SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPDATE PG. 2 - HVAC/Plumber Question Re: FlashShield/CSST @ Water Heater Install
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE PG. 2 - HVAC/Plumber Question Re: FlashShield/CSST @ Water Heater Install Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It can be grounded outside, but you should be able to see it.
Is this on LP or natural gas?

All CSST is metal, "Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing"

References for grounding.
AGA - American Gas Association:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=...lZ5QDW9xs85Q_5I-14v6

NASFM - National Association of State Fire Marshals
https://www.naic.org/cipr_news.../vol4_nasfm_csst.htm

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's natural gas. I'll look outside for a bonding clamp/ground tonight when I get home, hopefully in the daylight!

My question about the previous ca. 2005 yellow line is basically; could the yellow line have possibly been anything other than yellow CSST? Was there ever a yellow gas line material that WASN'T CSST? Or is it certain that they just replaced one color CSST with another?

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
There is yellow MDPE and HDPE tubing used for gas lines but not in your application (above ground).

Yellow high-density polyethylene is used around here for underground work. With Stab-Loc fittings.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Does the newly installed pipe have and markings stamped on it to identify what you have for sure?

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it says GasTite right on it. I'm just wondering if they possibly needlessly replaced perfectly fine yellow CSST, or if the yellow could have been something bad that needed replaced anyways.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your standard service thing of you got to meet current standards... which is usually a crock. The charge is not out of line except that they gave you a firm price. I would never charge a customer more than I quoted with out their approval. I think it is a crock but then it is pretty normal in the service industry.

I've been doing service work on houses for 38 years and would never even consider charging more than I quoted.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:

My question about the previous ca. 2005 yellow line is basically; could the yellow line have possibly been anything other than yellow CSST? Was there ever a yellow gas line material that WASN'T CSST? Or is it certain that they just replaced one color CSST with another?

Both are CSST, nothing else is or was available.

quote:
Yes, it says GasTite right on it. I'm just wondering if they possibly needlessly replaced perfectly fine yellow CSST, or if the yellow could have been something bad that needed replaced anyways.

They replaced a well known CSST product with the new, improved flashshield CSST line from the same manufacture.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget that the SS in CSST stands for STAINLESS STEEL

That stuff isn’t cheap, that price doesn’t sound bad to me at all.

My first house I upgraded to NG from oil, the HVAC guy ran all black iron pipe.

The second house I had done same way, oil to NG conversion, the same HVAC guy ran the CSST.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too many techs are running black pipe any more, given the ease of installation using CSST.

When you come across a tech still using black pipe, you have found your 'guy'.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
... the guys told me ... my 16 year old yellow gas line wasn't up to code ... They said they either had to ground it, or replace it with the new FlashShield/CSST.

I had specifically asked before I accepted the bid, if the price was firm, and was told "yes, unless something really odd comes up". I offered to send pics of the previous install (done by same company in 2005), to ensure an accurate bid, and they said it was not needed. ...
After consideration, my opinion is that ungrounded FlashShield is not "really odd", but rather, a typically anticipated situation for which the techs were readily able to address. I would assume it was included in the installation. No change order was signed, no add-on price was discussed.

Respond vs react wins the day.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to the CSST/bonding/grounding, newer (revised 2018 edition, I believe) NFPA/IFGC guidelines do in fact allow local jurisdictions to decide if black "arc-resistant CSST" (Gastite FlashShield being one) can satisfy the grounding requirement, if the appliance connected to that gas service is grounded thru the home's electrical system. All yellow still requires it. Saw it in writing, and I verified with the local inspector. Wisconsin, and other states allow it. Nonetheless, I'll probably bond it myself, for additional precaution.

In regards to the bill, I don't agree with a whopping $363 "change order" which 1) wasn't actually discussed/approved, and 2) could have been altogether avoided, as I could have bonded it myself prior to their arrival. Nonetheless, I checked around (contacted 3 other places for quotes) and it seems that even with the gas line work/charge included, I got a smoking deal. Therefore, I just peacefully paid the invoice, and never mentioned it to my contractor. At the end of the day, I wasn't overcharged for the unit and installation, so I'm calling it a win.

Thanks guys for your time and help!