SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saw a bobcat hanging out in my backyard today
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saw a bobcat hanging out in my backyard today Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Very cool pictures. The only one I've seen was a fleeting glimpse of one in Zion N.P. I was surprised at it's size, it was standing in the middle of the road, early AM.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Great pictures of a cool cat. Cool

Here kitty kitty.

Pipe Smoker: "I’d put some cat food out for it."
Where there's one there are more. Don't invite it indoors; soon we will be calling you the cat man. Smile

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
bassamatic, that looks like a strange variant of abobcat to me.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Living in town now so I miss the great outdoor pictures. Frown Great pictures...

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I thought 'Bobcats' were the young male prey of 'Cougars...'

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bobcats are very prevalent in my part of the country. I have an older female bobcat that had three(3) different litters(three kittens/litter) under the deck in my backyard. She didn't bother me, and I didn't bother her. Once they were big enough, she took them over the wall and into the desert/neighborhood to start their training. I keep water out for the desert critters, but do not feed any of them.

She sure stopped the doves from roosting in my big tree and messing on the deck. A lot of feathers around when she was here. I enjoy here company, and watching the little ones play and learn.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
This one was successfully hunting voles in the yard at my sister’s house:

[/url]

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ Awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I hope I am not hijacking your thread but here is a shot of a bobcat I picked up on one of my game cams. I went back to that spot with a tape measure and he was just about two feet from his paw to the top of his head. That would put him around 60 pounds I figured. Damn big cat.

That sucker looks huge!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
I would name him "Fluffy", and see if he liked being scratched behind the ears!!

Really cool photos, thanks!

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 1999 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
cool kitty cat...but not a house kitty.......drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Feed it? You gotta be kidding me.

These are dangerous predators that should be kept away from settled areas.

Around here we have a hunting season for them to keep their population in check and away from humans.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a neighborhood called Woodland Park. We regularly sight fox, deer and cougar in our backyards.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have them in my yard at least once a week. I was sitting out in my yard in a yard chair talking on the phone and one walked about 10 feet away from me, looked at me, gave no shits, and then continued on.

They aren't dangerous, which is kinda comical on the local Facebook neighborhood page. People always take pictures and "warn" the people that there are bobcats in the neighborhood. No shit. We have thousands of wild rabbits running around here, they attract the predators, and we have a ton of bobcats.

They weigh 16 pounds and you could boot one through the up rights if you were on a football field. The notion that these bobcats are "dangerous" is a laughable. At least for the ones around here.

Now I did have an 8 foot alligator under my truck last year, and a Florida panther in my yard too. I would be worried about those.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
bubba,

They ARE dangerous to pets and small children period. Yeah normally they are shy but those who become accustomed to residential area are certainly not. They're there to hunt.

Granted mountain lions are a bigger risk than bobcats but still it pays to be prudent.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Now I did have an 8 foot alligator under my truck last year, and a Florida panther in my yard too. I would be worried about those.
Yah? Well one morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know. Big Grin

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Our local Nextdoor site has a lot of critter alerts - rattlesnakes, coyotes, bobcats, scorpions, black widows, javelina, even mountain lions. Most won't bother anyone not bothering them. But just about all will bother small pets left in the yard.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
They are so cool. And have the most terrifying scream. I've been hunting all my life and I've only had the pleasure of seeing one ever.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was in Green Valley AZ last month for a few days.

While just driving around and looking at houses I saw a big cat run in front of me. It was very quick and I only got a 2 or 3 second look at it.

I'm not sure, but I think it had a tail, and I'm still trying to figure out what it was.

It was NOT a large house cat. I'd say it was probably the size of bobcats I've seen before.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
Bobcats are very prevalent in my part of the country. I have an older female bobcat that had three(3) different litters(three kittens/litter) under the deck in my backyard. She didn't bother me, and I didn't bother her. Once they were big enough, she took them over the wall and into the desert/neighborhood to start their training. I keep water out for the desert critters, but do not feed any of them.

She sure stopped the doves from roosting in my big tree and messing on the deck. A lot of feathers around when she was here. I enjoy here company, and watching the little ones play and learn.

That is amazing. What a cool thing to watch. I watched a bobcat when hunting, it was a real treat. But having the same cat raise three litters under your house is very cool. It sounds like you and momma bobact had an understanding of sorts. I believe that exists sometimes between various wild creatrues and people in close proximity. I think wildlife are pretty smart, more so than some people may realize who don't spend time outdoors hunting, camping, or hiking.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
bassamatic, that looks like a strange variant of abobcat to me.

Here is another pic of that cat with a different angle. Just a damn big bobcat!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post