SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Denver Library = Homeless and Druggie Hangout
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Denver Library = Homeless and Druggie Hangout Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted
“Denver police bring new focus to downtown library amid spike in drug use, illegal activity”

Link to Denver Post
Link to Denver Library discussion on same issue

I can’t imagine normal people wanting to visit or bring their kids to the library, or what it would be like to sit in the newspaper and magazine reading area.

I wonder if the problem was this bad before the fine citizens voted to legalize marijuana.

The problem is probably not unique to Denver.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what became of the downtown library in San Diego.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here too. I can't see much of a practical function of a public library with physical books when pretty much any fact from the entirety of human history can be accessed from your phone. If you can't Google it, it probably isn't in the local stacks either.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Denver has become the asshole of Colorado. Thanks to the "refugees" from other locales when the shit they created became too much for them to handle drove them out. They came to Denver and turned it to the same shit hole they left.

Kind of like N. Virginia today with those who fled where they were, came here and proceeded to recreate what they left behind.

Sadly, a lot of them seem to be moving into N. Idaho now as well.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Here too. I can't see much of a practical function of a public library with physical books when pretty much any fact from the entirety of human history can be accessed from your phone. If you can't Google it, it probably isn't in the local stacks either.

Well, not entirely.

I wanted to read Harry Truman's memoirs, now out of print. Amazon would sell a set for something like $750. The local library could get them on loan from two other libraries nearby. I did that.

I wanted to read The Complete Story of Civilization, 11 volumes, ~12,000 pages. Amazon's dead tree version is $350. The Kindle version is $100. I could have gotten a volume or two at a time through the library, but thought it would be nice to have them on my Kindle. All 11 volumes come in one huge file, making searching tedious to impossible, and there are so many typos, from a poor OOR scan that I panned the review. They could have done it right. I wish I had gone the library route and used the $100 to buy Russian ties!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
The Denver library was like that 15 years ago. If you want to see a contrast, look at the Douglas County library system (Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock and south metro area). Great system, online lending (ebooks, audiobooks), they bring in authors as speakers, great childrens' resources and programs, and they lend movies. It's one of the bigger losses I feel having moved away.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Anchorage has a library that has won architecture awards, but it also has a huge year around homeless problem. The library was the same as the OP described especially in the winter.

It costs millions of dollars a year in salaries and utilities to operate what has essentially become an excessively nice homeless day lounge.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The library is a nice, quiet place to go and read.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Same story at the Detroit Public Library in Midtown.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Trying to read a book on a phone?

Having a hard copy of many manuals is a plus. In addition most libraries today also have function rooms and is a source of internet access for some. Homeless probably are part of that group. I'm not about to condemn everyone who is homeless as a threat and a loser.

One of the best expenditures my former town ever made was the library which serves as a source of a community center and has the ability to host many functions and training sessions for various groups.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
The Denver library was like that 15 years ago. If you want to see a contrast, look at the Douglas County library system (Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock and south metro area). Great system, online lending (ebooks, audiobooks), they bring in authors as speakers, great childrens' resources and programs, and they lend movies. It's one of the bigger losses I feel having moved away.

Wait. Legalizing pot didn't lead to rampant needle drug use and homelessness? Are you sure? I've heard first time you take a hit of pot, your instantly hooked on heroin and start selling your possessions to feed your habit?

quote:
I wonder if the problem was this bad before the fine citizens voted to legalize marijuana.

You can't be serious, are you? Roll Eyes

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Say what you want, Denver/Colorado has a very high transient problem,homelessness has increased. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/le...omeless-to-colorado/ .... http://dailycaller.com/2017/05...to-panhandler-haven/

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Similar to all the Rich Seattleites getting mad when the homeless figured out it was legal to camp parks, and eventually they found Richy-Rich's park and camped there. Trashing the places, of course.

Talk about karma.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Say what you want, Denver/Colorado has a very high transient problem,homelessness has increased. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/le...omeless-to-colorado/ .... http://dailycaller.com/2017/05...to-panhandler-haven/
That's what you call a self inflicted GSW.

You mean all the potheads go where all the legal pot is? Shocker, eh?

Zero fucks given.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
That's all good and well but doesn't do any good to the ones that didn't vote for it. I have a couple years to work before I can retire. Then I'm outta here.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

Been like it for over 30 years! The Arapahoe Library District is the same as those mentioned. Wonderful locations, I go to Koelbel-a great respite from the noise and hectic pace of life.

There are similar problems in the law library across the street in the AG's building, security there finds the transients having sex and doing drugs constantly. The library in the building is open to the public.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

The library is a nice, quiet place to go and read.

Try reading children's books to your kids on your phone. Children's books can bankrupt you. Much better to have a good library to borrow from, sort the good from the bad, and only buy the very favorites (think grandchildren).

Try finding books from, say, the Naval Institute Press free online. I'll wait. They're far from the only publisher of specialized content, just one I've been reading the odd book from lately courtesy of my local library system.

The various free online content is very nice, and efforts like wikis (and of course the 'pedia) can be helpful for a very basic grounding in many subjects. But those sources also have severe limitations, both in depth and in trustworthiness.

A good library is a valuable resource to a community, useful to members of all ages. What they've allowed their library to become..... shameful.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
The main library in downtown Winston-Salem has been that way for the last 10-15 years. It became a cesspool and smelled like it. So their remedy was to tear down the old building and spend millions of dollars to build a new one.

How long do you think it will take before the new one looks and smells like the old one?

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
South Bend Indiana, same deal. You can't use the library in the evenings. When the library closes they head for their tent cities and abandoned buildings. No solutions forth coming. Our libtard mayor is building them tiny houses.....You have got to be kidding me.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Big downtown libraries in large metropolis areas often have similar problems.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post