SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Denver Library = Homeless and Druggie Hangout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Denver Library = Homeless and Druggie Hangout Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duke762:
South Bend Indiana, same deal. You can't use the library in the evenings. When the library closes they head for their tent cities and abandoned buildings. No solutions forth coming. Our libtard mayor is building them tiny houses.....You have got to be kidding me.

I thought the tiny house project was for the metros and millenials.

Anyway, South Bend has the Center for the Homeless, a shiny feather in the progressive cap. Down the road is the Salvation Army "residence". The only thing I see coming out of there are bums riding their bicycles out to the major intersections and panhandling, one on each corner.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Over a full page and no one has mentioned the vermin. Specifically the bed bugs. I know, its not the bums fault they're infested and carry the critters along with them everywhere. OH wait, it is their fault. No reason to cut them any slack. Just as John Wayne said, vulture's gotta eat too. Same deal with blood sucking bedbugs. The government outlawed the effective pesticides (DDT)so now they use or try to use other things.

Our local main branch library has the "homeless" loitering all around it. The homeless shelter opens at 8:00 I think. Then the mob moves down a block to get their sleeping space, and trade vermin with others.

There was a time 30 years ago when I was on a mission to read all of Zane Gray's books. The library had some I couldn't find in the used book stores.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Downtown Tucson Library is the place for homeless/bums to go when the temps reach 100+.

The restrooms smell like an open sewer.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I used to do off duty security for a school a couple of blocks away from our library. I took several robbery reports for students that went to the library after school. Although there is a large homeless population, the thugs also congregated there and seemed to be the usual suspects.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
The Denver library was like that 15 years ago. If you want to see a contrast, look at the Douglas County library system (Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock and south metro area). Great system, online lending (ebooks, audiobooks), they bring in authors as speakers, great childrens' resources and programs, and they lend movies. It's one of the bigger losses I feel having moved away.

Wait. Legalizing pot didn't lead to rampant needle drug use and homelessness? Are you sure? I've heard first time you take a hit of pot, your instantly hooked on heroin and start selling your possessions to feed your habit?

quote:
I wonder if the problem was this bad before the fine citizens voted to legalize marijuana.

You can't be serious, are you? Roll Eyes
I meant in general and was not referring only to the addicts. Let me rephase it: "I wonder if the number of Denver's finest hanging out in the library has increased or decreased since the fine citizens voted to legalize marijuana."

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Same as the main library branch in shithole San Francisco. There's supposedly a full time social worker on site. WTF

This is particularly fitting, seeing that the library sits right across from City Hall, where those assholes' idiotic policies encourage this sort of shit.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
A real problem is the librarians. Seriously.

Many have lost sight of their actual jobs and what libraries are for.

Now they're just SJW in charge of buildings and budgets....

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Big downtown libraries in large metropolis areas often have similar problems.

Yep.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently read that Libraries are now training staff on..... NarCan.
And Our Library here in Marquette is a beautiful building. And also popular with the "homeless".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Libraries are like dinosaurs. The sooner we convert them to something useful, the better. Wink

"Quote by me"

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A relative mentioned her local library in MI is about unusable due to the homeless taking over.

Last I saw, the San Diego, CA library was shutdown, looked a bit trashed.

The State of North Dakota is looking better all the time.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
A relative mentioned her local library in MI is about unusable due to the homeless taking over.

Last I saw, the San Diego, CA library was shutdown, looked a bit trashed.

The State of North Dakota is looking better all the time.

the Bismarck Public Library has a problem with homeless as well. Just not a huge problem yet. They have signs saying not to bathe in the sinks Frown

Downtown Denver is a wasteland. Was there last month and thought I was going to have to drop a junkie that was spun out on something and charged my daughter while singing

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I recently read that Libraries are now training staff on..... NarCan.
And Our Library here in Marquette is a beautiful building. And also popular with the "homeless".

Oh, and they are worried about active shooter from the mentally ill and homicide prevention as well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
How truly sad. For me, our library is a great resource for my child. They have several reading times for children, they bring in authors, have events, movies, lego builds, etc. it's been a great success for us in early socialization of children and learning to read.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
quote:
quote:
The Denver library was like that 15 years ago. If you want to see a contrast, look at the Douglas County library system (Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock and south metro area). Great system, online lending (ebooks, audiobooks), they bring in authors as speakers, great childrens' resources and programs, and they lend movies. It's one of the bigger losses I feel having moved away.

Wait. Legalizing pot didn't lead to rampant needle drug use and homelessness? Are you sure? I've heard first time you take a hit of pot, your instantly hooked on heroin and start selling your possessions to feed your habit?

quote:
I wonder if the problem was this bad before the fine citizens voted to legalize marijuana.

I meant in general and was not referring only to the addicts. Let me rephase it: "I wonder if the number of Denver's finest hanging out in the library has increased or decreased since the fine citizens voted to legalize marijuana."

Ahem . . .

"Colorado tries to fight homeless problem that may have been triggered by pot law" Link - Fox News, July 10

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Ahem . . .

"Colorado tries to fight homeless problem that may have been triggered by pot law" Link - Fox News, July 10

Nice try Razz

If you read it, the problem is attributed to the economy booming and jobs outpacing housing. Even employeed people can't find housing.

There was a tiny bit in there of fear mongering and speculation about pot.

I don't think it's that simple, legal pot does not lead to rampant needle drug usage. I am willing to bet though some hippies that are homeless decided they rather be homeless where they can get some primo shit, but I don't think it's a major contributor to homelessness. As the article you linked states, demand outpaces supply, leaving some to be without affordable homes. No conclusion can be drawn though connecting the homeless in the library mainlining dope to pot being legal.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
So the library is full of stinky, nutty homeless people because of the booming economy? Ok, got it. That makes perfect sense.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I recall going to the main library in downtown LA back in the early 1980's - what an awesome building and architecture

the locals worked very hard to keep it in great shape - homeless were not allowed anywhere near it - it was the refuge for people that wanted to actually go someplace and learn

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post