an emergency does happen in addition to sending out an SOS to a 24 hr monitored site it gives her the ability to text with them at the same time.
Highly Reccomend!!!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Get her a SPOT messenger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...HbVx0zDpL&ref=plSrch

Did you read the reviews??

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you how many road trips I took through that neck of the woods at that age. Granted, it was thirty years ago, but still....

She'll be fine as long as she has a good head on her shoulders as I suspect she has.

And, in answer to your OP question? Yes, you should be concerned. You are her dad. That doesn't have an expiration date. My youngest is 31 and I still get concerned when she's out and about. Wink

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
To give you peace of mind I think there are places that allow you to rent a sat phone. This way even if she is hiking somewhere with no reception you can still get a hold of her.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she'll be fine but you're dad and you probably still worry if she was in a tent in the backyard.

You know your daughter and know she is capable of you would already have your answer.

At that I age I went gallivanting around Italy, Croatia, and Bosnia.
High school road tripped and camped through out Colorado. Multiple times slept in a self serve car wash under the Jeep somewhere in Kansas during a tornado. Felt it was safer than the tent we just popped up in a church yard that night.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
On a more serious note, I'd just recommend they not underestimate their conditions. Utah can be unpredictable. Something as simple as setting up camp on a sandy bar can be fatal in a flash flood from a storm miles away. They'll most likely be safe from human predators, but when the Jr DFs go out, I make sure they are not defenseless. That, and a sober careful plan with lotza pics texted back to dad ought to produce a life time of memories! They are in for a treat.

I am looking of a pic at my dad hiking in the Zion Narrows (pic taken by my brothers, I wasn't invited Smile ). Incredible scenery/experience. But a flash flood can hit and there is only one ending possible.

As you know, Utah has some of the most staggeringly beautiful scenery on earth. I think it rivals your own State in quality if not quantity.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29694 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
To give you peace of mind I think there are places that allow you to rent a sat phone. This way even if she is hiking somewhere with no reception you can still get a hold of her.

Having rented one several times, I can assure you that she won't want to carry it and if she were to leave it on all day, the battery would be toast by lunch. Also - good luck receiving calls without the antenna deployed. They just don't quite work like cell phones.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
You should be concerned sure.

You have a few options. You can follow her in a support vehicle of some kind...

Black Helicopter

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
flashguy,
I've known one of them for a long time. She played high school softball with my daughter. Very athletic, adventurous, but not crazy.
The other girl is one of their college friends who I don't know.

My wife read this thread last night and spoke with the mother of the girl we know. We also learned more about the other girl we don't know. She's from AZ and we have several contacts there now including a grandparent who can pick them up if need be.
She now has a better feel about things.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Well.... they are on their way.
Tulsa to Show Low yesterday and now on the way to Flagstaff.
No Black Helicopter, but we are receiving regular texts, with pictures, and they have incorporated much of the advice given in this thread.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Well.... they are on their way.
Tulsa to Show Low yesterday and now on the way to Flagstaff.
No Black Helicopter, but we are receiving regular texts, with pictures, and they have incorporated much of the advice given in this thread.

Save those pics, they will become more valuable with time.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:....As you know, Utah has some of the most staggeringly beautiful scenery on earth. I think it rivals your own State in quality if not quantity.

Both have beautiful scenery, but Utah doesn't have nearly the concentration of certified liberal insanity that CA does. (And technically CA is not my state, we are thinking the change will come by year end.)

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Any other advice?"
Force her to watch two movies before going:
1. Taken
2. Backcountry

Both available on netflix

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Two separate issues I see here:

1. Roadtrips, generally. I see no problem with this. A cell phone, a credit card, cash in hand, and her head on a swivel is all she needs. The world is actually a much safer place than it used to be, it's just that the media makes it seem that it's in a downward spiral. Together with the fact that she'll probably be on social media at every opportunity and cell phone coverage is generally very good throughout the country, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

2. Backcountry Hiking. Hikes into the backcountry (more than a day walk into the wood) require an additional skillset. It's not a particularly difficult to acquire skillset, but people who venture into the woods for more than a day at a time should understand their ability to self-rescue, and then stay within that safety margin. Self-Rescue may be as simple as a little extra food and water for an unplanned delay and a map and compass to find your way back to the car, or it can go all the way up to a satellite communicator for calling in the cavalry. Backcountry hiking is safe, if she has the knowledge and skillset to do it safely.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post