SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are these bees or wasps or hornets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are these bees or wasps or hornets? Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
My neighbor's house is vacant and I noticed that a very large nest has developed in a crawl space under her house. Can the experts here tell from this photo if these are bees, wasps or hornets? If not, I'm calling in a tactical nuke because I am not getting any closer to get a better photo.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Big Grin

(They look like bees to me.)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Bees.

Maybe a beekeeper can move them.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They look like honey bees. Could be Killer Bees, though. Ya never know, until they attack.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Honey bees. Call a beekeeper. Don't kill them. The wax will melt and honey will go everywhere making a huge mess.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
They look like honey bees. Could be Killer Bees, though. Ya never know, until they attack.

Big Grin

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
don't look like any killer bees I've seen...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Honey bees. Call a beekeeper. Don't kill them.

A bee keeper might to come get and relocate them.

It's trickier than many believe: Bees in a Wall - What Can be Done?

I'd contact the neighbour and appraise them of the issue. Other than that I'd leave the bees alone. Unlike assholes (aka: "hornets," "yellow jackets," "wasps") honey bees and bumble bees are usually content to leave you alone if you leave them alone.

Unless they're Africanized. Then they can be worse than assholes.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Nothing to worry about...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Even if your neighbor has to pay to have the hive removed, a beekeeper would be the one to contact. Hopefully they aren't in a wall. If the hive is killed and the honeycomb and brood not removed, she'll have a stinking mess to deal with. I know this from bitter experience.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Bees please don't kill them>

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Nothing to worry about...

That's Eddie Izzard. I'd recognize him anywhere!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post