SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bill Maher: We need to learn to live with people we disagree with
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Bill Maher: We need to learn to live with people we disagree with Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the issue with a war of political values (vs one of entire states desiring the right to self govern, even at the expense of an entire race of people) is that geography made the American Civil War one to more easily see who your enemy was, whereas if it came to blows over politics, that would get hazy. Do we call time out and send all the libs to the Northeast and California before we say "go"?

Only being a little facetious here, things would truly devolve quickly should it come to a shooting conflict. Where do you know that has a true homogenous population of conservatives only?

I thought this way for a long time, and said so more than once on this board. But there are clearly identifiable targets that could be hit on both sides. Planned Parenthood. The Southern Poverty Law Center. The NRA offices. Fox News. Very soon there will be campaign offices everywhere from both sides. And there actually are some overwhelmingly liberal neighbourhoods, and overwhelmingly conservative. Also, it's easy to identify R versus D voters. Houses could be targeted that way.

It would not be a civil war that resembled the first one, with sides divided by a geographical line, but rather widespread scattered violence across the country.

One thing for sure: it would be violent and ugly beyond what we think. We would all soon want it to stop, but there's no stopping it when it has its own momentum.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maher did admit at one point that he’s been guilty of mocking red states “rubes” for years, but said he wants to “try to stop, because I’ve learned that the anti-intellectualism on the right doesn’t primarily come from stupidity, it comes from hate.”

Asshole.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
This is the same argue of thinking you need to always be honorable and tell the truth <gasp>.
Well, if you are dealing with a liar, a cheat, a dishonest person, I feel zero compulsion to be honorable and truthful, since it will only be used against me.

Those fuckers like Bill want it peaceful because they know they'll lose badly if it goes sideways.
And I don't say this wishing for a war, I say it as a matter of course. A war would be bloody, costly, and horrible.

The left wants our freedoms, they want our labor, they want our property. And they want to take it via the ballot box, via the judges, all 'legally'. But just because it's a law doesn't make it moral.

Look at Germany pre-WW2. Lots of voting, lots of ballots, lots of laws. But none of it was moral.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Also, it's easy to identify R versus D voters. Houses could be targeted that way.

Simply an R vs a D is way too simplistic. Take the recent Louisiana governor's race. Many of those who voted for the democrat also support the President and said there was no doubt that they'll be voting for him in 2020.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
What made the U.S. unique among all other nations was its proclamation that our rights do not derive from the government but from God.

And this encapsulates the fundamental difference between lefties and conservatives. To the left, government is the be-all and end-all. It bestows rights that meet with its approval and restricts or eliminates those rights it doesn't like. This mentality is so fundamentally antithetical to the very fabric of our country that I don't see how the two sides can ever live in peace. Conflict is inevitable.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
So basically he's telling his disciples that they need to quit arguing with the right because they can't get us to understand how smart he/they are... because we aren't smart enough to comprehend their greatness.

He can kiss my midwest conservative right ass cheek.....

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Maher did admit at one point that he’s been guilty of mocking red states “rubes” for years, but said he wants to “try to stop, because I’ve learned that the anti-intellectualism on the right doesn’t primarily come from stupidity, it comes from hate.

Asshole.

Oh yeah. "Asshole" defines him well.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
What made the U.S. unique among all other nations was its proclamation that our rights do not derive from the government but from God.

And this encapsulates the fundamental difference between lefties and conservatives. To the left, government is the be-all and end-all. It bestows rights that meet with its approval and restricts or eliminates those rights it doesn't like. This mentality is so fundamentally antithetical to the very fabric of our country that I don't see how the two sides can ever live in peace. Conflict is inevitable.

Yes. That's exactly it. That's what Bill Maher either ignores or doesn't understand.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simply an R vs a D is way too simplistic. Take the recent Louisiana governor's race. Many of those who voted for the democrat also support the President and said there was no doubt that they'll be voting for him in 2020.

I didn't say it was a good method, only that it could be used. In Sri Lanka, Tamils were killed because they were mistaken for Singhalese. Singhalese were killed mistaken for Tamil. This is part of the ugliness.

Also, both sides are always claiming retaliation for the last thing the other side did. And justification in the same way.

If schoolchildren were hurt and killed on one side-- let's say actually by mistake. A transistor radio bomb meant to be picked up by a Singhalese adult at the Colombo train station is picked up instead by a Singhalese child who takes it to school, turns it on, and blows up himself and several little kids. Now Tamil schoolchildren are targeted and killed in retaliation.

If civil war actually comes to our country, horrible things happen.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
He knows that he has pushed us so far that he has an ass-kicking coming. Now he would like for us to play nice. Cowardly Asshole.

They are still dancing around how to keep the shooting from starting until after they have taken away the guns.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
If civil war actually comes to our country, horrible things happen.

They call it war for a reason.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You guys also really need to watch the video. Not mentioned yet is him dropping "Liberals are described as weak, lame, coddling, oversensitive and limp-dicked. Which are strong words for a bunch of mouth-breathers, shit-kickers, knuckle-draggers... [waits for applause to die down] Bible-thumpers, sister-fuckers and rubes."

