SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saw a bobcat hanging out in my backyard today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw a bobcat hanging out in my backyard today Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I was in Green Valley AZ last month for a few days.

While just driving around and looking at houses I saw a big cat run in front of me. It was very quick and I only got a 2 or 3 second look at it.

I'm not sure, but I think it had a tail, and I'm still trying to figure out what it was.

It was NOT a large house cat. I'd say it was probably the size of bobcats I've seen before.

There are most definitely bobcats in Green Valley, AZ, along with rabbits and javelina.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Had one run under my horse in some heavy brush, he was running from other horses and we were just in the way. We cleared a lot of brush, my horse Monk would not walk back in to that area again.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a very young Bobcat in the backyard this morning. We caught each other by surprise, and the cat was gone in a flash over the high backyard fence.

A few days(7-10)ago, I woke up and looked into the backyard. There were two(2) young Bobcats "lounging" on the top of my fence in the sun. I left them alone and watched them for a bit. An hour or so later, both were gone.

Perhaps the one that showed up this morning was one of the pair. Momma likely ran them of so that she can breed for this fall.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Great pictures.

Wikipedia tells me they are crepuscular -- they hunt in the dawn and dusk twilight periods. I have always thought of them as being pretty shy.

This year we are overwhelmed by (very bold) foxes here in the suburbs of Northern Virginia... probably because of the increase in squirrels and rabbits... probably because of the decrease in death-dealing automobile traffic through the summer... but I haven't noticed any bobcats (which eat the same food).

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I wish I had a bobcat that visited my home.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We've had a number of bobcats on the property. Fascinating to watch and they keep the darn rats and mice on their toes.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Wow! So cool! Beautiful cat!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had a two-fer.

I was in the Santa Cruz Mountains with 11 yr old Scouts. We were in "freeze-silent" mode as we saw a bobcat next to some brush a few yards away from us. We were watching the bobcat, it was watching us. Then three red tailed hawks flew a few feet over our heads, close enough we could see the wing feathers.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I was walking down a logging road as it was getting dark last winter, and I turned around to look back up the road just in time to see a bobcat, about twice the size of the one in your photo, walk out of the brush. He saw me, stood there for a minute or so, then just sat down. We looked at each other for a couple of minutes, then it just got up and walked off the other direction from me at a very slow pace. It was dark enough so that I had to zoom way in with a cheap camera and take photos to see what it was, cause it was dark enough so that I couldn’t tell what it was until I saw the photos when I got home.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a Bobcat in a long time. There was I ne ,a very big one in the area that I used to hunt. I would see it here and there. Got a few pictures of it. But it disappeared and I never seen it ever again.

I would see others here and there, but I haven't seen any for years.

Always stuck with their beauty, and agility.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Watching predators in the wild is a mesmerizing endeavor. They way that they move, interact with the environment, and smell/listen/watch can hold your attention for a good long time if they stick around the area.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a bobcat that was on the side of my house during harvest. I’ve never seen a bobcat at all until the farmers start pulling up the crops. They have learned that it stirs up all the animals and they will sit on the edge of the field and wait for lunch.

This one could definitely kill a small dog or child.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Neat pics, especially the last one.
Any other predators in your area?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Very cool. We have them here but I haven’t seen one yet.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome pictures. Would love to see one in the wild.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Neat pics, especially the last one.
Any other predators in your area?

Lots of them. I live on a 25 acre lake so there is a ton of wildlife. We have eagles, hawks, turkey vultures, foxes, bobcats and tons of coyotes. The coyotes gather on the other side of the lake every night. The sound of them getting together pre hunt will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

One morning we were leaving right as the sun was coming up and I saw what looked like a house cat but once I got close it looked to be 60-70lbs so I took a picture. It looked exactly like a mountain lion to me but they say we don’t have them in this area. I sent the picture to Illinois conservation and they said it was a house cat. The problem is they don’t realize those rocks are 5.5 - 6 feet tall so they don’t have a perspective of size. Way too big to even be a mancoon.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I think there was one in backyard this summer.

I was sitting on my deck with my dog (a large, very fast Pit Bull) and I saw a pretty large cat at the back fence.
The dog saw it too, and instantly took off after it. She chased it along the back fence and closed to within a couple feet of it.
When the cat got to the corner of the yard it jumped easily over the six foot stockade fence and got away.

The cat was fairly large and had a bushy tail like a bobcat. I don't think any domestic cat could have done that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I think there was one in backyard this summer.

I was sitting on my deck with my dog (a large, very fast Pit Bull) and I saw a pretty large cat at the back fence.
The dog saw it too, and instantly took off after it. She chased it along the back fence and closed to within a couple feet of it.
When the cat got to the corner of the yard it jumped easily over the six foot stockade fence and got away.

The cat was fairly large and had a bushy tail like a bobcat. I don't think any domestic cat could have done that.
I don't doubt it at all but they would probably rather keep that info on the down low.

I thought about having my wife stand by that rock formation and taking a picture. Then Photoshoping her at actually size into the pic with the cat. It would be obvious that there is no way it's a house cat.

It has to be a mountain lion because it's way too big to be a house cat and the tail and coloring shows it's not a bobcat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
You'd be amazed at what "just a house cat" csn do. Back about 2000 we took in a feral family. The one I liked best as a tiny black one with lots of Persian blood. She was my favorite.

Some how a bat got into the house. At that time we had a full herd of critters. The dog and all the cats took up the chase. Well, except my little black one. She took up a stand between the dining room and living room. Old house, high ceiling, probably 9 feet. All the others kept chasing. Little kitten stood her ground. Then the bat made a big mistake. It flew right over her, just under the ceiling. In one coordinated leap, it went to the ceiling and nailed the bat. She may have been a feral, but she knew how to hunt. Good skills. None of the others could have gone up that high.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
We’ve been watching one on our ring cameras for the last couple weeks. Really cool when she shows up. Also fox, coons, deer, skunk...it’s a busy yard this time of year.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post