SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Anyone Still Watch The Nightly News
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anyone Still Watch The Nightly News Login/Join 
posted
I am so fed up with editorializing passing for news, I could scream. You can count on, at least the first ten minutes putting a negative spin on whatever Trump has done that day . He could come up with a cure for cancer and they would accuse him of causing thousands of hospital workers to be laid off . Now they claim, that he would be the major beneficiary of his tax cut plan. No mention, that so would people, who collect $400,000 for a one hour speech .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Early 90's (Gulf War) would have been the last time I saw a nightly network news broadcast. Swore off cable news in 03 or 04. I'm much better informed now than in the days of newspapers, nightly news and magazines. Haven't seen any of those relics in decades.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I don't, but I had this very conversation with my nearly 70 year old father.

For 40+ years, he has watched the CBS local news (it's the most local out of CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox) and then continues watching national news on CBS. We were talking about the election, and he was utterly shocked about the news I learn here on Sigforum that he isn't seeing on CBS. He tried to pass it off as its own slant, but I showed him Wikileaks and YouTube which is in the Demonrats' own words. Dad votes Republican but he was amazed at the glossing over and outright ignoring of the news by CBS.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The what?

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Turned it off November 4th 2008 and never looked back.

I do searches and follow my nose.

If it stinks, I walk away, if it smells like truth, I give it the look.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Nope. Not for years. I gave them every opportunity to come clean and make things right. Now they have lost me forever.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
That's a big N-O, like the others, haven't watched in years.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, I no longer watch network Nightly News. 2012 did it for me.

When I was growing up, the only TV station in town was an NBC affiliate. I grew up on the likes of Chet Huntley, David Brinkley and John Chancellor.
I used to look forward to NBC Nightly News back then, even more than the afternoon programming that targeted my age group. How many times can you watch the same episode of Hogan's Heroes?

But, that was a very long time ago and everything has changed.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The internet is my main news source now.Faster,more reliable,and less prone to manipulation than relying on one source.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I might watch the local news if I happen to be watching TV when it comes on and there's nothing better, but national news, no.

And, if something big happens, I'm watching Fox and CNN, not ABC, NBC, CBS.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Local news, yes. National news, no way.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
This is a thread I've thought about starting, I quit watching in June of '16.

I check here daily, Drudge and Lucianne for my news.
I too grew up on the Huntley Brinkley report were the newsmen smoked a cigarette and read you the news. Not what THEY thought the world ought to do - but what was going on in the country and the world.

I just hope the younger generation can see they are being led down the path of lies and ruination of our country by these bastards masquerading as newsmen.

GGF

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Reactionary
posted Hide Post
Its actually a said testament to where we are now. Integrity and objectivity has been out of the nightly news business for nearly a generation now. I really miss watching the news (as it was) as gave me at least some understanding of what was happening in the country and rest of the world. Now we are only seeing the spin that fits the progressive agenda.

Peter 5:8

Posts: 2329 | Location: Upstate | Registered: June 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
last time was before august 2004 we watched ABC with Peter Jennings.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
After pulling the plug two years ago, I can say I haven't missed national TV news in the least. Recently, I watched a youtube video of the Huntley Brinkley report from 1964. I don't know what political leanings those two gentlemen had, but they pretty much read the news of the day and refrained from editorializing while they were on the air.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Local news only.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I'm ashamed to admitted but I do just for local,(Fox 5) we have no daily paper anymore. I miss the news paper most of all.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The beanery where I have breakfast with the elderly (my coffee klatch) always has the CBS "local" news on when I get there. That's the only news I watch, and that, only halfheartedly.

At 7, the CBS national fake news starts. I leave before that crap gets cranked up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Don't remember when I last watched it.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I don't and haven't for years.

After Eric Sevareid said goodbye, that was it for me.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post