SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    'I'm a goner': Sea freighter El Faro had little hope as it sailed into storm

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
'I'm a goner': Sea freighter El Faro had little hope as it sailed into storm Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
A fascinating, yet sad read. I had to read the transcript of the below conversation a couple times. Cripes.

http://www.startribune.com/i-m...nto-storm/419230174/

"We had a hull breach; a scuttle blew open during a storm," Davidson explained tersely. "We have water down in three hold, with a heavy list. We've lost the main propulsion unit, the engineers cannot get it going." He asked for her to patch him through to a TOTE official immediately.

"Can you please give me your satellite phone number and spell the name of the vessel?" she asked slowly. "Spell your name, please?"

This undated image made from a video released April 26, 2016, by the National Transportation Safety Board shows the stern of the sunken ship El Faro. Amid howling winds, blinding squalls and massive waves, the freighter El Faro and its crew struggled for survival _ unaware that their course was taking them directly into the path of Hurricane Joaquin. All 33 crew members were killed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post