SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey Shugart, wake up and answer your phone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Shugart, wake up and answer your phone Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
Please tell me about your Canon IS binoculars. You're the only other person I know who has admitted to owning that device. I've got my 10x30s, but I'm considering the stronger models. Has your surface finish decayed to the point where it comes off in your hands? How long have you had yours? Any complaints?

OK, after you answer, you can go back to sleep.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've been perfectly happy with my 10X30s and they still work great. I haven't used them very much since I quit dating the bird watcher.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you happen to leave the batteries in them , do they run down ?
even with the power off?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've never left the batteries in them because of concern that the batteries will leak and mess them up. Without the batteries you've still got a great pair of binoculars, just no IS, of course.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a pair of the 10x30 for many years, since they came out, and a couple years ago the plastic latch that keeps the battery compartment closed somehow broke while they were sitting in their case in a closet. Still work fine once duct taped though.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Buy better batteries, like the 10yr Lithium ones. What I was asking Jim was about the finish. Its kind of a rubberized stuff that begins to get sticky. Then like glue or road tar. Then it comes off on your fingers. I guess that might be called a complaint, except they still work really well.

What I was looking at are the 18x50 that are on sale. 18 power binocs are unworkable when hand held. With the IS feature, it might be great.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
rburg, Amazon has them for $999. Have you seen them for less? There is one Amazon reviewer who mentions the problem with the deteriorating cover.

Posts: 18054 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post