SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rant of the day.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rant of the day..... Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
Gun sellers who refuse to accept personal checks and insist on USPS Money Orders or a cashiers check/certified funds and then make you wait five business days until funds post before shipping.

I mean...what's the point?

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Because cashiers checks and money orders are forged every day. Most banks will take them and post them and it takes 3-5 days before they are returned if they are fraudulent.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I've bought a few off Gunbroker & other sources with a personal check, my preferred way. I don't mind if the seller waits 10 days or reasonable for it to clear.

Of course it's up to the seller to set the rules. I think a few of the others can be forged too.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It's about not getting burned by some neerdowell buyer....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
My point is that there's no difference between any of them at that point. Besides, with a cashier's check, you can call and verify funds with the serial number (same with Postal Money Order)

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Because cashiers checks and money orders are forged every day. Most banks will take them and post them and it takes 3-5 days before they are returned if they are fraudulent.

Forged / fraudulent as in counterfeit and not issued by a bank / USPS?

If it's something issued by a bank / USPS, then there is never an issue, right? Or could it still not yield funds expected?

For example, if I sell a car, should I not accept a cashier's check? Or is it only okay if I go to their bank with them and watch them get the check issued - after that it's assured to be okay?

I know that personal checks can bounce, but I'm not sure how MO/CC can result in no money.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Gun sellers who refuse to accept personal checks and insist on USPS Money Orders or a cashiers check/certified funds and then make you wait five business days until funds post before shipping.

I mean...what's the point?

His stuff to sell, his rules. Wink Don't like it? Go elsewhere. But, I do understand your frustration.
What annoys me more is ones who only take USPS MO. First, I despise USPS, and I don't want to give them any extra $1.50 - $1.60 for each MO. Cashier's Check or MO from my bank, no fees.
Personal check is easiest. They can wait 10 days to clear, I don't care.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
There are lots of cashiers check schemes. I'm sure USPS has seen fraudulent money orders. Both are considered "live funds" which means cash bearing instruments - a call to the issuing bank or USPS can confirm its valid (be sure to find the # yourself, not on the check b/c that's an obvious way to run a scam)

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

His stuff to sell, his rules. Wink Don't like it? Go elsewhere. But, I do understand your frustration.
What annoys me more is ones who only take USPS MO. First, I despise USPS, and I don't want to give them any extra $1.50 - $1.60 for each MO. Cashier's Check or MO from my bank, no fees.
Personal check is easiest. They can wait 10 days to clear, I don't care.

yeah...my issue is that you if you're gonna treat them the same, why bother limiting things?

I have to do a 45min round trip drive to deposit a money order at my bank b/c I can't use e-Deposit for it and my local post offices never have more than $100 cash in their drawer. My credit union treats money orders like checks so there's zero benefit to me for cash in hand to validate its legit.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Nobody is making you buy your next toy from that seller. Go somewhere else. Why make a big deal out of it?

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I believe rants are supposed to go in the "what's your deal" section.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post