SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Anyone Still Watch The Nightly News
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Still Watch The Nightly News Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I occasionally watched it up until about 1972 when I went to Korea and my teevee was stolen by the contract movers. (Thanks, guys, you actually did me a favor.)

As far as I have been able to determine since, and certainly in the last couple of decades, no sensible person watches the BSMedia for anything other than to be entertained. Many people complain about how inaccurate and slanted national “news”-reporting businesses are, but that’s like complaining that Pastor Bob doesn’t give sermons praising Satan. They know why their customers watch their shows, and that’s what they provide because they know that even their critics will keep going back for more. Most of their customers don’t want unbiased, accurate information, they want to be titillated, amused, outraged, and/or to have their beliefs confirmed—depending on the subject. We even see that here: Look at how many threads are started to report some inanity about someone with a funny name’s doing something stupid.

In fairness to the purveyors of such … stuff, we should realize that except perhaps to a small degree for an early period in television, that’s the way it’s always been. Pre-TV radio broadcasts were full of propaganda, and what was reported in newspapers during the 19th and (especially) early 20th century makes today’s outlets look staid and sensible.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
They know why their customers watch their shows, and that’s what they provide because they know that even their critics will keep going back for more. Most of their customers don’t want unbiased, accurate information, they want to be titillated, amused, outraged, and/or to have their beliefs confirmed—depending on the subject.

But that's just money-grubbing. The purpose of the broadcast is to sell advertising, and therefore to make money.
Everyone knows that. FOX is just as guilty, probably more so, of titillating the audience for filthy lucre.

quote:
In fairness to the purveyors of such … stuff, we should realize that except perhaps to a small degree for an early period in television, that’s the way it’s always been. Pre-TV radio broadcasts were full of propaganda, and what was reported in newspapers during the 19th and (especially) early 20th century makes today’s outlets look staid and sensible.

What's the difference between biased reporting, or viewpoint journalism, and propaganda?

I would submit it's when they are feeding us the "official" line of BS. Is the media an arm of the Democrat party, or is the Democrat party an arm of the media?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post