SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found! Need a new wireless internet router.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found! Need a new wireless internet router. Login/Join 
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted

Update;

Ending up getting the NetGear AC1750 router and the tested speed went from 15 with the Belkin to almost 100 with the NetGear unit.

Its been hooked up for several weeks now and is doing really well. Can never tell when others are on the network with any other devices.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Probably long past due but I need to replace the Belkin wireless router.
My needs are much. Just have laptops, tablets and Iphones.
Have Charter internet service which is decent but I'm sure the 7-8 year old Belkin is bottlenecking things up.
When the kids and grandkids all get on its pretty slow.
Budget is tight and Wal-Mart is convenient but Amazon is available so any advice would be helpful.
I know I've seen a few other threads on this topic in recent months but a search turned nothing up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mustang-PaPa,

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3080091134/p/1

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart you say...

Here's a pretty good one.

Archer

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results with the Netgear Nighthawk 1900. I can now make HD WI-FI calls from any floor, room, closet in my 2-story house.

I don't have a land line. Now I don't worry about waking up at 3 a.m. having a heart attack and no bars on my phone.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Para and all thanks.

Had some questions after reading briefly on some of the specs pertaining to possible control of set up options.

Some offer guest access. How controllable is the guest set-up. Can parental or grandparental internet access be setup? Is the internet access either all or none?

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Guest is just internet access with no access to your local wired network. Some routers have parental controls that you can set time periods and max online time.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are on charter you most likely need a new modem if you old one is 7-8 years old too.

It might be a bottle neck as well.

If you are not renting it from them.

Link for the best modems

http://bestreviews.com/best-modems

You need a docsis 3.0 for any real throughput

The surfboard is the tried and true for as long I can remember.

I would buy the best router from Netgear that fits your budget.

Their high end technology is much faster than the cheaper ones.

The more you pay the faster you go.

Check eBay you can get good deals if you are patient.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I bought the Netgear Nighthawk AC3000 and I'm very happy with it.

https://www.costco.com/NETGEAR...oduct.100369549.html

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Check out the Motorola n300 it is compatable with Comcast. They are anywhere between $69 and $80 depending on where you buy. I have been using one now for about a year and have had zero problems.
Thet are also compatable with Charter.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Although purchasing makes sense, with Verizon I rent both a main wireless router and a second floor wireless extender. No issues.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Just yesterday we got rid of our old Belkin and bought the NetGear Nighthawk. Every part of the house now has great reception.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Avoid Linksys WRT 1900 AC at all cost (or any variant of it).

Spent a lot on it, ended up only being able to use it for the 5.0 ghz channel (unit is a 2 channel 2.4 and 5.0)

Ended resurrecting my 15 year old Linksys for the 2.4 channel

Apparently Linksys was bought out out by Belkin or some other low end company and their quality has since declined.

Wish I would have bought the Nighthawk.....

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post