SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Music Management Program and App - PC and Android
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Music Management Program and App - PC and Android Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I need a program to burn, record and manage music on my PC, and transfer it comfortably to my Android phone.

I have software and equipment to record my vinyl records to my computer and convert them to MP3, and I want to be able to transfer those files seamlessly to my phone, and to manage the music files on my phone and back to the computer by a sync function.

So here's what I need to do:

first, transfer all of the music on my phone TO my PC.

Then, edit the music files, add tags and search terms, name some files and delete about 100 files that are voicemail and random computer sounds that were all collected into my Google Play app.

I then need to sync the clean files with my phone, and be able to burn CDs and my vinyl recorded MP3s back to my phone.

Any suggestions?

ETA: I'm not computer illiterate, so if the easiest thing to do is to plug my phone into the computer, treat it as a disk drive, copy the music folder over to my PC, do the edits and send it back, I can probably manage that, but I'd like an app that does the management, playlists, etc. for me.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
For getting all the metadata, Musicbrainz Picard is what I mostly use. It's user-contributed metadata, so not everything recorded is listed. If it is, and your files are even halfway-decently tagged, it'll populate the rest of the metadata.

Sometimes genre and moods aren't available, so mp3Tag is what I use to populate that-along with embedding artwork and lyrics.

I have an Android head unit with an external SSD running JetAudio for my player. I just do like what you mentioned-connect to PC, locate drive, and move files as needed.

Playlist Creator 3.6.2 is what I use for composing m3u playlists, but I think Android also recognizes wmp.

If you end up with corrupted playlists somehow, listfix() will go through and fix pathways. Occasionally, it will goof if you have multiple songs with the same name, so you'd need to look at the results and direct listfix() to the right one.

EDIT: If you have old or obscure stuff, Discogs is a good place to find metadata. And on the off chance you like game or anime OSTs, VGMDB is the best source for those. You'd have to manually enter that information in mp3Tag.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Opus Dei,

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mediamonkey for everything but mp3 tagging. It does album art ok, but poweramp on android gets higher res stuff. mp3tag is good to mass-tag stuff, but doesn't autotag. picard, as suggested before or if you like tinkering & beating your head against the table, beets.
USB-C + 'send playlist to xxxx' is pretty easy & quick. I usually carry around 50GB on my phone as I'm not usually able to stream stuff.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I use JRiver Media Center. It's fantastic, immensely powerful, inexpensive, American, and well supported by staff and the user base.

It'll do those things, but it does a boatload more which may or may not interest you.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much to all who replied. I'll check out the suggestions, and give it a try.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post