SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plexiglass gun safe shelves
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plexiglass gun safe shelves Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
Does anyone know of a reason NOT to use plexiglass to set pistols on in the gunsafe. If I use plexiglass on shelf brackets in the safe, there is a visibility to see below. I'd beef up the edges for support.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any serious downside to using plexiglass (acrylic). It is easy to machine, and edges can be polished to a clear finish if properly milled, sanded and flamed. Of course it will scratch fairly easily, but to me that is a minor issue.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you are using some sort of pistol racks, you might find that stuff slides around pretty easily in which case you would need a mat or shelf liner of some sort which would then defeat the purpose of the plexiglass. But if using pistol racks then the ability to let light shine through and increased visibility sounds like it could be a good idea.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Actually, for many safes I have used a thin sheet of plexiglass underneath the safe after experiencing some rust when sitting on a raw concrete or block floor. (Obviously the safe has to be secured properly).

Worked really well at providing some insulation as well.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
I very recently had an acrylic closet shelf cut for the same purpose as you are pursuing, i.e., lighting improvement. I had two choices of material fabrication, i.e., one uses a casting process(the more expensive) and the other(which I elected to use) was extruded. They reportedly both use the same resin. Mine was slightly smaller than 2' wide by 3' long and is fully supported on a full three sides on 5/8" ledges.

Now here was the big surprise: For stiffness reasons I elected to use 1/2" thick acrylic and yet it SAGS of its own weight, no other loading, and by about 1/8" to 3/16" in the middle of the unsupported edge! In other words this stuff has rather poor stiffness. Not nearly as stiff as plate glass or decent wood planking, and is a huge disappointment in this regard. Of course I inverted it, hoping I might be encountering some molded in stress-but to no avail-it just downwardly sagged the same, when inverted.

It might be that the cast product is stiffer but I failed to inquire beforehand. I should have gone thicker but the price goes up exponentially it seems - or with tempered glass plate!

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
What about expanded metal instead?

Posts: 11157 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, it’s awfully slick and stuff would silde around unless you put some sort of covering on it which would seem to defeat the intended purpose.

This might work: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xaVgRj2e5_s

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Actually, for many safes I have used a thin sheet of plexiglass underneath the safe after experiencing some rust when sitting on a raw concrete or block floor. (Obviously the safe has to be secured properly).

Worked really well at providing some insulation as well.

I put a sheet under mine, as well. Cut it to size, drilled holes where the safe "tie-down" screws go thru. Bolted it down.

Too big to steal so anyone who decides to take what is in it will SOL!. Not to mention that it weighs something like 600 lbs, empty.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Maybe look into polycarbonate (Lexan) rather than acrylic?

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Maybe look into polycarbonate (Lexan) rather than acrylic?

This. polycarbonate is stronger and more rigid.
Maybe put down some non-slip shelf liner? It would still be partially transparent.
https://www.amazon.com/Non-Ski...n-Slip/dp/B00IXYIWC8

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Thin plexiglass works fine when boxed at the edges for enough stiffness with at least 3/8 thick wood.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't see a reason and really like the idea where you can have the plexiglass etched (Ruger emblem anyone?) and some LED side lighting.

Lots of potential for some creativity here.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
Polycarbonate, while it is a very strong plastic, has many rather different properties from those of acrylic, some of which are inferior and others superior. One of them is that polycarbonate, though many times stronger, is less rigid than the equivalent configuration of acrylic. Look into the GPa measure of stiffness used to so quantify. About the only practical way to increase the stiffness of acrylic sheet is to increase its thickness, aside/apart from applying external assists. Smile

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post