Maybe I'm a rube, but I'd rather have Billy Bob Shit-kicker by my side, thumping his bible so long as he also brought his AR should Bill Maher's worst nightmare come true. What Billy Bob does with his sister in his own time isn't my concern. Billy Bob doesn't want to tell me how to life my life, Bill Maher. He wants to be left alone, just like me.

We conservative types have been "living with" liberals and leftism for a long, long time. They demand and take, and we give. Always. Now that we have a president who is pushing back and after almost three years of trying to undermine and overthrow the guy, now they're starting to tell each other "hmmm, we can still hate, loathe and mock everything about conservatives and their culture, but maybe we should consider dialing it back a notch from 'see a Nazi, punch a Nazi' because as smart as we are, once that can of worms is open, it's open." It's like the how the 110lb chess club nerd shouldn't try to sucker punch the mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging varsity linebacker in the lunch line, because that linebacker and his linemen are going to be waiting after school. If they don't catch him that day, there's always tomorrow.

Some of his words, I agreed with. He even got me to laugh a couple times. But his smug superiority and his evident disdain for anyone who isn't a liberal elite brought me to the conclusion that even if guys like Maher and Obama are starting to come out and try to plead for the left to dial down the derangement a tad, we're already hit a tipping point.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Never forget the single shining truth about democracy,” Maher said. “It means sharing the country with assholes you can’t stand.”

That says enough right there to make me ignore whatever else he had in the past or has in the future to say. He is the enlightened and anyone that does not see things the way he and others of his ilk do are rubes.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Truly, I feel the overriding message was "stop trying to reason, we're past that. Put your fingers in your ears, change the subject and try not to puke on the Thanksgiving dinner table when Great Uncle Bob says the family prayer and includes Trump. When it's all over and you've had your gluten free turkey and the side of steamed kale you brought that nobody else touched, you can leave in your Smart car, laughing at the Truck Nutz and gun rack in Great Uncle Bob's rusted out pickup, to return to your Tiny House neighborhood and have a laugh with your non-binary neighbor "Hope," and discuss whether ze should dye zer hair violet or indigo with hot pink tips."

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
why would I ever want to 'live' with someone that has the goal of destroying the country I adopted as my home?

I'd much rather see them totally and utterly destroyed as a species so they can no longer do damage to the US of A

not interested in living with them any more than I'm interested in inviting ISIS over for a BBQ this weekend

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Five words about Maher:
Fuck him, just fuck him.
And I dont want to cuddle up to anyone who hates me and wants to infringe on my rights.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Truly, I feel the overriding message was "stop trying to reason, we're past that. Put your fingers in your ears, change the subject and try not to puke on the Thanksgiving dinner table when Great Uncle Bob says the family prayer and includes Trump. When it's all over and you've had your gluten free turkey and the side of steamed kale you brought that nobody else touched, you can leave in your Smart car, laughing at the Truck Nutz and gun rack in Great Uncle Bob's rusted out pickup, to return to your Tiny House neighborhood and have a laugh with your non-binary neighbor "Hope," and discuss whether ze should dye zer hair violet or indigo with hot pink tips."

We just stopped having holidays with them. They aren't interesting, they aren't fun, and it's a waste of time to make the effort.

Last time we visited was after the 2016 election and Mom was worried the topic would come up - I made the point "I'm there to see family, I won't bring it up but if Aunt & Uncle Leftist stir it up, I'll gladly wade into the fray". It was uneventful as they held their tongues, but I doubt they would today - and booking at their and their spawns FB feeds, I'm not missing anything anyway - they are all hypocrites to the end.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
We just stopped having holidays with them. They aren't interesting, they aren't fun, and it's a waste of time to make the effort.

Sadly, we've done the same. It makes it a lot easier to not spend the money once or twice a year flying from West coast to East coast. I love my family and friends, but damn. My sister, and two out of three of my closest friends can't stand Trump, and then the numbers go up from there as it branches out. Fuck it, I'll go hermit before fighting with those folks.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Last time we visited was after the 2016 election and Mom was worried the topic would come up - I made the point "I'm there to see family, I won't bring it up but if Aunt & Uncle Leftist stir it up, I'll gladly wade into the fray". It was uneventful as they held their tongues, but I doubt they would today - and booking at their and their spawns FB feeds, I'm not missing anything anyway - they are all hypocrites to the end.

The last few times I've visited with my in-laws, there were all kinds of barbs and passive-aggressive snarky comments about Trump and I bit my tongue the whole time. Easier just to not spend the money. This year, I skipped the family vacation because of it. Sent my wife and son to visit the family. Thanks, I'm good. Kicked around the house for a couple weeks of peace and solace and went to the range with my neighbor a few times. Missed my wife and son, but I had a better time without the awkward political mist hanging over everything.

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
He didn't get very far into his self-righteous diatribe before turning right back into the asshole he is.

I would rather be a red state rube than a blue state boot-licking blowhard. I will wear rube as proud as I do being a deplorable.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
He didn't get very far into his self-righteous diatribe before turning right back into the asshole he is.

It was anything but an appeal for cooler heads to prevail among the left.